Red FIPG releasing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm going to pull apart a transfer case shortly to install sumo low gears and am wondering if there are any tricks to getting red FIPG to release?

I've had two other transfer cases apart this year and the FIPG combined with corrosion has made it a lot of work, and no shortage of cursing. Much more hammering with a dead blow hammer than I like.

I thought maybe I'd try to work smarter instead of harder this time.

I'm wondering if some heat might help it release? But am generally open to ideas to make it a less violent experience.

More violence! Always the answer! Just change the flavor of violence no need for escalation of force and verbal abuse and intimidation, just look at it aim your swings intentionally and yell out "Why don't you love me Daddy!" while you hit it with purpose. That way your neighbors think " Better not talk to him about his trash cans this week" and you're using short directed bursts of extreme violence instead of beating on it like you cant figure out why the square peg wont fit through the triangle hole. Just hit it with your purse already nancy!

OR...

Personally I've found that most transfers cases are sneakily constructed to have a pair of tabs meant to put a prybar in between...Usually they're hidden by gratuitous road grime and grease, but there are fewer opportunities to discourage your neighbors doing it that way. A decent set of mechanics prybars may be the ticket. I have found that if you apply prying force to the tabs and then give the case a firm bludgeoning somewhere on the rim it tends to split it fewer than 5 swings. The red FIPG is a fickle mistress, either it works too well, seals the leak and you cant get it apart or you have one drop of gear oil/atf that is always forming and you cant figure out where it's coming from.

More violence! Always the answer! Just change the flavor of violence no need for escalation of force and verbal abuse and intimidation, just look at it aim your swings intentionally and yell out "Why don't you love me Daddy!" while you hit it with purpose. That way your neighbors think " Better not talk to him about his trash cans this week" and you're using short directed bursts of extreme violence instead of beating on it like you cant figure out why the square peg wont fit through the triangle hole. Just hit it with your purse already nancy!

OR...

Personally I've found that most transfers cases are sneakily constructed to have a pair of tabs meant to put a prybar in between...Usually they're hidden by gratuitous road grime and grease, but there are fewer opportunities to discourage your neighbors doing it that way. A decent set of mechanics prybars may be the ticket. I have found that if you apply prying force to the tabs and then give the case a firm bludgeoning somewhere on the rim it tends to split it fewer than 5 swings. The red FIPG is a fickle mistress, either it works too well, seals the leak and you cant get it apart or you have one drop of gear oil/atf that is always forming and you cant figure out where it's coming from.
That sir, is awesome.

Charlie the pry points worked for me when I performed my VC appendectomy a couple of years ago, rear portion of the case came apart without too much persuasion.

You can do this super easy and smooth in 30 seconds without risk of damage! Get yourself a good putty knife that looks like this:
1703056466816.png

A few gentle taps with a rubber mallet and it'll go straight through the full thickness of the FIPG. Work it around gently and slowly and the case will release no issues. I've disassembled four gearboxes in the last few months. This is the best way.

EDIT: Looked up the technical name for this style of putty knife - It's called a Clipt Point (or just Clipt) putty knife. It's traditionally used for applying putty to fix glass panes into timber window frames. It's available in any local hardware store in places like Australia, NZ, UK, etc, but google tells me it might be harder to find state-side. None the less, this is definitely the best tool I've seen. A good one has an actual bladed edge and a fine point, so it goes in and works around like a razor blade, but with a strong handle and a lot of leverage. It can pop any kind of seal in a minute flat.

Last edited:
You can do this super easy and smooth in 30 seconds without risk of damage! Get yourself a good putty knife that looks like this:
View attachment 3512100
A few gentle taps with a rubber mallet and it'll go straight through the full thickness of the FIPG. Work it around gently and slowly and the case will release no issues. I've disassembled four gearboxes in the last few months. This is the best way.

EDIT: Looked up the technical name for this style of putty knife - It's called a Clipt Point (or just Clipt) putty knife. It's traditionally used for applying putty to fix glass panes into timber window frames. It's available in any local hardware store in places like Australia, NZ, UK, etc, but google tells me it might be harder to find state-side. None the less, this is definitely the best tool I've seen. A good one has an actual bladed edge and a fine point, so it goes in and works around like a razor blade, but with a strong handle and a lot of leverage. It can pop any kind of seal in a minute flat.
Definitely uncommon in the US. There are a couple available on Amazon, but you have to tell it that you didn't mean "clip putty knife", even though it doesn't have anything called that and DOES have Clipt putty knives. Stupid search engine tricks...

I used the pry tabs and putty knife blade, with good mallet.

I love this line

The red FIPG is a fickle mistress,

I ordered the clipt scraper ($20, but that's a bargain if it works well), I have one of those gasket removers posted above too. And I will make sure to put my purse down and beat the hell out of it with the big deadblow hammer.

Thanks everyone!

Amazon product ASIN B09N6TZSK4
that looks like the sst fipg cutter, itll help cut through the seal and you cna tap it along the edge of the case to cut as it goes. personally i just used the pry tabs and a hefty rubber mallet or deadblow hammer

These look thicker than I'd like to bash in between to alloy cases.
I don't think FIPG is that thick between the cases.

An ordinary $2 paint scraper from your favourite large hardware chain store, and two minutes with a mill file will make a decent substitute for the putty knife.
Sharpen one side/edge, and the end. Drive it with a brass hammer from the other edge.

I've always used the tabs, a pry bar, and mallet

The tool arrived.

IMG_4203.jpeg

Can't hurt to have it in the arsenal.

I agree that this tool seems way too thick to be ideal. I may grind/polish an edge on it.

Watching Georg and Timmy's recent video series gave great insight on alternative places to deliver blows with a drift, instead of the easily broken tabs that stick out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom