Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep kicking a** and taking names. She will run good eventually:). Sounds like you are close. Congrats.

I feel like I've reached celebrity status.... OS is now following ME!

GOOD WORK...I think back to when I was getting it all going, and I hit the wall so many times- almost sold out...it seemed to never run "right" and so I was always always always at it. occasionally I would get to milestone points and get closer only to have progress plateau again...I guess it helped me to hit "mechanic rock bottom", and I stopped reading and listening and started just thinking and reducing things to their base levels(so I could hope to understand one day, maybe)...these are just tractor motors with a bunch of doohickies in between the fuel air and spark it take to blow something up...we just have to learn to understand the doohickery one piece of junk at a time...the carbed engine is a living thing; all systems have to be on the same page; one will affect the other...sometimes you have to zig left in order to zag right...and know when to take a victory and let it ride...

Q F T :

GOOD WORK...I think back to when I was getting it all going, and I hit the wall so many times- almost sold out...it seemed to never run "right" and so I was always always always at it. occasionally I would get to milestone points and get closer only to have progress plateau again...I guess it helped me to hit "mechanic rock bottom", and I stopped reading and listening and started just thinking and reducing things to their base levels(so I could hope to understand one day, maybe)...these are just tractor motors with a bunch of doohickies in between the fuel air and spark it take to blow something up...we just have to learn to understand the doohickery one piece of junk at a time...the carbed engine is a living thing; all systems have to be on the same page; one will affect the other...sometimes you have to zig left in order to zag right...and know when to take a victory and let it ride...
and then go for a drive on the parkway...

:clap:

Compression test today. Thoughts from the mud crowd? About to do another valve adjustment since I've got the plugs out.

image.jpg

Adjusted valves and vastly more smooth. Need to try to tighten the middle bolts and nuts more as I'm still getting an increase in rpms w/ carb spray. Getting there tho! Lots of support from @mwebfj60, much appreciated!

Last edited:
Thank you. :) Time is telling tho. Cut and added new spades for the almost broken wires on my ICS, maybe I didn't need to but it's done. Laughing now cuz I'm not sure which wire goes to which side coming from the fender, green or black w/ yellow stripe? ;)

IMG_4980.JPG

IMG_4983.JPG

Not killing it at all today. Feeling really low.
Mud folks who know compression numbers... what are your thoughts please. Seems like after last nights adjustment that seemed to go so well quickly went south today. Can't get the truck to idle off choke for squat.
I've tightened things up, added a gasket where I had none (secondary slow cut valve), sprayed carb spray, doused it really around the manifold and carb base and its insulator and honestly am not having a change in rpms but it's so fluttery and vac is struggling to hang at 16/15 w/ half choke. IM is out 5.5 turns. Idle at half choke is about 1100. If I push it in she stumbles and stalls.
WTF is going on?

I don't have any technical help, but I can offer a platitude and some encouragement.
It is always darkest right before the dawn. You have come very far by dogged determination and an hard work, so hang in there.
It took me forever to sort out the 2FE fuel issues, but it did happen, as it will for you.
Take a few deep breathes, have a beer or two, step back, and you and MUD will figure it out.

Sigh,
Occam's razor, what is the last thing you worked on? The ICS and carb stuff? Try okie rebuild again?

The compression numbers are a concern, could be some ring wear, but they are generally within 20% of each other after the wet test. . .
What did the sparkplug electrodes look like? Are all the plug wires snugged?

Last thing I did was the valve adjustment. Difference from the way it sounded last night was today it ran till hot in the driveway and gradually it all seemed to go to s***. Literally.
Plugs were gray and in fairly decent shape but they haven't been driven much. All plug wires snug. I'll check the cap again tmrw after work. Maybe get do another compression test. Who knows... I had the chart infront of me but it was dark (tho I had a light), maybe I messed up.

Happy dance today! Thanks to @Grumpyhead12 I've got a working carb fan again. He hooked me up w/ a working used cooling fan relay box and my fan works! And thanks to a thread awhile back that helped me pull it apart and clean it well, it's super quiet!
I found some funky wires in the clip but for now they appear okay and attach to a wire that isn't attached to anything and has a cap on it. Also found the door signal plug was unclipped and after listening to it buzz for about 2 mins I pulled the plug. That sound is the worst ever!

IMG_5086.JPG

IMG_5099.JPG

Right before the carb fan dance I was pulling the boot off the oil sender so I could get a shot of the clip for @FJ60BigLou... and the spliced wired I'd fixed a week plus ago broke. I pulled it apart and ditched the clip for a new one and attached as it should be to the sender... knowing I'd fried the gauge when I hooked it up wrong last time to find it works! Score!

IMG_5085.JPG

So my carb base is on its way back w/ new throttle bushings. Huge thanks to @mwebfj60 for a set of plates as well. The carb guy, Mark said they are like brand new pristine pieces compared to the stone age hand poured, hand cut and hand hammered ones that were in there!
I'll add pixs as soon as it arrives.
The carb guy is HIGHLY reasonable priced too so will add a pix of his card here then as well. He's half the price of others and been at it since '91.

Welp she's back and she's beeeeautiful. $80 for a new primary throttle bushing and he swapped out my plates for a set in much better condition from @mwebfj60 w/ new screws as well. He resurfaced both sides and cleaned her up big time. As well as he checked out my IM screw and smoothed out some rings it had embedded in it.
Checking the power piston as the carb guy suggested. Pulled the acc again and soaking it since it's been out for awhile and was pretty dry.
Carb guy Mark Beno does full rebuilds for $150.

IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_5500.JPG

IMG_5501.JPG

IMG_5502.JPG

IMG_5497.JPG

Last edited:
My primary plate literally had cut ridges in the edge as if it was hand cut. As well as the fact it was bent.

image.jpg

image.jpg

A or R? ;) someone's personal stamp maybe.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom