wisdom or experience on multiple video cameras on 2006 LX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kileni

2006 LX470
Threads
I've got a spare tire that blocks my factory 6v video camera, and am thinking about adding a couple others (one that's on the back and not blocked, one on the front bumper) with a switch, running that through the factory head/screen.

I'm struggling to find any aftermarket hardware for a 2006 LX470 to help. Does anything exist?

Recommendations or experience? Thanks!

limited with the stock screen. VIOFO works well under the rearview mirror with it's own small screen, wiring from the overhead console. Wiring a frt bumper cam to the dash, probably through the nav ecu would be horrible. Screen rez would be bad.
People move the 6vdc rear cam to the tire mount.. Which would involve a different cam at 12vdc and equally painful, but less than running signal all over the car.

changing a input wire to 12 vdc instad of 6vdc - Google Search - https://www.google.com/search?q=changing+a+input+wire+to+12+vdc+instad+of+6vdc&rlz=1C1RXQR_enUS1023US1023&oq=changing+a+input+wire+to+12+vdc+instad+of+6vdc&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQABiiBDIHCAIQABiiBDIHCAMQABiiBDIKCAQQABiiBBiJBTIHCAUQABiiBNIBCTEzMzU1ajFqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I purchased the GROM VL2 which allows CarPlay through the stock nav system, check it out. Many Mud threads on this unit.

I Really enjoy keeping the stock appearance while being able to use modern tech. Sure the stock screen is antiquated but it performs great for my liking.

I believe the GROM unit allows adding cameras that will run through stock screen, in addition to stock backup cam.

I purchased the GROM VL2 which allows CarPlay through the stock nav system, check it out. Many Mud threads on this unit.

I Really enjoy keeping the stock appearance while being able to use modern tech. Sure the stock screen is antiquated but it performs great for my liking.

I believe the GROM unit allows adding cameras that will run through stock screen, in addition to stock backup cam.

This looks like a fascinating option. I hadn't come across it.

I did come across this yesterday, though: 2003 - 2007 Lexus LX 470 (J100) Apple CarPlay (Wired & Wireless) + Android Auto (Wired & Wireless) + USB Media + HDMI (OEM Touch Screen Control) - https://naviks.com/i-24077170-2003-2007-lexus-lx-470-j100-apple-carplay-wired-wireless-android-auto-wired-wireless-usb-media-hdmioem-touch-screen-control.html

Had you heard of it? Thoughts on pros and cons to each?

Is there a thread I've not discovered where others talk about this stuff?

This looks like a fascinating option. I hadn't come across it.

I did come across this yesterday, though: 2003 - 2007 Lexus LX 470 (J100) Apple CarPlay (Wired & Wireless) + Android Auto (Wired & Wireless) + USB Media + HDMI (OEM Touch Screen Control) - https://naviks.com/i-24077170-2003-2007-lexus-lx-470-j100-apple-carplay-wired-wireless-android-auto-wired-wireless-usb-media-hdmioem-touch-screen-control.html

Had you heard of it? Thoughts on pros and cons to each?

Is there a thread I've not discovered where others talk about this stuff?
Yep I looked at the Naviks option- it is a smaller unit, which I liked, and seems to do basically the same thing as GROM. Ultimately decided no on Naviks because it has a on/off switch. GROM fires up automatically with the truck.

GROM unit is kind of bulky, takes up half of glove box. It has hdmi and 2 usb ports. Assuming these ports can be used for cameras. I used 1 usb port to install a 2 usb-c port charger in the 12v charger dash location.

Basically copied this: see post #15 (thanks @cryptyk )

I have front and rear cameras hooked up with the teyes cc3 360, but that's a big change from the stock head unit.
Glad the build post was helpful @geo5 :)

Man, you are really attached to antiquated tech. Do you still use an iPhone 3G?
😀

Though I've had LandCruisers on 3 continents, the LX470 is new to me, so I'm just trying to find the best options. Where the head unit on the LX470 controls everything, I don't quite get what the options are, yet. There were some super helpful posts in this thread, though.

Yep I looked at the Naviks option- it is a smaller unit, which I liked, and seems to do basically the same thing as GROM. Ultimately decided no on Naviks because it has a on/off switch. GROM fires up automatically with the truck.

GROM unit is kind of bulky, takes up half of glove box. It has hdmi and 2 usb ports. Assuming these ports can be used for cameras. I used 1 usb port to install a 2 usb-c port charger in the 12v charger dash location.

Basically copied this: see post #15 (thanks @cryptyk )
SUUUUPER helpful. Bless you!

I have front and rear cameras hooked up with the teyes cc3 360, but that's a big change from the stock head unit.
Glad the build post was helpful @geo5 :)
Fasicanting. Hadn't heard of the Teyes CC3 360.

So where did you mount the screen? Pictures welcome!

What do you like/dislikes about the purchase?

I've been battling a GROM VL2 unit for 8 months, it has only been reliable for 20 minute increments.... if their tech support ends up being unable to solve the problem, I think I'll try out the Naviks option next. Options seem to be more limited for 2006-07 Land Cruisers, the LX470 models have had much better success rates with the aftermarket systems.

I've been battling a GROM VL2 unit for 8 months, it has only been reliable for 20 minute increments.... if their tech support ends up being unable to solve the problem, I think I'll try out the Naviks option next. Options seem to be more limited for 2006-07 Land Cruisers, the LX470 models have had much better success rates with the aftermarket systems.
Ugh. That's frustrating. Sorry. But thanks for giving that info.

I've wondered about GROM VL2 vs. Naviks, but also wondered if/how this would compete: T'EYES CC3 360 Camera System Upgrade - https://teyes.com.au/products/cc3-360-camera-system

Have you heard anything about that?

There's a giant thread here somewhere about the Teyes CC3 units, but I don't recall seeing anything about the surround cameras. Once again the Land Cruisers seems to have more issues with installs, vs the LX470 owners seem to have better luck. I think most of the issues have been solved with help from each other here on 'mud, but the analog volume knob still doesn't work. That was a deal breaker for me, at the time. This non-functional Grom unit may have changed my priorities however.

Andrew

There's a giant thread here somewhere about the Teyes CC3 units, but I don't recall seeing anything about the surround cameras. Once again the Land Cruisers seems to have more issues with installs, vs the LX470 owners seem to have better luck. I think most of the issues have been solved with help from each other here on 'mud, but the analog volume knob still doesn't work. That was a deal breaker for me, at the time. This non-functional Grom unit may have changed my priorities however.

Andrew
I hope you get on top of things. Please keep us posted.

Man, you are really attached to antiquated tech. Do you still use an iPhone 3G?
Thank you for showing us the result of too many concussions. Anything to add here other than your Ass umption? I’m personally a fan of easy and long lasting, as that’s Toyotas motto right? People are using extra screens for all types of tech in their cars. Why fix things that don’t need fixing.

One could argue with your assessment of the 3g, my iPhone three had way better reception than my 5g 2023 14…

• Haha
Reactions: GTV
I've had the GROM VL2 for a few years. It's mostly stable now. The only remaining glitch is the "calling aliens" screen - about 20% of the time, at startup, the screen is black with green squiggly lines. The audio is fine; just no screen. The "fix" is to press FM then Audio. That works 100% of the time. This glitch is several years old AND GROM has not come up with a fix - as of yesterday.

My review of the GROM VL2 would go like this:
It works well. It's the best option available. GROM's customer support and development efforts know it's the best available option... and are not motivated to improve it.

I've had the GROM VL2 for a few years. It's mostly stable now. The only remaining glitch is the "calling aliens" screen - about 20% of the time, at startup, the screen is black with green squiggly lines. The audio is fine; just no screen. The "fix" is to press FM then Audio. That works 100% of the time. This glitch is several years old AND GROM has not come up with a fix - as of yesterday.

It works well. It's the best option available. GROM's customer support and development efforts know it's the best available option... and are not motivated to improve it.
That's helpful. Thank you!

It doesn't seem like there is a for-sure-awesome option out there.

Thanks much for that tip. No one at Grom support passed along that fix to me as of yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom