'77 FJ40 Federal 2F desmog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not IF but WHEN emission checking is started in your area, you will wish you never did this. Grandfathering in most, if not all states, only goes back to '75 on 40's.

I don't understand this popularity either. There is lack of understanding of what the electronic engine control systems do and there is a herd mentality and people are hungry for any way to get a little bit better performance and economy.

The EGR system leads to a small inefficiency by lowering combustion temperature (The TdeltaS side of the Gibbs free energy equation), but this effect is also exploited to allow a leaner mixture to be burned at high speed cruising so the overall effect is positive. If you disable the EGR, you would want a richer mixture to keep the combustion temperature within a safe range.

The air pump takes a little power to turn it, but this is very small compared to the power required to move the vehicle. I would guess it is less than 1%.

Any time people spend significant money or time on anything, there is a strong bias to believe that the effort has been beneficial. This is known as observer bias

Amen. So many things are done to cruisers just because someone else did it. Learning what these systems do and keeping them in working order (things apparently beyond the reach of most cruiser DIYers) gives you a nice running and not too smelly ride.

You guys were all correct. See post #55 above.

Luckily I kept pretty much all of my stuff in a box. I had a nonfunctioning VSV for EVAP and a broken red VTV that I had to get replaced from cruiserparts.net and a broken BVSV (blue) that I replaced with a unit from Rocky Mountain Cruisers before they were no more.

But after a night of removing my Sanden OBA system and a day of 65F weather here in Denver, I am almost ready to go. Have to get some MIA smog pump bracket parts and hardware, new custom length belt to work with the Saginaw PS pump, and hit the inspection station in a month or so.

So as long as Colorado doesn't enact an annual safety inspection I'll be good to go :rolleyes:

IMG_1662.JPG

Great thread, still need to identify that down facing port on the front of my '78 OEM Carb and what to do with it as I am desmogged.

Not in Texas; it's a rolling 25 years for anything/everything.
You are right...But recently I have seen somewhere that removing the emission equipment from vehicles in TX is illegal....NC has no inspections neither on vehicles I think 35 years old...TX requires only safety-like horn working ,etc...Mine don't work yet so I registered in NC living in the both states..It was also so much cheaper...

The downward facing port on the front drivers side is another bowl vent. You should be fine capping it.

You are right...But recently I have seen somewhere that removing the emission equipment from vehicles in TX is illegal....NC has no inspections neither on vehicles I think 35 years old...TX requires only safety-like horn working ,etc...Mine don't work yet so I registered in NC living in the both states..It was also so much cheaper...

Yeah, the safety inspection in Texas is only $14, less than half of what the emissions inspections are.

If removing emissions stuff on vehicles 25 years or older is illegal in Texas, there's no enforcement or penalty for it.

Yeah, the safety inspection in Texas is only $14, less than half of what the emissions inspections are.

If removing emissions stuff on vehicles 25 years or older is illegal in Texas, there's no enforcement or penalty for it.
Safety in TX is 7,- where I live...But fixing the horn,lot more for sales tax,licence plates fees,lot more for insurance etc...was a deal breaker for me..It didn't specify how old the vehicle need to be to be illegal it just said it in general...I have seen the writing about the law hanging on the front door of Autozone somewhere near Dallas...

TLS, The downward facing port off the bottom of the HIC should be connected to a fitting on the side of the carb insulator baseplate, next to the hose from canister purge VCV.

BSevans has some good '78 pics in THIS thread.

I'm pretty sure it's against Federal law to tamper with or disable emissions equipment, kinda like airplane bathroom smoke detectors.

Jim I only have one fitting there and it is connected to VCV, I can post a pic..............

I'm pretty sure it's against Federal law to tamper with or disable emissions equipment, kinda like airplane bathroom smoke detectors.

And taking the tags off of mattresses. :) I like this quote from Robert Heinlein: "I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

And taking the tags off of mattresses. :) I like this quote from Robert Heinlein: "I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

It was implied earlier that it is state law and the guy was surprised to see that, my point is that it is Federal Law. And you are right there doesn't seem to be any enforcement that I've ever heard of except in emissions-required locations. I don't disagree with your sentiment stated above. Except that I think the end-user is allowed to remove the tags from mattresses ;)

I know the question was asked earlier in this thread about why so many 60 owners are interested in desmogging their trucks when the HP gain is so minimal. Here's why I think it is so common. A smog pump failure or an intake or exhaust manifold leak necessitates the removal of part of the system in order to fix. These trucks are 30+ years old now. Many of them have lived hard lives in environments not so friendly to metal. Fiddling around with old rusted-up parts and siezed fasteners in hard-to-reach locations is not easy. The sawzall becomes the tool of choice. The system gets fubared and there's no looking back. Who wants to track down, beg, borrow or steal smog equipment to replace the junk that gets destroyed in the process of fixing a problem? Not something I am interested in wasting my time with. My truck gets no inspection...period. Why should I? Life is complicated enough. Why toil over NLA smog pieces if you don't have to?

I try to be a somewhat responsible owner. I don't enjoy making a big carbon footprint. The truth of the matter is that by driving a 30+ year old vehicle and by not jumping on the "buy a new car every five years" bandwagon, I am making my own contribution to the planet. It takes fewer resources to keep a vehicle on the road than it does to make a new one. Despite their gas guzzling tendencies, Land Cruisers are (at least in my mind) some of the most planet-friendly vehicles ever produced. When they break, you fix them and drive some more.

On my 60, I had an intake leak at the manifold gasket and the common J pipe leak from the manifold to the smog pump. The truck ran poorly and sounded even worse. Manifolds had to come off to be resurfaced. Smog parts got ruined in the process and I had to make a decision. I decided to de-smog. I'm glad I did. The truck seems happier as well. I kept the cat so it doesn't smell bad. That's my story. Your results may vary.

Last edited:
Well, after all this I'm going to be putting my smog stuff back on. Colorado law just changed this summer to allow more old vehicles to be registered as collector vehicles, but 76 and up collector vehicles have to pass emissions every 5 years. So my grandfathered emissions-exempt status will be expiring when I renew my registration in 1.5 years. At least I will have enjoyed it for 10 years. :meh:

I'm glad I learned how the system works, so it's not a total loss of time and effort. It's going to be a pain to figure out how to work my power steering pump mounting and all though, and I'm going to have to go a different route for OBA. Ouch :frown:
Not sure it will work there, but in Tennessee, you can transfer tags from one vehicle to another... you take tags you just got renewed from a car that passed emissions... you transfer (this is a legal method) the tags to your post-Landcruiser and drive for another year. My mechanic here was explaining how he skirts the emissions doing this. He ping-pongs back and forth and apparently it works...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom