Barn Rebuild: The family heirloom (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking good, I love the progress!!! I kinda just looked at the pictures so I dunno what your engine/ trans plan is but if you need any lil ins & outs for that engine, I have the exact one sitting complete in my garage for sale, with a dead cylinder.... just figured if you're keeping that engine you may need a piece here or there when it comes time... keep up the good work those axles are looking good!!! Parts For Sale

The head has been rebuilt and is sitting in a bag awaiting the prep on the bottom end. New exhaust valves, hardened seats, brass guide liners, the full build. I'm going with the F135 that came in it. The bottom is in ok shape, except some rust in the water jackets. That is for a future chapter.

After a bite, I'll be back outside wire wheeling the rear axle housing. It's going to be warm enough for paint today.

Despite asking you all about color schemes, I decided I liked the look of cleaned, but not refinished warn hubs.
image-3355814369.jpg

It is a snap to blast and repaint the selector and just sand off the painted end to reveal good brass underneath. the letters and voids where your fingers go look brand new that way. That said, It looks good as is IMO.

Wire wheeled the rear axle housing today. Probably no paint this weekend. The gears are clean, unlike the front gears were. The wheel bearings are good. I'll get axle seals and reassemble before painting it all glossy black.

Edit: I meant to post more pics. App crashed. Lost pics.

Soon I have to decide if I want original 9mm brakes, or a full conversion to un-boosted 10mm brakes from a later vintage. I'm leaning towards the newer parts for serviceability and parts availability.
image-2927979839.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Heirloom - How much paint to it take for you to paint both of your axles and your complete frame? Did you use rattle cans, if so how many?

I'm about to order some chasis black to paint mine and I'm debating the quart vs. rattle cans. I don't have the ability to spray the paint if I get the quart so I was considering maybe brushing it on. I want a good heavy coat on mine since I'm in south MS.

I just opened my second quart. If you put your paint on less thick than me or use a primer first, a quart of top coat will get you there. I haven't painted the rear axle, rear springs, or about a million little brackets. I will try to prep a big batch and paint it all the same day. If you are painting as many pieces as me, and they aren't all prepped at the same time, you'll need a half gallon (like me).

I was overly generous with paint application inside the frame rails, where sealing it was more important than avoiding drips.

I used a gravity feed gun and Rustoleum thinned with mineral spirits. If there are chips or scratches later, I can touch up with a rattle can.

If you can't spray, you'll definitely need at least two quarts for brush-on. I would advise a cheap spray gun. If you have a decent compressor (20gal) and a good regulator, you can run 25psi enough to keep up with painting a frame. I'll get a better HVLP before spraying the tub, but my cheapie gun from Campbell Hausfeld gets the job done with black rust oleum.

Last edited:
Heirloom said:
Despite asking you all about color schemes, I decided I liked the look of cleaned, but not refinished warn hubs.

Agreed. And it won't chip when you put the wheel on.

SouthMS40 - I painted my axles with a brush and a quart of Rustoleum satin. Looked great, and held up well. The axles were off the truck, so that made it far easier. The film thickness you get with brushed on paint makes it last a lot longer on an axle, than spray (bomb) paint. If you applied Rustoleum (or a quart of any such paint) with a paint gun and put on several heavy coats, I think you would get the same result.

Quick question: anyone know the oem part number for a rear axle seal? SOR shows oem axle seal for 58-73 fj40. My local dealer is claiming that the catalog doesn't go back far enough. If nobody replies, I can just call and ask about that part for a 72.

Awesome recovery of a deserving Cruiser!
Talk to to 2thdoc--he has an electrolysis unit he built that will clean anything-air cleaners, tanks, horns,etc. It does great work for prepping to prime/paint.

Sorry I don't know any axle seal PN's I have run into that same issue where they can't look up older parts.... Also I put an add on MUDSHIP to see if anyone wants to bring that engine down to ya!!!! hahaha who knows maybe we'll get lucky

https://forum.ih8mud.com/mudship/703294-wanted-haul-1f-engine-wv-md-va-dfw-tx.html

I'm working on the same level as you, I have my transfer case sitting in the basement caked in mud and oil/grease, and the purple isn't doing anything, I already soaked it in a healthy layer of parts cleaner, not I have to dig my mobile parts cleaner out and see if the fluid is still anygood....

Quick question: anyone know the oem part number for a rear axle seal? SOR shows oem axle seal for 58-73 fj40. My local dealer is claiming that the catalog doesn't go back far enough. If nobody replies, I can just call and ask about that part for a 72.

You might post that question in the 25 section and see if folks there know.

Found! Part number for 58-73 semi floating FJ40 rear axle seal is 90311-47029.

Mud search optimization words:
Rear Axle seal, 1966 fj40 axle
image-1658456848.jpg

Found! Part number for 58-73 semi floating FJ40 rear axle seal is 90311-47029.

Mud search optimization words:
Rear Axle seal, 1966 fj40 axle

Proof that there is nothing new on this forum :hillbilly:

It has been a while since i updated. I was set back by a head gasket replacement on my brother's jeep and other miscellaneous chores. I only really make it to the barn one day each weekend.

I'm still painting chassis suspension parts. No big updates. A couple of pics for those of you following.
image-275962771.jpg
image-712302133.jpg

Sorry I don't know any axle seal PN's I have run into that same issue where they can't look up older parts.... Also I put an add on MUDSHIP to see if anyone wants to bring that engine down to ya!!!! hahaha who knows maybe we'll get lucky

https://forum.ih8mud.com/mudship/703294-wanted-haul-1f-engine-wv-md-va-dfw-tx.html

I'm working on the same level as you, I have my transfer case sitting in the basement caked in mud and oil/grease, and the purple isn't doing anything, I already soaked it in a healthy layer of parts cleaner, not I have to dig my mobile parts cleaner out and see if the fluid is still anygood....

My transfer and transmission were pretty caked with waxy grease and dried clay. I started with a chisel (serious) and got the big layers out. Followed with a brass wire brush. Put some mineral spirits in a spray bottle and work outside for ventilation. That is my most recent degreaser of choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom