Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spike is right. Old American vice. Lots out there, the best are old Wiltons. But there are many others. Great candidates for restoration and parts available.

@cps432 - really? Been to a Land Cruiser event in the last 20 years? Been on any trails? 80s are probably THE BEST Land Cruiser in an all around way. I love my traditional trucks, but nothing else serves every niche like an 80 series. 80s have their minor weak spots, but compared to every other previous and later Land Cruiser, they are better, more durable, more capable, easier to work on, longer lasting, and will likely go on for decades. And my favorite LC that I own is an FJ62. But if I had to pick only one, it would be the 80 going forward. It does almost everything well, including driving to work every day.
Lol I’m only teasing the 80’s owners!

Secretly, I want one too...;)

But don’t tell my 60....

Got some nice new rubber. Scheduled them for mount and balance next Friday when kid isn’t with me.

8D660742-E6E8-4E46-8A8E-8AC626EB583E.jpeg

80328CE4-3F1D-4EDC-BA2E-82C4F517441D.jpeg

That I am.

Cool. Just be aware the stock 6 inch rims are a bit narrow for a 10.5 tire. That makes the tire crown and wear prematurely in the center. Just keep your tire pressures on the low side of normal. I ran 10.5s for a long time. They work well, just be aware the tire would be happier on an 8 inch rim.

Cool. Just be aware the stock 6 inch rims are a bit narrow for a 10.5 tire. That makes the tire crown and wear prematurely in the center. Just keep your tire pressures on the low side of normal. I ran 10.5s for a long time. They work well, just be aware the tire would be happier on an 8 inch rim.
I noticed this after about a week with mine. Oh well. I wanted to get 16” rims someday anyhow so I can run a 33x9.5

They do balloon a little but not so bad.

Free tools! Lots of funky old ones but this is the real gem!

And then saw this sexy lifted on 31x10.5x15 tires 2wd Taco today and had a love affair w/ it for awhile....

C3C5BB4A-B0AC-43C4-B259-84EC2924ED28.jpeg

79BB325F-47E7-4AF6-8685-D94B9FB69526.jpeg

7590AF4C-1BC7-46F5-BA68-47F3E9815D51.jpeg

842F7EDB-3EDE-45BF-9438-247CB218BDA8.jpeg

I know of a really nice one for sale in Fort Collins, CO - by a MUD member who's also a good mechanic. And, BTW, the new owner of the '84 FJ60 I bought new in Las Vegas. He also owns an HD141.
I need a house first...

Some of those hand planes could hold some value. Look them up online.
Yeah I was thinking that too. I have an old Bailey I made into working condition of my great grandfathers... found out it’s called Sweetheart or something. Not perfect tho as I had to replace a few missing parts.

Yeah I was thinking that too. I have an old Bailey I made into working condition of my great grandfathers... found out it’s called Sweetheart or something. Not perfect tho as I had to replace a few missing parts.
The old sweethearts are amazing! I have a set of modern Stanley sweetheart chisels made of Sheffield steel. I love them but they’re nothing like the Bailey sweetheart old tools. Do whatever you can to keep the old iron and caps. Those blades are better than most new ones unless you’re dropping $200+ on new lee valley or Veritas tools. You can easily restore the bevel with a honing stone and a jig. It’s just time consuming. But there’s nothing like having the sharpest object in the neighborhood. I got one of my chisels so sharp I almost split the universe in two. o_O

The old sweethearts are amazing! I have a set of modern Stanley sweetheart chisels made of Sheffield steel. I love them but they’re nothing like the Bailey sweetheart old tools. Do whatever you can to keep the old iron and caps. Those blades are better than most new ones unless you’re dropping $200+ on new lee valley or Veritas tools. You can easily restore the bevel with a honing stone and a jig. It’s just time consuming. But there’s nothing like having the sharpest object in the neighborhood. I got one of my chisels so sharp I almost split the universe in two. o_O
I had to buy the chipper and a generic blade from a guy on eBay. He sharpened it for me; super generous. Mine didn’t have either of those. But a bunch of those planers from my uncle are Baileys too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom