Which CV Axles? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's an example of the spline wear on the OEM flange compared to new- thiis widening of the teeth is what creates the lash & part of the F-N-R driveline clunk.
Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 12.18.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 12.19.39 PM.png

With a cost of flanges and when you have clunk present it's a waste of money NOT to get new ones. Once they tight - they tight. Once knock develops - you just accelerate wear, the more they clunk the more they wear. I'd like to see them on "tight" fit side to be honest. Reusing old beat up flanges with new axles is just ruining new axles quicker and even if clunk will be minimal it will accelerate much quicker.

Yeah but there are so many people out there that look at the cost of the axles and think that is the majority of the problem.
Much like what I am going through, I have no clue how well anything was taken care of, let alone how well the shop that installed the previous axles, actually did them (I kinda know the answer).
So I am replacing just about EVERYTHING to ensure that I have a clean and good baseline. All with OE stuff to ensure that it lasts another 100k+.
Too many times, POs just take their trucks to "a shop" and have them do work to stop XYZ symptom instead of actually delving in. Much of that at those shop rates becomes cost prohibitive.

Yeah but there are so many people out there that look at the cost of the axles and think that is the majority of the problem.

My axle slop is so bad - it really annoys. I afraid it will strip splines if I don't take care of it :) I think PO sold it because they just replaced Axles with AM.
So, AM axles had bad splines. And flanges even if they were OK prior to job - they are shot now because axles constantly bang on them.

I won't replace everything, definitely will take apart and evaluate first. But basic stuff like hardware, seals, etc - for sure going to be replaced.

My axle slop is so bad - it really annoys. I afraid it will strip splines if I don't take care of it :) I think PO sold it because they just replaced Axles with AM.
So, AM axles had bad splines. And flanges even if they were OK prior to job - they are shot now because axles constantly bang on them.

I won't replace everything, definitely will take apart and evaluate first. But basic stuff like hardware, seals, etc - for sure going to be replaced.
Yup pretty much where I am at.
PO didn't tell me about vibration at 55mph+ on the highway, we pretty much took city streets most of the time and he eased into speed on the highway (how you can get around vibration). So when I found it on my way home it was already too late. Then the s***ty install job that 4WPs charged him for, not even using the appropriate hardware and have a feeling they didn't even torque everything properly. Yeah it is going to be interesting when I start disassembling this weekend.

Yeah I am sticking with same rotors, studs, cone washers, nuts, needle bearings and brass bushing but everything else for the most part is being replaced. Got all new lock nuts (x2), new lock ring, new seals, new bearings, new diff seal, new hub flanges, new axle end caps, new snap ring set. So pretty much everything else there.

At lunch I ran across this thread and started to find how the parts look IRL.

Toyota OEM 43403-60010
1597350575371.png

NKN NN12131H or NN12112H (Made in Japan confirmed), Note 3 Bearing Style.
1597350591201.png

HDK TO-074 (Made in Japan) 6 Bearing Style.
1597350669560.png

1597365409933.png

HDK IN-TO-23 MAde in Japan, But interestingly is the 3 bearing version.

Febest 0111FZJ100 (I believe made in China?)
1597350616900.png

Cardones 665185HD, I haven't been able to find a photo of their bearing configuration.

Last edited:
Toyota OEM 43430-60040
1597359811791.png

NKN NN1211 (Made in Japan) but these use the 3 bearing configuration. I don't believe they are the OEM supplier of this part.
1597359834358.png

1597360574539.png

HDK DS-TO-13 Made in Japan (emailed to ask if it is using 3 bearing or 6 bearing) and for picture

CARDONE 665185 (with standard neoprene outboard boot) China/Mexico,, Bearing Type

CARDONE 665185HD (with HD Thermopalstic Outboard Boot) China/Mexico, Bearing Type

SURTRACK / TRAKMOTIVE TO8139 China, , Bearing Type

APWI TO8223 China, Bearing Type

GSP NCV69571 China, Bearing Type
1597361080992.png

Will update once I get a chance to do more research.

Thanks @JunkCrzr89 and @OwnerCS for the country of origins!

Last edited:
CARDONE 665185 (with standard neoprene outboard boot) Pending Country of MFG, Bearing Type

CARDONE 665185HD (with HD Thermopalstic Outboard Boot) Pending Country of MFG, Bearing Type

SURTRACK / TRAKMOTIVE TO8139 Pending Country of MFG, Bearing Type

APWI TO8223 Pending Country of MFG, Bearing Type

GSP NCV69571 Pending Country of MFG, Bearing Type
In descending order: China/Mexico, China/Mexico, China, China, China.

Every CV-type axle assembly has the ball type on the outer end and the three-bearing type on the inner end. The three-bearing end has the ability to to move in and out, the other does not. It wouldn't last very long without the ability to extend and compress.

That’s not true. The OEM CVs have 6-ball rzeppa joints inner and outer.
This is correct... Cheap aftermarket have the "tri-pod" style inner axle tulip. This is what was originally on my truck and causing noise and vibration starting about 55mph. Stock OE style have what is called the RZEPPA inner tulip that has a cage and 6 large ball bearings locked in.

☝🏾 This is correct! The seals on each side are different sizes and thus, different part numbers.
So if I plan to replace both sides of the seals I should buy both of these two as the pics below and the LEFT 47027 means driver side and RIGHT 47013 means passenger side, is my understanding right?

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 6.44.23 PM.png

Last edited:
So if I plan to replace both sides of the seals I should buy both of these two as the pics below and the LEFT 47027 means driver side and RIGHT 47013 means passenger side, is my understanding right?

View attachment 2606684

Correct.

Diff seals3.JPG

Diff seals.jpg

Do we really need to take off the flange/hub for replacing the cv Axle, or only the snap ring taking off is required for this job? What will be the best practice taking off the flange or not?

IF you want to check the drive flange for 'fit' to the new CV Axle or examine it for spline wear it will need to come off. Otherwise you could slip CV out without removing them when you let the steering knuckle down.

I'm having clicking noise that I'm almost certain that is the cv axle. The rig is 2005 lx only 135k miles with no tears or leakage to the boots. Is it likely that only the outboard joint needs replacement or should the entire axle be replaced? Other than noise, what are the best ways to ensure the cv axle is the culprit?

clicking noise that I'm almost certain that is the cv axle
Check lug nuts torque first. Loose lug nuts can make a similar clicking noise as cv joint.

Is it likely that only the outboard joint needs replacement or should the entire axle be replaced?
Typically the outer joint fails and outboard splines are worn while the inner joint and inboard splines are fine.
Other than noise, what are the best ways to ensure the cv axle is the culprit?
Clicking/popping noise is the best indicator. Otherwise you have to pull the boot off, clean all the grease out, and inspect the balls, cage, etc. If you’re gonna do that, then just replace...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom