Builds after KOH LV build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

some more
IMG_7324.JPG
IMG_7341.JPG
IMG_7351.JPG
IMG_7358.JPG

Glad everybody likes the trip reports. I hope it motivates others to get these trucks back on the road and most importantly enjoy them. It's not the easiest thing to take a 51 year old truck and take it on a 580 road trip in AZ in the summer. The wagon never died but it coughed and choked abit and made me worry I would not make it up the mountain passes. I think the gas is boiling in the carb or fuel line. There were times I was only able to do about 35-40 mph on the steep grades. All in all, it made the trip, but not with out some worrying. But I guess that is part of the whole driving an old truck thing.

Finally got some time in on the wagon. Picked up a used ubolt flip kit from 65swb45. Swapping out the old for the almost new. Much nicer
IMG_7373.JPG
IMG_7374.JPG

Since I had new longer ublots, I added the bottom leaf that I had previously removed and upgraded the spring center pin to an ARP stainless steel bolt. I also modified the passenger side mount to sit at the same height as the driver side creating equal amounts of up travel. It really smoothed out the bottom of the axle/spring area.
IMG_7375.JPG
IMG_7377.JPG

Mmmmmmmmm.........more oem goodness thanks to Camelback Toyota and being spoon fed the part #'s by FJ40Jim and wngrog. I originally deleted the front junction blocks and always regretted it. I plan to redo the front wiring when I mount the ac condenser and beef up the headlight wiring.
In the meantime, I swapped out the old sweeping oil pressure sender.
IMG_7395.JPG
IMG_7397.JPG

Finally got a weekend to get away. We headed to Blue Ridge Reservoir. The round trip according to the wagon was 238 miles with the scenic extended dirt route on the way home. Weather was awesome with temps between 50-70, some rain, hail, clouds, and sun. The perfect contrast to the oven like heat of Phoenix.
Wagon did great and I was even cruising at about 70-75 mph at times. Of course on the mountain grades I was limited to about 50 mph. It averaged about 11 miles to the gallon.
IMG_7401.JPG
IMG_7403.JPG
IMG_7405.JPG
IMG_7406.JPG

Great pictures as always and if you don't mind some off topic, how do you like your back jacks in the canoe? I've got a bad back and thought about those.

Last edited:
Great pictures as always and if you don't mind some off topic, how do you like your back jacks in the canoe? I've got a bad back and thought about those.

Actually the canoe with the seat backs is my friends. They claim they are very comfortable though. I have been wanting to pick up a set myself as my back is not too good either.

As for driving in the heat in Phoenix, I usually try to head out early so it's not too hot. On the way home this time there was alot of traffic, and I kind of got baked for the last hour of the drive with the slow movement. I bring my camelback and have cold water close by, which helps.
The wing windows can help, but mine won't stay open. Plus they will shoot bugs right into you if not careful.

Did you do any fishing? Great pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom