Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

congrats, and run that rear heater on a hill to burp, before you get a bubble at the tstat housing
I did it again this AM till no more fluid would suck down into the funnel. I had the rear heater on but I felt minimal air from it. Almost wonder if the blower is shot. Seems like I should have felt the body of it vibrating?

I did it again this AM till no more fluid would suck down into the funnel. I had the rear heater on but I felt minimal air from it. Almost wonder if the blower is shot. Seems like I should have felt the body of it vibrating?
It hums a little bit. Maybe you have some leaves blocking the intake. Or you have some obstruction in the dash. My two center vents don't blow any air at all.

Are you running straight pipe no muffler at all
Just for now. @cruisermatt helped set me on the right path to parts to buy. Will pickup a cheaper muffler off summit, a couple 180’s and some v band clamps and will weld it up. Might take me a bit to get it all done. Cut a couple paper patterns to get the idea of how to cut and flip flop the pipe.
I’ll need to make some sort of bracket for the muffler too cuz what's there is nearly nonexistent.

D14AE66F-C2C1-409D-BE05-AE607F42EF50.jpeg

CB43F6B2-301D-4CF9-A8C1-A3DC31DBF66A.jpeg

7575403B-B018-4E7D-9BF4-C422545A334E.jpeg

Hoping to get that hole in the frame welded first. Gonna poke the local welder tmrw about the patch he’s cutting for me.

Nice bet it sounds sweet lol
It’s far tighter than it was. Very poppy in declines. Lots of pissy dog walkers tonight on the residential road to the river. Bet you can just imagine me muttering ‘screw you, you stuffy bitch....’ ;)

@gregnash, I watched him this AM. My brain will never see straight pipe the same again.
How’d yours come out? I don’t remember seeing any photos.

@gregnash, I watched him this AM. My brain will never see straight pipe the same again.
How’d yours come out? I don’t remember seeing any photos.

There is a good reason for that!! LOL.. Actually it didn't come out too bad, probably no photos because I was sick of getting up and down off the ground. My abs haven't been this sore in YEARS. Since I am getting ready to paint, and my current pipe exits just behind the wheel and within 1/4" of the seam of the fender/wheel-well I am going to make a small dump pipe tip that will dump the exhaust before the axle and down. Not the best for when the truck is sitting and idling but will be fine for until after I paint. Will probably clock it slightly to the drivers side to push the exhaust out from under the truck.

Cheap Thrush welded muffler tossed on yesterday and a world of difference. Today cutting some mandrel bends and figuring out the tailpipe end of the system. So far just marking and taping pieces together. I'd like to end the tail behind the rear tire out the side. Found a few pixs in google land of FJ60's. Will need to rework the brackets. Still waiting on the local welder to cut my frame patch too, stopped by his shop yesterday but a chatty guy had cornered him on a replication of a farmall tractor dash.

So at the moment I have the muffler situated w/ the outlet toward the passenger side. Then my pipe is more toward the middle w/ a turn toward driver. Seems the old bracket would be situated w/ muffler outlet pipe hugging the driver frame outer side of shock.
With MY rust issues does my routing make more sense? It brings the heat from the pipe away from the 30 year old frame metal. It ‘seems’ to make more sense but you all know better than me... plus I know it means more heat closer to the gas tank. Maybe frame deterioration is the wisest move over gas tank explosion?

8D784B74-8F09-4BDC-A9A8-2A2774446A2E.jpeg

E22A4496-193F-4386-BCE9-94A566A17BF4.jpeg

Last edited:
Few more. Be honest if it looks jackass.

7B1109DC-3ACA-4934-BA2E-FBE16E697D2D.jpeg

7D7636EE-4596-4AD0-9886-8839F7143F1F.jpeg

AC2517A9-1E01-4753-91E5-AB6A504B04DB.jpeg

1863CE5B-CF37-47B0-8971-6A79FA930111.jpeg

Since I can't seem to send you pics in a private conversation I'll post em here for you. I'm sure others will find this helpful. I cannot take credit for the plywood "mounting" bracket for the transmission jack. I saw that somewhere on MUD several years ago and I can't seem to find the OP. When you start unbolting things just make sure everything is stable. It wants to roll over on it's side because the Tcase is offset. It's big and cumbersome, but if you take the time to work out your order of operations first you'll have it out and in within a weekend. Also, make sure your jack is properly lubed up and the reservoir is topped off and bled. Micro adjustments really are nice when trying to line things up. The nice thing about mounting it to the plywood is that as long as you don't move the position on the jack it lifts directly into the same place at the same angles as when you removed it within a degree or so. It's also very safe. I vaguely remember having to modify that plywood bracket at the last moment so the tcase would fit off the side. I think I also had to wedge some blocks under it to keep it steady on the jack. No chains or straps needed with this method. Just remember rule #1.

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

By the way, that's the old mount in the last pic. We installed the new one prior to dropping the tranny.

Last edited:
Pulled my rear driveshaft a few days ago... was accompanied by my son pulling apart his ‘race car’ he was given a few years back. I handed him a Philips and a flathead and a cup and let him go to town. First time I’ve pulled a driveshaft so it was nice he stayed distracted.

I’ve had a vibration while driving varying speeds. Comes on and simply grumbles extra deep below me. But also hear a squeaking while backing up and figure it’s my dry as a bone looking ujoints.
As seen above I reached out for some direction incase I need to pull the tcase and trans. Found a local friend w/ a jack I can borrow. Figure I’ll start small and focus on the shaft. I’ll take the truck for a cruise in 4H tomorrow and see how she sounds. Tcase was overfull... I’d found it low on Thurs so about 4 days and it seems via the bypass hose the fluid went from the tcase to the trans and back and decided to stay. Lots of fluid here and there. Not sure easy to see where it’s coming from. Breather feels free when I reach up in and tap it.
Ujoints ordered from @cruiseroutfit and will proceed w/ mindful caution.

Got the frame patch too from the welder the other day that is drawn up. Was exciting to watch him draw it up in CAD and then put it through his plasma cutter. I helped him bend it was a huge device called a Niagara.

5AA38011-D195-4BE9-A3CA-5271BEC74592.jpeg

F5719DAE-52DE-4047-B799-2CDE1FA27D33.jpeg

71DA0452-299A-4999-8F7F-FA31A8D85388.jpeg

452C5A38-09A1-49D9-A238-09DB1DB02097.jpeg

FB3FB66E-5AB4-42B4-BAB1-D3B7A40B4497.jpeg

Last edited:
Frame patch.

F0E2D0F6-A1EC-41D4-B83B-1324EC87063A.jpeg

42C38C2B-7108-4BB0-8582-60034E6275C3.jpeg

524B9B0D-C554-404A-8D58-24F30E02CAED.jpeg

5 year old wrenching next to his momma.

0236A3EF-388E-47F0-8909-3BFF891280D5.jpeg

01BB7B60-D758-44F9-AC74-A68533EDF2E7.jpeg

Well it took me long enough, but its on the way!

Jason

View attachment 1810749
Awe thank you Jason!!! I hope it arrives when my son is here. He will be so super wowed by that delivery. Happy dance! Ah the best news after a hard fight won getting my old ujoints out of the yokes! Man did they fight me!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom