Zeke's starter took a dump... again. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
So, Zeke, my 1975's FJ55's starter took a dump for the second time in two years.

I've decided to get a Toyota starter to replace it. The latest one was a discount part store job.

What do you all think about the reduction starter, like that offered by Cruiser Corps and others?

Anything to look out for on installation? Any advice?

Thanks!

A year reduction starter is a great upgrade, but it'll sound different. Easy install, but you do have to make a wire longer

Your local Toyota dealership parts department should have one. Gear reduction starter for an fj62. Their remanufactured starters are the best. And they come in a Toyota box so Jmack will be happy. I didn't have to extend any wires for mine.
Is part number 28100-60070-84 correct?

I have the worst luck with starters. I had 3 on the SBC and on my second with the LS. The new starter I put in gives me trouble too. So IDK why I have so much trouble.

If you are desperate to get going, Partsouq is showing several reman options in stock. They're pretty cheap. No idea about quality.

Have you tried your FLAPS? I got my GR starter at a Napa (gave 'em back the old stocker as a core)

This is a not quite year old NAPA unit right now. I can't touch it yet, as my workplace went to 4x10 schedule, but will clean up all the grounds Sunday, and test the starter dismounted before moving forward.

I'm thinking about tearing into it and rebuilding it as well, or maybe going to the local starter rebuilder down the street.

Since the NAPA Premium starter was only a year old, I swapped it for a new one, since it was free.

No joy.

Ran a dedicated ground from the top starter bolt to the negative terminal on the battery.

Tracked over 12 V to the starter from the battery, ok. Took apart the steering column and have over 12V going to the ignition module, and just under 12V going out, allegedly to the starter solenoid.

It looks like its hooked up ok.

I did a bubba solenoid check with the starter still installed with a screwdriver, and am while the starter runs, I can only occasionally get the bendix to deploy.

I've swapped batteries with another vehicle as well with a known good battery.

What are the chances I have two bad solenoids in a row? Any other explanations? I guess I can pull the starter again and have it tested.

Starter.jpg

Managed to fix it today. When I replaced the starter, I mistakenly hooked up the wrong electrical lead to the solenoid.

This had me chasing my tail, which led to me to troubleshoot the wires from battery to the key, back to the solenoid, with good voltage everywhere except the solenoid wire.

I created this problem when I installed the DUI system, when I left some wires for the old ignition system hanging out where they could be mistaken for solenoid connection.

So I had two, sequential faults. First, a bad starter solenoid, and then, a technician reassembly error based on the sloppy way I installed the DUI. I fixed it permanently by trimming back and taping off the rats nest of wires the old ignition system left behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom