Builds Wilson's FJ80 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any updates with this build?

I had the frame undercoated this fall, didn't drive it at all this winter, then got sliders for it.

PXL_20220618_214805160.jpg

And then never took it off-road. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Probably put 500 miles on it this year.

I don't have a problem with it starting anymore, but it gets fumey when it's hot out. Since replacing the charcoal canister there's no more pressure on the cap, but still dealing with fumes in the heat. My 100 is good for this too. Super frustrating.

I've turned my house into an Airbnb all summer and pulling a 21' camper that the almost-300K mile Hundy has been struggling with. So, just bought a 200 this week to replace the 100.

My issue now is that between traveling all summer (when I thought I would be driving the 80) and not wanting to drive this truck in the winter, I'm not driving it like I thought I would and am considering selling it. Right now I'm leaning toward keeping the 100 as a wheeling truck/winter beater.

I had the frame undercoated this fall, didn't drive it at all this winter, then got sliders for it.

View attachment 3080164

And then never took it off-road. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Probably put 500 miles on it this year.

I don't have a problem with it starting anymore, but it gets fumey when it's hot out. Since replacing the charcoal canister there's no more pressure on the cap, but still dealing with fumes in the heat. My 100 is good for this too. Super frustrating.

I've turned my house into an Airbnb all summer and pulling a 21' camper that the almost-300K mile Hundy has been struggling with. So, just bought a 200 this week to replace the 100.

My issue now is that between traveling all summer (when I thought I would be driving the 80) and not wanting to drive this truck in the winter, I'm not driving it like I thought I would and am considering selling it. Right now I'm leaning toward keeping the 100 as a wheeling truck/winter beater.
Thanks for the update. 80 looks awesome. Would be a shame if it gets sold but I understand if you do.

It's a good looking rig. Taking it to the Fall Gathering again this year?

I hope to! Busy fall... I'm representing OutdoorX4 at Land Rover TreK in VT in Sept., then signed up for Fall Crawl in Oct. Fall Gathering is close tho and should be doable. It was a lot of fun last year.

My truck spent some time with @Pacer and came back much improved. Before he took it home a few weeks ago we removed the rear sway bar to install an HD one from whiteline. It didn't match up so will need holes drilled in it, but he wanted to test drive it without the sway bar and the ride improved remarkably. So I've been driving it without it until we have a sec to get the new one on.

He addressed a lot of problems I didn't even know I had and the truck is much happier. He also swapped out my MTs for smaller ATs that were on his 80 and the truck is working a lot less now.

Enjoyed a perfect weekend at Yankee Toys' Fall Gathering. The truck is such a pleasure to drive off-road. And -- as you probably could have guessed -- having real difficulty considering parting with it now.

IMG-20221009-WA0002.jpg
IMG_1037.jpg
PXL_20221008_133429531~2.jpg
PXL_20221008_164352427.jpg

PXL_20221007_164851446~2.jpg

My truck spent some time with @Pacer and came back much improved. Before he took it home a few weeks ago we removed the rear sway bar to install an HD one from whiteline. It didn't match up so will need holes drilled in it, but he wanted to test drive it without the sway bar and the ride improved remarkably. So I've been driving it without it until we have a sec to get the new one on.

He addressed a lot of problems I didn't even know I had and the truck is much happier. He also swapped out my MTs for smaller ATs that were on his 80 and the truck is working a lot less now.

Enjoyed a perfect weekend at Yankee Toys' Fall Gathering. The truck is such a pleasure to drive off-road. And -- as you probably could have guessed -- having real difficulty considering parting with it now.

View attachment 3137123View attachment 3137124View attachment 3137125View attachment 3137129
View attachment 3137134
love your heeler pup. Can you elaborate how removal of the rear sway bar results in a much better ride quality offroad?

love your heeler pup. Can you elaborate how removal of the rear sway bar results in a much better ride quality offroad?

Thanks! That's Pacer's pup. I keep threatening to steal her.

The handling just improved in general, not off-road. Before we removed it it felt as though you got a lot of feedback from the rear of the truck and your steering had to compensate for it. On the rough, potholed back roads around here it was pretty sloppy going down the road and required constant correction.

The handling just improved in general, not off-road. Before we removed it it felt as though you got a lot of feedback from the rear of the truck and your steering had to compensate for it. On the rough, potholed back roads around here it was pretty sloppy going down the road and required constant correction.
Rather than browse through your whole thread, can you remember if the Delta VS Panhard Lift Bracket was installed in all your mods? If not, look at your rear panhard rod and see if it has much of a slope. According to @Delta VS , handling can be negatively affected after a lift if the panhard has much of a slope. It should be as close to horizontal as possible. Here's a link to the thread that talks about it. Sway bar removal, especially the rear, is not a good idea for pavement performance. Might even have legal issues if you have an accident involving another vehicle and an insurance investigator discovers a safety device was removed. Yes, sway bars are considered a safety device.

Glad to see you still have this thing. It’s a beast! Do you also disconnect the front sway bar when you go offroading?

Rather than browse through your whole thread, can you remember if the Delta VS Panhard Lift Bracket was installed in all your mods? If not, look at your rear panhard rod and see if it has much of a slope. According to @Delta VS , handling can be negatively affected after a lift if the panhard has much of a slope. It should be as close to horizontal as possible. Here's a link to the thread that talks about it. Sway bar removal, especially the rear, is not a good idea for pavement performance. Might even have legal issues if you have an accident involving another vehicle and an insurance investigator discovers a safety device was removed. Yes, sway bars are considered a safety device.

Yes, I've got the bracket.

It's a temporary fix.

FWIW, I haven't had a rear sway bar on either 80 in countless years. It allows the rear to droop more and IMO does not negatively effect on road handling.

Good to know! I'll admit I was nervous to test drive it, but the only time it felt uncomfortable was coming off highway ramps so I took it a little slower.

Good to know! I'll admit I was nervous to test drive it, but the only time it felt uncomfortable was coming off highway ramps so I took it a little slower.
The front sway bar makes a significant difference in top sway. I had to drive without one for a while as the tabs were ripping off the front axle housing. That'll make you slow down in the curves.
It's not a sports sedan and yours sits higher than mine.

The front sway bar makes a significant difference in top sway. I had to drive without one for a while as the tabs were ripping off the front axle housing. That'll make you slow down in the curves.
It's not a sports sedan and yours sits higher than mine.
Did your F sway bar tabs break from rust or from heavy offroad use?

Did your F sway bar tabs break from rust or from heavy offroad use?
Likely from front flexing over the years. This is a common issue with the 80 Series as the axle tabs for the sway bar are thin and only partially welded. I cut mine off and replaced with heavy duty sway bar links from Wits End. Heavier gauge steel and fully welded to the axle housing.

It's not a sports sedan and yours sits higher than mine

I have driven down the mountain about 11k elevation down to sea level without the front sway bar (forgot to reconnect after our wheeling trip), and it felt fine, just some extra body roll, nothing major IMO. I am going to remove my rear sway and see how it feels on pavement as i am tired of replacing the brackets damaged from rocks....

Likely from front flexing over the years. This is a common issue with the 80 Series as the axle tabs for the sway bar are thin and only partially welded. I cut mine off and replaced with heavy duty sway bar links from Wits End. Heavier gauge steel and fully welded to the axle housing.

New OEM front axle housings were also updated with the 105 to fully weld the bracket to the axle housing…. You know, if you want to buy a new axle housing. 😂

I will have to check this out next week at Fall Crawl, I think last time you had the 100 down there. Are those 285's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom