Builds Bringing back my 74 FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I burned in that square tubing, still need to finish paint it. Pulled the top off this afternoon. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been off in 20 years. Excited about summer!

glad you got the ole gal back on the road......btw 1974 best year ever :flipoff2:

IMG_3202.jpg
IMG_3204.jpg
Replaced the crank in one door and the felt in the other, now I have two doors with windows that go up and down. Which is good...If I ever put the top and doors back on...
a>
a>

Replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders last week to get rid of a pesky leak (more like steady drip)

The past month or so I've had problems with the truck bogging down on hard acceleration. If I floor it, the truck will bog and if I don't let up it will die. I've got to kinda feather it to get it to go. The truck idles smooth and will accept slow acceleration nicely. Does this sound like a vacuum leak??? Problem with the carb?

It sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Do you know if the carb was rebuilt? (I didn't read your whole thread to see if you mentioned rebuilding the carb)
I would start with fuel feed, i.e. clogged filter or junk in the line. Pop the feed line off the filter (between tank and filter), remove the tank filler cap, then blow a few bursts of compressed air from the line into the tank to clear and junk.
You can also do the same thing from the carb , but you want to pull the feed line off the pump before doing it.
Also check the fuel pump, though, i'm not sure of the fuel pump symptoms... I tend to think it works or it doesn't.
If it still bogs down after doing these steps, then youve narrowed it down to the carb. It could be a clogged intake screen, clogged jets, or a bad power valve.

I tried to rebuild the existing carb but had leaking issues and for the sake of time bought a trolhole carb, so its "new" less than a year old. The gas tank was drained, new fuel filter.
I know when I had the carb off cranking the engine by hand was enough for the fuel pump to pump fuel all over the place.

Given that it is a Trollhole carb, I would suspect some junk in the fuel passages or jets in the carb. I tried to rebuild a TH carb and it would not idle correctly and would not meter fuel correctly, it just poured out of the venturi. I have rebuilt several OEM carbs with good success.

Last edited:
TRYING to make my first club meeting, going over my safety checks (farthest I've driven it from home) and no headlights.... grrr They used to work, then worked sporadically now nothing. Quickly pulled apart headlight switch and cleaned still nothing. Voltage on both sides of the fuse, nothing at the headlights themselves. No voltage at the high beam switch in the column in either position. I found no continuity from the back of the headlight housing to the - terminal on the battery. When I originally folded it down all of the bolts were seized and broke. only three loose bolts kept it snugged into place. I think I was just missing earth, threw some 1/4-20's through the empty holes now one headlight is bright and one is dim. Something may still be going on because I was only reading 9.72v at the bright light (with the truck not running) I'll have to investigate it further later, seems safe enough to go down the road??? The dim headlight has two broken solder connections on the back of it that are kinda snapped into place. Jiggiling those doesn't seem to make it brighter. Maybe my ground is still no good. Have to get out the door!

Truck has been running rough and felt like progressively worse. Fixed a couple errors on the rebut carb at a club tech day and put it on. The truck runs betterish maybe RPMs too high, can't really adjust... found this in the process...cracked intake manifold. Why did it crack?? It was milled with the exhaust manifold a year ago. Maybe the engine is running too hot??? bad water pump?? I need to find another one now.

image2_1.jpg

image1_1.jpg

image3.jpg

A local machine shop is welding the intake. Any thoughts on why it cracked? Maybe running too hot??

Was the exhaust riser shield in between the two manifolds? cracked intake is a common problem if it is missing.

I'm supposed to buy some used 31x10.50s this weekend. Score! I got the manifold back together and fixed a vacuum leak at the base of the carb. Looking forward to productive wrenching time at some point this weekend.

image.jpeg

IMG_0125.jpg

You might be running a bit lean because of that free flowing air filter. Happens all the time on motorcycles, when people ditch stock air boxes for pods, I'm fairly sure it will happen to car engines too. Do your plugs show the proper color? The stock air intake is probably quite a bit more restrictive, in effect enriching the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom