FIPG, really?? (FIPG vs. Everything else) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.southwestoverland.com
I'd never heard the acronym before 'Mud, but it's like gospel here. Does everyone really use Toyota FIPG instead of the usual Hi-Temp (or whatever is appropriate) RTV silicone sealer?

I'm facing an oil pan reseal and need to know what is a must, and what can I RELIABLY get by with. I've use regular RTV sealant for as long as I can remember so I feel comfortable with it.

Thanks,

-JD

FIPG stands for Form In Place Gasket, and it works well. Another name in Toyota literature is Seal Packing, and the manufacturer is Three Bond. There are actually 4 common types, with some variances in availability.

The most common is black in color, and is used for sealing against oil (oil pans, timing covers, etc.) Its counterpart is gray in color, and until recently, was usually only found on factory assembled engines. With the advent of our Subaru engine in the FR-S, we've had to find a source for it, since these engines won't seal with the commonly available black FIPG.

There is another black FIPG, but this one is supposed to work with Long Life & Super Long Life Coolant. A lot of techs I know don't differentiate between the two, but use the one intended for oil on everything. Knowing the difference, there are certain portions of some timing covers, and few of our water pumps, that require this seal packing.

The fourth type should be familiar to MUD users as the orange one. It is designed to be used with transmission fluid & gear oil, so manual transmissions, transfer cases, & differentials are all places you will find this FIPG.

I could take the time & add part numbers to this if anyone is interested.

Just like everything else on mud, to use non-toyota is to blaspheme. "I mean "mr. T" made it that way right"

'and on the 5th day Mr. T created black FIPG'

Ultra black or the right stuff on all my junk. FIPG is good but not worth the hassle or cost. Then again all my s*** gets cleaned with rolocs...

Of course I've heard the IH (international) grey RTV is better... o_O

Oh and we should probably talk about anaerobic gasket maker too and then heads will really explode.

Last edited:
I used Mr t fipg on oil pan. No leaks in 15k. I dont see much diff. Between it and ultra black permatex.
To the OP, you should make a cardboard template for all the pan bolts . There are so many diff. Lengths and sizes. Makes it brainless this way.

How much does a tube of fipg cost? Is it that big of a difference to even consider the permatex alternative?

Last one cost me $21 for a tiny ass tube of that black gold.

How much does a tube of fipg cost? Is it that big of a difference to even consider the permatex alternative?

Orange 00295-01281 $16.40
Black 00295-00103 $11.27

Not the cheapest stuff but my tubes will likely last me a life time
The small premium is worth the peace of mind

Orange 00295-01281 $16.40
Black 00295-00103 $11.27

Not the cheapest stuff but my tubes will likely last me a life time
The small premium is worth the peace of mind
Hmmm. Wonder why my local dealer charged me $20 + tax for the black FIPG? Crooks I guess.

Hondabond >fipg
Seals better, doesn't use solvents (that funny smell that fipg has), cost less

@LandCruiserPhil it's the same dealer, too! The only one within ~45 minutes of my house. I usually order from someone on here or toyotapartszone but those 2 times I needed that stuff quickly. No more! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom