Builds Big Red Toy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got a price quote yesterday for installing a larger downpipe off the turbo. The muffler shop pretty much confirmed that the EGT issue I was having is because the 2.5 in pipe bends directly after the turbo making it an even smaller diameter. We're hoping they can fit at least a 3in downpipe and go larger as soon as space allows. It also looks like I'm gonna install a small muffler so that Big Red can legally pass inspection.
Hoping to get this done in the next week or so while I'm at drill.

Here's a pic for reference. This is what it looks like now.
20160409_142719.jpg

I've been busy with little red lately, installing a spoiler and chipping it, but I finally got the exhaust installed on Big Red today. So far I've been extremely happy with the results. My throttle response time is immediate, I'm able to hit higher RPMs in the first 3 gears and my boost is higher as well. EGTs are much lower on the low end but are only slightly lower when doing 70 or above. The reason being is there's still a sharp turn right off the turbo. I can live with the results since it's an overall improvement. The turbo whine is way more pronounced and the last section of the exhaust is removable if I choose to take it off before wheeling. Best of all it's now legal so when I take it to inspection I won't get any grief about it. Anyway, here's what we all care about, some pictures.

3 inches makes it sound way more aggressive and the turbo whistle is way sharper.
20160421_155209.jpg

This little bulge makes it legal now.
20160421_155222.jpg

Couldn't get all the way to the turbo, but they got as close as they could.
20160421_155248.jpg

This last section unhooks where the clamp is. Take about 10 minutes at the most.
20160421_155313.jpg

And here's my other expensive project. I'll spare the details for a different forum audience.
20160419_141823.jpg

Last edited:
Does your rear axle articulate enough for that original FZJ80 upper link bracket to hit the exhaust? Might wanna look into chopping it.

Does your rear axle articulate enough for that original FZJ80 upper link bracket to hit the exhaust? Might wanna look into chopping it.
That section is removable, so it shouldn't be an issue I hope.

Looking good!
Just curious if the new crossover pipe over bellhousing will heat the engine bay up?
Well, of course it will but does it matter anything?

The previous exhaust was narrower and went over the same way. I didn't feel it in the cab, so I doubt I wider exhaust would be any worse.

You could wrap that over the tranny part if it becomes an issue. With no carpet in my rig I did get some decent heat transfer so I wrapped it and it did help.

I'm sure some of us would be interest in hearing how she sounds now. If you find the time at some point set a camera or your phone up behind big red and rev it a few times. I would love to hear how the beast sing!

I'm sure some of us would be interest in hearing how she sounds now. If you find the time at some point set a camera or your phone up behind big red and rev it a few times. I would love to hear how the beast sing!
I'm hoping to get you a video soon. My camera phone won't do it justice

On another note, I've developed an oil leak. My steering pump has been leaking for months, but lately it's gotten bad. I'm hoping it's only the steering pump so I power washed the undercarriage to monitor where the leak is coming from.

20160423_191227.jpg
20160423_191236.jpg

Not the best pictures, but better than nothing.

Last edited:
Love the thread, nice build. I finally realize whos truck is on my desktop background. lol. Im gearing for a ride down to panama. My next build we be a roof rack like yours to fit the pop up tent. maybe I will put in air bags too since my rig is already 7100 pounds.

It's sunny and in the 90s here today. Just in time for AC. I picked up Big Red from a local shop that did custom AC lines. I'm tired of the old ones leaking or breaking . Here's what it looks like now.
Much beefier and should withstand the vibration better.
20160427_165311.jpg
20160427_171954.jpg
20160427_172010.jpg

On a more annoying note. My stereo system is messed up since I've power washed the undercarriage and engine bay. I'll try to fix it this evening otherwise it will have to wait a few weeks until I return from Va Beach.

Mike, who made the lines for Big Red?
It's an old Gentleman called Greg. Works at A1 Automotive in Georgetown. He says he also did the lines for a blue land cruiser with a chevy v8 and a bunch of wranglers with LS engines in them. Nice guy, knowledgeable and no BS.

Those lines are super clean.

He didn't give you a parts list by chance, did he?

The receipt just says parts, but I know what he did. He added a Sanden manifold adapter to the rear of the compressor and just cut AC lines to length and put on the right fittings.

These pictures are similar to what he used, but not the exact parts.

s-l300.jpg

s-l225.jpg

"Sanden Manifold Adapter". I need to source one of those.

Not sure if that's the technical term, but that's what he called it. He seems to be a big fan of Sanden compressors. Told me a story of how he knew the owners and used to party with them etc..

Those AC lines are very nice! Looks good on Big Red.

Hope the oil leak is just something small and easy for you to fix!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom