FJ60 Power steering pump - discontinued? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sometimes it's good to be a parts hoarder. I bought a saginaw kit from George last year and was going to install it when I remembered I had a power steering pump stashed away for over a decade.
If you’re not using the Saginaw kit, I’d be interested in buying the high pressure lines if you’d sell them. I replaced my pump with Saginaw and about a year later my steering gear box is leaking all over. I have a new one that will go in, but as long as I’ve replaced the other major steering hydraulic components, I may as well replace the old original lines too. Please let me know.

If you’re not using the Saginaw kit, I’d be interested in buying the high pressure lines if you’d sell them. I replaced my pump with Saginaw and about a year later my steering gear box is leaking all over. I have a new one that will go in, but as long as I’ve replaced the other major steering hydraulic components, I may as well replace the old original lines too. Please let me know.
We have new hose kits in stock bud.

Happy to help!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

@orangefj45 I should have known better! 🤣

After this t-case gets wrapped up I’ll be rebuilding my spare steering box … and then I’ll need the hoses for install. I’ll give a call in about a month. Thanks!

PSA related to this - Borgeson sells a pressure reducing kit for the saginaw pump. With the kit you can reduce the pressure and reduce the risk of blowing seals in your steering box.
Also - I highly recommend RedHead Steering Gears for rebuilding the power steering box. They rebuilt mine when I went through the entire steering for my 60. With the RedHead rebuild, new tie rods and all that stuff, Saginaw pump, my 60 now steers better than my 80.

@brownjeans @orangefj45 Are folks regularly seeing their steering box seals blow out after Saginaw installs? Would a re-sealed steering box handle the pressure?

@brownjeans @orangefj45 Are folks regularly seeing their steering box seals blow out after Saginaw installs? Would a re-sealed steering box handle the pressure?
It’s not common but it can happen, no matter if you install a stock-type or Sag pump. If the PS box seals have never been replaced ( in the last 35-40 years!!!!!!! ) then it’s a good idea to rebuild the box ( send it to Redhead ) when the pump is replaced. We typically replace the high and low pressure lines at that point as well.

Hope that helps.

What @orangefj45 said :)

I have a rebuilt RedHead box, new hoses and fittings and feel pretty confident that it won't leak (knocking on wood right now). If you're a belt and suspenders kind of guy, the Borgeson pressure-reducing kit is only about $25 and isn't hard to use.

Last edited:
@brownjeans @orangefj45 I did the Sag install last year and my original box is now bleeding all over the place. I have a spare box, the Gates rebuild kit, and some select Teflon seals inbound from Toyota. Georg I’ll be getting new high pressure hoses and clamps from you in the next week or two.

What I’m wondering is if the Sag is going to blow out the newly re-sealed box. And yes I know about the pitfalls of DIY box rebuilds, hence extra seals on hand. A light tough 400 grit inside the bore to deburr the edge that tears the Teflon seal. A clamp to compress the seals. Etc, etc.

@brownjeans @orangefj45 I did the Sag install last year and my original box is now bleeding all over the place. I have a spare box, the Gates rebuild kit, and some select Teflon seals inbound from Toyota. Georg I’ll be getting new high pressure hoses and clamps from you in the next week or two.

What I’m wondering is if the Sag is going to blow out the newly re-sealed box. And yes I know about the pitfalls of DIY box rebuilds, hence extra seals on hand. A light tough 400 grit inside the bore to deburr the edge that tears the Teflon seal. A clamp to compress the seals. Etc, etc.
All I can say is that with my rebuilt box and new hoses, I'm running the Sag without any pressure reduction and I have no leaks. Only been a few months though.

We’ve been running the Sag pumps for ten years now. We have not had any rebuilt box failures or leaks with this mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom