FJ60 Power steering pump - discontinued? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Follow up on what I ended up doing for anyone wondering.
It seems almost all the aftermarket FJ60 pumps are made by BBB. I bought one that said it was a Duralast pump, but it came from BBB. I've had BBB pumps before and they don't last. You can get them with lifetime warranties but you'll have to replace it every year or two.
I returned that pump and decided to give the saginaw pump a try.
I bought the Saginaw conversion kit from Cruiser Brothers, filled the pump with AMSOIL OE Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. I replaced the low-pressure return lines and added a new filter to the line. It's working great so far. No noise or anything like that - just works. Steering feels a little lighter (probably due to the higher volume flow of the saginaw) which takes some getting used to.

Out of curiosity, which in-line filter are folks adding to their setup?

In my experience- Almost all aftermarket parts you buy, whether LC or Corolla, come from the same 1-2 manufacturers in China.

Unfortunately that’s the way of all this old iron, can’t find it or can’t afford it! That’s why I went to a Chevy ham can years ago when I did my suspension and rock ram set up.

I have a brand new, oem fj60 steering pump that I bought like 10ya, knowing they would no longer be available. I'm gonna sell that to buy another 60 with the money........hahahahah.
All kidding aside, I think I may have bought one of the last three or four that were left. I now have an hj60, and the pump will not work with it. For some reason, I kept it, not wantingto sell.

Here it is!!

photo 5.jpg

photo 4.jpg

Thoughts on this one where you're able to clean the filter?

Any filter is better than none, but I like those Magnefine because they have a by-pass valve and actually list their filtration capability, plus they have a magnet for ferrous contaminants, and of course the cellulose element for everything else. Supposed to last 100K miles.

The 'Ribbed' plastic or aluminum bodied ones are good, too, sold under the Raybestos label, but they are made by Magnefine.

I’m curious the date code. It’s usually in black lettering bottom right of the sticker

This wiper, 85214-35010 was has “3E31” which means May 31, 2023. 3=2023, E = May, 31 js the day of the month
IMG_4723.jpeg

Last edited:
I picked one up a couple of years ago. Just waiting for my original one to crap out or leak all over the smog pump.

IMG_3908.jpeg

IMG_3907.jpeg

what he ^^ said.
44320 60071
Unfortunately, you have the bad part number version that’s known to fail prematurely and catastrophically. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I’ll pm you a good address to send it to where I can properly dispose of it for you. I’ll even reimburse shipping costs once received in good, unexploded condition….

Sometimes it's good to be a parts hoarder. I bought a saginaw kit from George last year and was going to install it when I remembered I had a power steering pump stashed away for over a decade. I was getting tired of oily and damaged smog pumps.
Got the new one installed and also did the magnefine filter.
I was told by the guys at b-z rebuilders that they would do a power steering pump. They are the ones that rebuild the smog pumps. It might be worth a try although I've never had a ps pump rebuilt by them.

Are you installing the filter on the return?

Is this the correct part number for a rebuild kit?

04445-60030

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom