Builds Bringing back my 74 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ever since I put the 31" mud terrain on the rear swing out, it has been contacting the swing out hinge. Causing it to work it's way up several inches at times. The gf and I made spacers this weekend to move the spare tire a little further out from the truck. As I'm writing this and looking at the pictures I'm realizing maybe we should have made end caps for them. Anyhow, been so busy it felt good to spend a few minutes on the truck.

IMG_4228.jpg

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4230.jpg

Now shocks for my ride, raining so I haven't tried them out yet
IMG_5132.jpg

Good save

At some point, you can upgrade your spring plates to later model ones with integrated shock mounts that allow you to mount your shock lower and increase travel.

Now I've got a 1/2" clearance between the hinge and the spare. For the first time the spare sits flat against the mount. Its a little thing, but it made me happy.

IMG_4232.jpg

Hey those look just like mine! I still need to get my two plastic end caps. They should be available to fit your tube assuming you used a standard steel tube size.

Hey those look just like mine! I still need to get my two plastic end caps. They should be available to fit your tube assuming you used a standard steel tube size.

I harvested end caps from my dirt bike stand. Thanks for the idea stump!

Shocks are upside down...

I've seen shocks mounted both ways and the box said they could be mounted in either orientation. i think I'm good.

IMG_5137.jpg

IMG_5136.jpg

Just the way i feel haha. I look at it like this:

-make a fist around a pen with the vertical, now pour a small amount of water around it then move pen up and down where does the water go? Now try it with the exact opposite way haha. Just my opinion on shock mounting. All good man

sooooo water pump started leaking again. This time from the between its body and the back plate. I pulled it apart again and RTVed a good seal. After putting it all back together I see now that its also been leaking from the seal up front. :crybaby: So I did what I should have done the first time. I picked up a new water pump for 40 bucks after using my advance auto speed perks. Got it all apart again and see the new water pump has a different size hub and the pully wont fit over it.o_O After a little advice from rkymtnflyfshr and my neighbor, I got a puller and swapped the hubs. more of a pita than I thought but its finally done. Got it all back together and finally no coolant leaks! Sorry I missed the guys at GSMTR!!

IMG_5714.jpg

IMG_5716.jpg

IMG_5735.jpg

IMG_5736.jpg

At least you can drive yours!

Well, sorta... the trans sticks so bad going in and out of second that its almost undriveable. I've been collecting parts to swap to a four speed. Taking the truck to ryan next week. Feel like I'm punting a bit not doing it myself, but just don't have the space, time, tools, etc. Just want to drive it. I put the top and doors back on this weekend so it'll be semi protected sitting at the shop. Cant wait to drive it with a four speed!

IMG_6375.jpg

7709B42C-1444-4B4A-A205-72FCA83E680E.jpeg
The four speed works great, nice not to have to use both hands to pull the shifter out of second gear. As an added bonus Ryan replaced the rear main seal so the truck no longer leaves a puddle wherever it’s parked.

Thanks again to the capital landcruiser guys, especially ed, burl and charlton for helping me track down various electrical and vacuum issues. You guys rock!

D501D08F-25BE-410A-A252-F34CF2DDE626.jpeg
BB918D10-2901-48FB-8A8E-996B14ADF371.jpeg
FE6CF037-6493-4CBE-B5DF-B6A576DB9A80.jpeg

6C9D53F7-D996-4094-BB42-8EBBF297BCCF.jpeg
7863AB58-A824-4966-8E44-813636D5546F.jpeg
2EAC0475-BE0B-4544-82CC-2B4FD9E2D10E.jpeg
Bumming around the house sick all weekend. I think I’d drive the fj40 more if I didn’t have to move my van and motorcycle out of the way to get it out. It leaks too bad to keep it out in the weather so I started pulling up some of the failing sealer around the drip rail. Looks like white bath and tile caulk? I haven’t ordered it yet, but after some searching 3M fast and firm seam sealer seems to be whatnot people use.

Should I get some fiberglass patches and go over the cracks? Should I be worried about missing a few rivits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom