Builds Won a '74 40 on a coin toss... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought you had the wiper motor off before for a rebuild?

I did however I didn't have to fiddle with the electrical other than the new connection since the plastic connectors disintegrated.

With this job I will need to either take the wires off my wiper switch (tougher) or take the ones at the wiper motor connector (a bit easier) and then pull the wire back out the window frame. There is one gasket on the side of windshield frame that needs to come out - I'll find a close enough replacement for that and then do the glue up fabrication mentioned above for the hose/grommet.

Windshield down I should've never doubted @JohnnyC - pads oriented the correct way:

IMG_7764.JPG

Track looks good no significant rust!
IMG_7766.JPG

Alrighty got the old cushion out and only had to cut one wire of the four to get it out of the plastic connector - there must be an easier way to get those things out. I'm sure @Coolerman can do it in his sleep. Not so much here. Now just need to get the gaskets addressed. Off to the hardware store after dinner...

IMG_7768.JPG

Got some grommets of course do not fit exactly - but they're close enough and will do what they're supposed to do - protect the wires from the sharp metal! Here is my tentative grommet/hose mockup - I haven't glued it but I think it will work just fine. Plus more blingy red hose on my cruiser. In reality the only hose remnant I had that fit... ;)

IMG_7769.JPG

Last edited:
Where'd you get that hose? That's pretty nifty!

Vacuumed and wiped out looks really good! Seal did its job! It will be put out to stud now to enjoy a well deserved retirement.

IMG_7772.JPG

Looks like I've got some seam sealer to take care of as well... Looks cracked.

Hey we finally hit 70 degrees! Snuck in some painting. Turned out pretty good. Panel is nice and flat, probably my best work yet. Will do a wet sand and matte clear coat hopefully tomorrow.

IMG_7789.JPG

Work continues on the rear hatch... slow and steady. Turns out the clear coat I got is designed for vinyl and plastic. Not sure how I ended up with that but I will not be using that on the rear hatch. Did the wet sand thing and am contemplating on how much to refurb and how much patina to leave. Some surface rust I'm thinking I should probably address but that expands the project a lot more.

Pulled the old weatherstrip off and what a mess. PO slopped on a bunch of glue that dried hard yellow. Chipped off as much as I could but will be ordering the 3M stuff to remove what's left. If you have a rear hatch you might want to get an OEM weatherstrip before they're gone. I want to say it was only $30 or so. Part number below for reference.

IMG_7865.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom