Collection of HAM Radio Discussions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
We have had a bunch of discussion on this subject over the last few years. I though I would pull a few of them together so I could add them to the Collections thread. What else should I add? Doesn't need to be an HDC post.

General Discussion

Organizations and Ham Websites

Where to Buy

Practice and Study Testing

Hardware

Installations

Ham Radio vs. CB

Last edited:
Jon, for "Organizations and Ham Websites", I would suggest adding 4x4ham.com, a good forum that I belong to also. They're somewhat Arizona-centric but getting more members from all over as time goes on. Some good discussions and APRS resources and etc. on their forum.

Jon -

Thanks for taking the time to pull together this info. As our club makes the gradual transition from CB to HAM, this will be a good resource for everyone - those who have already made the leap and those who haven't decided YET.

Evan

yup. nice Jon. for those who don't have the ticket... it's EASY!!

CHOP to it! :flipoff2::D:steer:

Last edited:
I suggest making this thread a sticky

Edited: Never mind I found it buried under sticky "Collection of Useful Threads"

And folks, 7 year olds are passing the license test. There is no excuse. As far as the Baofeng, just keep in mind that they are limited range. But, they are excellent to own even if you have a 50W mobile unit.

And folks, 7 year olds are passing the license test. There is no excuse. As far as the Baofeng, just keep in mind that they are limited range. But, they are excellent to own even if you have a 50W mobile unit.

The Baofengs are small enough and cheap enough to throw it in your pocket while you are out of the truck, even if you have a mobile radio in your rig. They can also be used with a mag mount antenna (with a cheap adapter) for more range. Plus, there is always somebody in the group who needs to borrow a radio. So for that price, might as well just get two!

I got 2 of those and upgraded the antennas for hunting. we have loved them. I did have a problem last year where they weren't hearing eachother when we weren't more than a couple hundred yards apart. I messed with them, and they work fine again. don't know why or what I did to fix it. one does have a kind of squelch issue. turning the squelch up or down doesn't seem to change it. this year it didn't do it much, so no real problem.

for the price, I'm not complaining at all.

I just received an email from Right Channel Radios about a small, compact CB. Now, I know what @alia176 is going to say, and I totally agree. But, if you are in need of a really small CB, this just might be the ticket. It looks like it's smaller than my Uniden 510, which is pretty small.

OK, Ali is about to have a heart attack, so let me just say what he is currently screaming. Personally, I would take that hundred bucks and put it towards your HAM ticket and a good dual band setup. But, hey, some events like Cruise Moab are living in the stone age and still require a CB. So, just tossing this out there.

damn Pappy, you know me SO well :rofl: To be honest, save the $100 and just buy us a six pack for all the CBs that are taking up space in our garages......:flipoff2:

A lot of CB vs HAM discussion, but what about GMRS?...I picked up a Baogeng UV-5R which also has GMRS/FRS capability, the Chirp software aclutally has these channels all preprogrammed. GRMS also requires a license , but no test, just pay to play for $70. Many of my hunting buddies use GRMS.

I’ve had my license for 5 years now and only had two conversation on ham frequencies. One with the 6 year old that past her test the same day I did and one going past Ali’s house in the canyon.

I’ve used my Baofung radios on race frequencies a few more times but hardly enough to justify them...

Them six year olds really do put a hurt'n if you don't pass your exam :rofl:

I just got a GMRS licence, it has a few repeaters too. Last week I was in the wilderness and was talking to people in AZ and NJ. Plus in a life or limb situation I could TX on other freqs if needed.

I want to see more HAM radios and less CB radios on the trail!!

Here's the radio that I like to pimp, even though there are better radios by the same manufacturer, Baofeng. $27 for a HAM radio, jump on it!

Amazon product ASIN B007H4VT7A

OK, this needs to come back to the top. The warm weather is upon us and we are in "get the hell out into the weeds" mode. I know @alia176 has been making noise about this ... and even made mention of a reward for those that get their HAM ticket. We made the transition to HAM a few years back. Legally, you need a license. Ya, I know some of you are renegade, and we have been (and will continue to be) tolerant. As Ali said,

Them six year olds really do put a hurt'n if you don't pass your exam :rofl:

This is a stupid easy test. The Tech license is NOT technical, at least not much. It's mostly laws and regulations. With COVID, testing has been a rare opportunity. But, it appears there are two clubs that are offering monthly testing. These folks are testing on the second Saturday, Home | My Website - https://nm5hd.org/. The Valencia County HAM club is also testing (sorry, I accidentally nuked the link).

Here is what I will do. I will give my personal BaoFeng handheld radio to the first HDC member that successfully passes their Tech ticket effective today. I'm going to take the equipment argument out of the equation. Heck, if others geek up, I just might get a crow bar into my wallet and buy more.

Plenty of links above to get you started, and plenty of experience in the club to help. Come 'awn folks ... let's get this done. No excuses.

Sincerely, KJ5RAT-General Class

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom