Builds Who likes addition? (FJ-60 + 1HZ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any updates on this?? Eagerly awaiting..

Funny you ask....

I might FINALLY get to work on my cruiser this month. Haven't touched it since August otherwise though.

Dan

Wow, I don't know how I've missed this build, it's amazing! Keep up the great work and I hope you get to work on the cruiser more here soon!

You are so close to getting this going. I'm checking back and checking often..

Don't I know it! I'm hoping that a good week and I'll have it on the road.

I've got too many other projects and stuff right now. I really hope that someday things slow down, although I'm willing to bet that if they do that I'll just find more projects.

Dan

So.... I've got a few days to tinker with this. ;)

No snow at home in the forecast, and I haven't exactly been "stingy" with my board this year, so this is a perfect couple of days to hop down and work on the 60 a bit....

My big goal (since the weather is so nice) is to paint the two last bits that need it: the tailgate and the front core support.

To that end, I started on the tailgate (the core support is ready now).

The tailgate original to this truck was pretty wavy and dented. I tried. But got this one instead. It's only issue was this mess from a PO. Bondo, rust, and a crap ton of some sort of sealant. I cut it out and welded in new metal (this is right where the 4WD logo goes).
IMG_5304.jpg

IMG_5305.jpg

I also cut out the inside of the tailgate, and removed the supports so that the tailgate panel from @socallove would work. Not to toot my own horn, but I did a cleaner job than Dad did on his 61. ;)

Then I Mounted the fire extinguisher. I ended up mounting it to the lid itself, with two simple holes. Easy.
IMG_5307.jpg

IMG_5308.jpg

And here it is closed. I will replace those bolts and nuts with some that will be lower profile (I will probably countersink them) today. The fire extinguisher has a good 1/2" clearance from the tail gate, although that will be reduced a bit by a sheet of sound deadener once the paint is on. That will prevent it from rattling if the tailgate oilcans a bit.
IMG_5309.jpg

I should post more pics tonight.

For the next couple days, my goals are to get the tailgate and front core support painted, and to rebuild the rear diff....

Dan

Hi Dan, I don't mean to be critical, but I would put the extinguisher somewhere visible and easy to get to in an accident. I believe they really should be where others coming to your rescue or along for the ride who aren't familiar with the vehicle can find it easily. Great you got some more time! Keep up the good work.

Hi Dan, I don't mean to be critical, but I would put the extinguisher somewhere visible and easy to get to in an accident. I believe they really should be where others coming to your rescue or along for the ride who aren't familiar with the vehicle can find it easily. Great you got some more time! Keep up the good work.

Hah! I agree actually.

....which is why this won't be the only fire extinguisher.

...and why I ordered some decals for it... (sorry the pics are so big, linked from Amazon)

71zHIiBqg3L._SL1399_.jpg

51b3BYRPMPL.jpg

The Tailgate is someplace that can't really be obstructed, because even with the back of the truck full of stuff you can open the tailgate and get to it--so long as you know it's there. Which is why the decals make sense.

;)

Dan

Finished icing and sanding (and icing and sanding) the patch on the tailgate. It's ready for paint tomorrow (which will be a little warmer than today was).

I took no pictures of the tailgate though. So use your imaginations.

I also stripped down two differentials. A 3.70 Diff from an FJ60 Front axle (so very little wear), and the 4.10 E-locked Diff.

The 3.70 Ring and Pinon will be put into the E-Locker housing. I can't imagine many people have regard in that direction, but I am. I like MPGs--a LOT. And Dad's HJ61 is riding on 3.70 gears which feel just perfect for our driving. The biggest factor for me is the road up to my property/homesite. The 2F in Guzzler with 33s and 3.70 gears couldn't make it up the road in high range. There's a section that is just so steep that the engine would stall. But the 12HT with 3.70 gears handles it beautifully. I can't be burdened by having to shift into low range just to get home every day, can I? :)

Here's some pics!

The gear pattern before I took the open 3.70 diff apart.
IMG_5317.jpg

The E-locked diff. Look at that rust on the housing. The gears have very little wear and looked great, but it came from an east coast truck--and it's gross. I'm working on that. ;)
IMG_5321.jpg

And the two R&Ps next to one another. 3.70 is farther away (with the white gear marking), and the 4.10 is close in both pics.
IMG_5322.jpg
IMG_5323.jpg

Since the differential housing is stripped down, it's going to get prettied up. In fact, I think I'm going to powder coat the housing. Seriously. Since I'm abrasive blasting all of the rust and paint off, I can't think of a good reason not to try it. I *should* get that done tomorrow, in addition to painting the tailgate and core support.

I know, it doesn't look like a lot for a day. But this wasn't the only cruiser project we worked on today. We also stopped procrastinating and started the Prospector ('78 FJ40) up for the first time since Dad rebuilt pretty much everything on it.

Obviously it needs an exhaust, and the ignition timing is off, and I'll bet there's an intake leak or two that we've missed--but it runs! Pretty stoked on that!

Dan

I doubt I will get the diff back together tonight, but the paint...
IMG_5329.JPG

Then the color:
IMG_5331.JPG

And now the clear!
IMG_5333.JPG

IMG_5334.JPG

The clear is curing right now. Time to tidy up a bit and celebrate!

Dan

I had to go back after dinner to tidy up...

And I figured that meant I ought to set the 3.70 ring gear onto the E-Locked carrier. You know, because that would be more tidy. So I did. I can definitively report that a 60 series 3.70 ring gear fits into an FZJ80 E-Locked carrier. Not that I was anticipating an issue, but since I hadn't seen it done I will report it.

We also reinstalled the freshly painted front core support.
IMG_5336.JPG

IMG_5337.JPG

Sexier than the primer for sure!

Ok. That's really it for a bit. Headed to work tomorrow. Hoping I can get back later this month, or in March...

Dan

Nice work Dan. What are you going to use to actuate the locker? air? electric? cable?

It's a Toyota E-Locker.

I wish the Harrop would have been on the market when I bought it, because that would be simpler, but this works.

I would LOVE to have found a cable locker, but the E-Locker will work fine for my purpose.

Dan

It's a Toyota E-Locker.

I wish the Harrop would have been on the market when I bought it, because that would be simpler, but this works.

I would LOVE to have found a cable locker, but the E-Locker will work fine for my purpose.

Dan

I used a 80 series elocker third on my 40 but converted it to cable by removing the elocker motor and installing the cable conversion from chilkat designs. Lots of pics in my thread in my sig. Super simple kit but a lot of people install linear pneumatic actuators in place of the motors as well which is cheap and easy if you are planning on having on board air

LOCK2.jpg
LOCK1.jpg
LOCK.jpg

Last edited:
Hey remember this truck?

I sure do. WAAAAY too busy to work on it since February (I am building a house), but I had a night in NM for work yesterday/today...

...soooo.....

I at least took the time to mount the tailgate and stuff.
IMG_5592.JPG

And the storage lid from @socallove...

IMG_5593.JPG

You can see the dynamat I put down in the tailgate, and the fire extinguisher mounted.
IMG_5595.JPG

And a pic of the overall rear storage area with all the storage panels installed...

IMG_5596.JPG

I will get one more day like today this month (a couple hours), but I'm thinking that's a good day to finish mounting up the radiator shroud and maybe run some tests on the wiring harness.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom