'77 FJ40 Federal 2F desmog (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Put this thread into my subscription list for future references.

About half of my smog items have been removed. Can someone tell me what this is?

image-4222618171.jpg

I also have these three others pieces which I assume need to be kept. Is there a way to replace or clean the carbon canister?
image-4222618171.jpg
image-4219018876.jpg
image-3818673144.jpg
image-931831456.jpg

Last edited:
VSV ......vacuum switching valve .......first picture

Charcoal cannister........third picture. I don't think it can be cleaned out. You would need to re-charge the charcoal.

Voltage regulator......fourth picture and yes you need it.

Not sure what second picture is....others will jump in I'm sure.

Not sure if you've read this thread.....it is long and has alot of good information. Take your time and read it over a couple of times and it should help. Charcoal cannister you are going to want to keep. Vsv can go but it isn't as easy as just removing the vacuum lines and tossing the vsv in the trash. I've read this stuff many times and still find my simple mind wandering. Good luck.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/188643-my-desmog-thread.html

Here is another thought. How do you recharge the canister? I have been reading that baking it above 225 will recharge the carbon. I might do this in a convection oven out doors as to not create any fires even though I don't believe one could create a fire using an electric coil oven.

I need to research the ignition point of fuel vapor.

You have a red VTV in that 2nd picture - which I need by the way ;)

Not sure what the other thing is.

Why do you think your charcoal canister needs to be recharged?

I didn't think it was doing a very good job of evading fumes when I did have it running, and I heard that was a symptom in a few thread on this forum.

My carbon canister was also mounted on the passenger side. I can't make sense of these threads because everything is all over the place. It would be nice to have a clear answer of " this is what you need 1. 2. 3...done"

My canister is also on the passenger side. Different years have them moved around. Have you checked all your other "fume" equipment ? Behind the gas tank and next to the fuel filler ? They all tie into one another.

My '77 has the charcoal canister on the passenger side.

x2 on what mossman said. Your EVAP system is more than just your charcoal canister. There is the vapor tank and a VSV that also have to operate correctly. Sometimes the nipples on the vapor tank get broken off, or the hoses develop leaks, and you can smell fumes. I did a check on my VSV a little while ago and found it's not operating correctly. Still can't figure that one out. Just saying it could be a lot of things. There's a simple check you can do on the charcoal canister to make sure it's functioning.

Sounds like you might want to get your hands on an Emissions FSM.

Yes, Hot Idle Compensator.

The lower hose from HIC connects to a vac tube that is molded into the insulator block underneath the carb. On the outside of the engine, opposite side to the above carb pic.

On the far side of insulator #2 in this pic:

Looking for part number 2 here for my 1977 FJ55 (carb insulator) From SOR, it appears to be dscontinued, but are there other models that interchange between the years?

1/75-9/77 are interchangeable, according to SOR. I know other model years may interchange but hole locations for things like the gas filter may be in different locations.

You can use any 2F insulator plate, especially if the vehicle is desmogged. Plates have 0,1, or 2 vac fittings sticking out the side for various years of US emissions. Worst case, you have to holesaw a hole in front of the carb for a manifold vac fitting, and maybe drill & epoxy in a small vacuum pipe in the side.

The important thing is to find one that's not broken into pieces, and has good gasket material top & bottom.

Well, after all this I'm going to be putting my smog stuff back on. Colorado law just changed this summer to allow more old vehicles to be registered as collector vehicles, but 76 and up collector vehicles have to pass emissions every 5 years. So my grandfathered emissions-exempt status will be expiring when I renew my registration in 1.5 years. At least I will have enjoyed it for 10 years. :meh:

I'm glad I learned how the system works, so it's not a total loss of time and effort. It's going to be a pain to figure out how to work my power steering pump mounting and all though, and I'm going to have to go a different route for OBA. Ouch :frown:

subzali said:
Well, after all this I'm going to be putting my smog stuff back on. Colorado law just changed this summer to allow more old vehicles to be registered as collector vehicles, but 76 and up collector vehicles have to pass emissions every 5 years. So my grandfathered emissions-exempt status will be expiring when I renew my registration in 1.5 years. At least I will have enjoyed it for 10 years. :meh:

I'm glad I learned how the system works, so it's not a total loss of time and effort. It's going to be a pain to figure out how to work my power steering pump mounting and all though, and I'm going to have to go a different route for OBA. Ouch :frown:

Oh no! Is that just front range rules or elsewhere too? That truly sucks, sorry to hear it. Praise be to the government for taking such wonderful care of us.

It only applies to the program area, so yeah basically front range

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD at 85mph in an FJ40

subzali said:
It only applies to the program area, so yeah basically front range

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD at 85mph in an FJ40

I grew up in boulder and really miss the area. But, with all the mad regulations, I'm pretty content to live in NM and visit Colorado every month or two. Santa Fe reminds me more of where I grew up than boulder does. Boulder bears almost no resemblance to the town it was in the 70s and early 80s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom