A thought - reproducing discontinued gaskets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Seeing that a lot of gaskets are NLA both from Toyota and through the aftermarket (in my case, the 3FE throttle body gasket and the intake manifold gasket), it got me curious if anyone has looked into reproducing now-defunct gaskets. To be fair, something like the throttle body gasket is easy enough to cut out, but the intake manifold gasket would prove a significant challenge. Has anyone considered reproducing any other these now NLA gaskets, whether they be fiber, cork, rubber, etc?

Frankly I wish I could invest in one of the machines I see after a quick Google search and start doing it myself.

Fel-Pro is doing it.
Unfortunately not with (at least) the two I'm needing. Fel-Pro has discontinued those as well.

@CruiserTrash I honestly don't know what others are discontinued as far as US market Cruisers, but I'd be shocked if there isn't a lot more than just these two. The more I pondered this the more I started thinking it'd be great to get a connection with a custom gasket house that could keep an archive of patterns and appropriate material references (such and such gasket needs to be fiber, this one is cork, etc.), which Mud members could get a hold of for any gaskets that would be needed.

I even looked at the CNC gasket machines on Google out of curiosity, and the investment is more than I think most Mud vendors would be willing to make unless there was a huge list of gaskets they could crank out.

@cruiseroutfit has aftermarket gaskets or gasket kits from Stone, Fel-Pro, KP, etc. I haven't really found a gasket that's difficult to get to my front door in about 3-4 days. I'm in a 60 though, and not a 62 so maybe you have a different struggle than I do.

Your manifold gasket is different than a 2F because of the notches on the top of the intake runners, right? Where the injectors go?

@cruiseroutfit has aftermarket gaskets or gasket kits from Stone, Fel-Pro, KP, etc. I haven't really found a gasket that's difficult to get to my front door in about 3-4 days. I'm in a 60 though, and not a 62 so maybe you have a different struggle than I do.

Your manifold gasket is different than a 2F because of the notches on the top of the intake runners, right? Where the injectors go?
I kinda wonder if the 60 gaskets are more easy to find since there were far more 60s made than 62s. Bigger market would make sense. On the 62 the intake manifold splits. There's the large upper plenum part (which Toyota calls the "air surge tank" and then the lower section that's actually called the manifold, where the injectors and fuel rail mount to). The head to manifold gasket for both of them I think is still available OEM (and Remflex, which I'll be using), but the gasket that goes between the two intake manifold parts is what seems to be unavailable now along with the throttle body gasket.

In my case I'll be cutting my own replacements by hand (unless I through some stroke of luck manage to source SOMETHING; not looking forward to the intake manifold one), but looking to the future, I see this becoming more and more of an issue for 3FE owners.

I have a Cricut (crafting plotter among other things),
And I have used it to cut gasket material when I didn’t want to wait for an order. Mostly smaller stuff like throttle body and cold start injector gaskets.

It’ll do up to 12x24, not sure what one could fit on the diagonal. Just need a full size trace of the gasket and it’ll cut where you told it to.

Thicker cork would be a challenge for it, but for thin cork and paper it’s great.

I have a Cricut (crafting plotter among other things),
And I have used it to cut gasket material when I didn’t want to wait for an order. Mostly smaller stuff like throttle body and cold start injector gaskets.

It’ll do up to 12x24, not sure what one could fit on the diagonal. Just need a full size trace of the gasket and it’ll cut where you told it to.

Thicker cork would be a challenge for it, but for thin cork and paper it’s great.
I've seen those in a few craft stores (don't judge me; I have a daughter) and been curious how they'd work for gasket materials. What machine is it you have?

Which OE part number(s) are you after?

We stock a wide variety of gaskets, Toyota, OE manufacturer, Japanese, etc. We've had some made and we make a couple in-house using die cutters built for us by a local gasket manufacturer.

Which OE part number(s) are you after?

We stock a wide variety of gaskets, Toyota, OE manufacturer, Japanese, etc. We've had some made and we make a couple in-house using die cutters built for us by a local gasket manufacturer.
I was actually about to PM you asking what resources you might have for some hardware I'm trying to track down for an injector change and (the dreaded "while I'm at it" snowball) manifold removal. As far as gaskets I was in search of a throttle body gasket (22271-61010) which it turns out not even Fel-Pro produces anymore, and the upper to lower intake manifold gasket (17176-61020). Another Mudder PM'd me last night saying that he would check because he thinks he might have them, but if he doesn't and you're able to get these that would be awesome.

There's also the cold start injector gasket and the manifold to downpipe ring gaskets I need for the job but haven't been worried about tracking those down.

I'm going to need all these here very soon. Please keep us updated. thx.
I'll be updating my injector thread as I find certain parts and replacements for parts that aren't available from Toyota anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom