Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cut off a bracket from my air horn to modify into a VCV clip for the drivers side.
So from a solid section I cut a gap in it to fit, filed it, bent it and have it painted and drying right now. Pix of it painted to be added later.

IMG_4832.JPG

IMG_4833.JPG

IMG_4837.JPG

IMG_4842.JPG

I think that's cleanest we've seen your hands, Yota. :)

Great to see you making great progress :clap:

Ha! Yeah my other nickname is Pigpen. ;) Funny detail about me... way back when my hair was long, big and a total pita I only washed it about every 5 days cuz that kept it manageable and not crazy puffy.
But yeah, one of these days I'll have to invest in some decent gloves that are more snug and stronger that the junk ones I snag from work which just annoy me.

So I got everything hooked up in my desmog, belts all tight, filled the new to me used stock pump res and capped the drain pipe and stuck the return hose into a bottle so I can prime and flush out the old fluid, hooked up the battery neg cable, got the front tires jacked up (lordy lordy with my bottle jack cuz my floor jack o-ring isn't holding (have since pulled it apart and going to replace, refill and cross fingers), stuck jack stands under each axle... get in turn the key and "click" then nothing. Battery is dead. Grrrr, now have the battery out and in the house charging on my neighbors ancient trickle charger. Oy.
Please speak up if you see something off in my vac lines (I see now that I need to cap the two ports up on the air cleaner lid. And yes, I still need to trim thos wires on the alt pigtail too.)

IMG_4851.JPG

IMG_4859.JPG

IMG_4861.JPG

There's a plug very close to my ignitor... Can someone tell me what it is and if it should be attached to something?

IMG_4826.JPG

That blue plug is likely for the AC clutch, which isn't present on your truck.

I would recommend placing the hydraulic catch bottle vertically on the ground. You might need a temporary, longer hose. Have lots of fresh ATF fluid ready to add to the reservoir. The pump doesn't like to be dry.

Our fingers are crossed for you you, Yota. Good luck.

Yeah I kinda figured I'd need to prop that bottle better but your saying have it that much lower?

I originally had that blue VTV going to my advance but ended up taking it back out...I have recurved my mechanical advance pretty tight though. It will be worth trying to run with it, then without it just to see.

Yeah I kinda figured I'd need to prop that bottle better but your saying have it that much lower?

The pump can lift the fluid above the engine elevation, so height isn't an issue. Just get the bottle vertical and stable so it will hold more and not tip over. When flushing you could go through a gallon pretty easily.

I originally had that blue VTV going to my advance but ended up taking it back out...I have recurved my mechanical advance pretty tight though. It will be worth trying to run with it, then without it just to see.
Gotcha good tip. I did recurve so maybe I won't need it. Thanks!

Man... wish I could be there when you fire that Badass up and celebrate! Great work Felicity. Great work. One of my favorite threads.

@CaptClose id call you and FaceTime but the friggen anxiety is gonna be through the roof... I'll definetly need to turn the volumn down! :)

Vroom vroom VRooom
Soon.
:clap:

I read somewhere around this place, that a fella had bled his powah steering with the engine off, key in to release the wheel, and went from stop to stop? I think it was more to get air bubbles out and stop the groan in the pump, you will get ArmStrong that way.... But, yeah, I would want the pump spinning to do a proper flush.

Vroom vroom VRooom
Soon.
:clap:

I read somewhere around this place, that a fella had bled his powah steering with the engine off, key in to release the wheel, and went from stop to stop? I think it was more to get air bubbles out and stop the groan in the pump, you will get ArmStrong that way.... But, yeah, I would want the pump spinning to do a proper flush.
Yeah I thought I read that too at some point but after talking it over and reading the page in the fsm it def needs power so the system can come to full pressure.

It's pretty standard to get the front wheels off the ground and turn wheels stop to stop several times with the engine off after getting into the power steering system. You're right, it purges the air out of the system. You just have to watch the reservoir level...or in this case, looks like you are putting the lines in a bucket with ATF in it. With the wheels off the ground, it is really easy to do and I personally wouldn't run a pump without doing this first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom