Which CV Axles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's the full shopping list for brand new CV Axle R&R. Many of these new replacement nuts & bolts listed aren't mission critical, but new axles & flanges like new hardware. Prices are not current- a few years old.

Pro shipping tip: Call the dealer you plan to buy from and give them specific packing instructions to prevent damage to you new CV. Must be packed "Box in Box". The axles come loose in their own box and the dust shields get bent. Care must be taken to wrap the end of the axle & dust shield in bubble wrap, then the whole box gets wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap and placed in a shipping box- or the shipping box is well layered with packing paper, or better a layer of foam- so the inside box is protected from being thrown, dropped etc; because it will be.

McGeorge used to ship them this way:
View attachment 2311676

View attachment 2311667

View attachment 2311668
Thanks... Only one's that I question is whether I got the proper diff side seals for the axles... Gotta rummage up that part number from invoices. Do remember purchasing a "LH/RH" specific ones.

Back in my 3rd gen 4runner days I bought manufactured axles from CVJ and I couldn't tell the difference from new: https://www.cvjreman.com/

Highly recommended.

They also offer a higher angle silicone boot option but not sure if that's just a gimmick.
Yeah I looked at them but without OEM cores, the cost for the axles would only be slightly less than new.

Yeah I looked at them but without OEM cores, the cost for the axles would only be slightly less than new.
The CVJs are just rebooted old axles ($55 boot kit), so typically have worn outer splines out the box. 10/10 would not recommend given the poor cost-benefit ratio.

Here's the full shopping list for brand new CV Axle R&R. Many of these new replacement nuts & bolts listed aren't mission critical, but new axles & flanges like new hardware. Prices are not current- a few years old.

Pro shipping tip: Call the dealer you plan to buy from and give them specific packing instructions to prevent damage to you new CV. Must be packed "Box in Box". The axles come loose in their own box and the dust shields get bent. Care must be taken to wrap the end of the axle & dust shield in bubble wrap, then the whole box gets wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap and placed in a shipping box- or the shipping box is well layered with packing paper, or better a layer of foam- so the inside box is protected from being thrown, dropped etc; because it will be.

McGeorge used to ship them this way:
View attachment 2311676

View attachment 2311667

View attachment 2311668

Interesting... Looks like I purchased a sub number for the RH Diff seal.. While I see the one you have attached (9031147013) I bought one that is 90311-T0016. Both are made by Toyota but mine says RH specific, where as yours says LH/RH according to Partsouq?!

And may have a line on some OEM axles that could use new outer tulips.
Looks like proper number for the outers is 43460-69035. I know that there are a few that have done this recently (think @ClassyJalopy did) but wondering if anyone can confirm? Depending on price of shipping for those OEM axles, at $200 for the outers and inner boots, it may be worth it and would give me a bit of savings.

Last edited:
The Toyota parts numbers might be different, but the diff tube lip is the same, the driveshafts are the same, the dusts seals are the same. Makes no difference which side they go on.
DS diff tube seal is easily a half inch wider, again, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Don’t believe me? Go pull both cv’s and seals and stack them on top of each other. Plz don’t spread bad info.

DS diff tube seal is easily a half inch wider, again, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Don’t believe me? Go pull both cv’s and seals and stack them on top of each other. Plz don’t spread bad info.
☝🏾 This is correct! The seals on each side are different sizes and thus, different part numbers.

The Toyota parts numbers might be different, but the diff tube lip is the same, the driveshafts are the same, the dusts seals are the same. Makes no difference which side they go on.

Not to pile on my man, but they're different. One was significantly smaller.

90311-47013 and 90311-47027 (supercedes -47012), as of about 2 weeks ago. At least on an '03, but I don't think there was a change for the tube seals.

Edit: Nevermind, y'all beat me to it.

Pile on all you want. The small one is the only one you need in the real world, for either side. I buy one size, and I always have a spare. If you are in BFE nowhere, the Toyota dealer won't carry it, but they will offer to order it - for about $45. The local parts house will only carry the one (smaller) size. If you need one, use it with no worries on either side.

If it pleases you to buy two different parts, I encourage it.

*facepalm. After having done CVs and seals at least 4 times now due to s***ty rebuilt axles, and 3 in a row Cardone HD axles that went bad within installation - 10k miles, I can confirm that left axle seal, and right axle seal is different Toyota part numbers. Can honestly do a CV job blindfolded because of how many times I've done it due to non-OEM CVs.

I just replaced mine 2 days ago.
The 2 seals are different sizes.
If you try to fit the small one on both sides, there is nothing to support it on the diff tube side.
Fresh air is not an effective oil seal.

Interesting... Looks like I purchased a sub number for the RH Diff seal.. While I see the one you have attached (9031147013) I bought one that is 90311-T0016. Both are made by Toyota but mine says RH specific, where as yours says LH/RH according to Partsouq?!

Looks like proper number for the outers is 43460-69035. I know that there are a few that have done this recently (think @ClassyJalopy did) but wondering if anyone can confirm? Depending on price of shipping for those OEM axles, at $200 for the outers and inner boots, it may be worth it and would give me a bit of savings.
Idk man I listed different part#s for left & right. The part you listed -T0016 has been superseded twice - quite old.
1589930820456.png

Anyway definitely two different seals required as others concur
90311-47013 RH
90311-47027. LH

Part number 43460-69145
See here for details Project: Rebuilding a busted CV

The seals have angled grooves as well, if I recall correct. Normally those grooves work to keep fluid working itself back into the fluid cavity. Install it on the wrong side and it'll work to pull fluid out. Not a huge deal, perhaps, but that stuff is what makes a part last 200k instead of 75k miles.

Last edited:
Mea culpa. Checked my records and my spares. Thought I did both sides twice. Actually did the drivers side three times, passenger side only once. My bad.
Most IFS toyotas use the same set of seals to front: For example 3rd gen 4runner tube seal is on the pass side and uses the same seal as LC's on driver side. I've done this about 4 times and yes two sides are different. 3
An oil seal cannot go in either direction.

Ok so know this has been asked in multiple forms, but honestly I can't afford new OEM CV Axles for my front end work. This is the last component that I need to "correct" the garbage work the PO had done by a "big name" shop.

Anyways, I have been debating between these two...
Nitro Gears Axles (from Just Differentials) for $190/ea., or
Cardone HD for $80/ea. (can be purchased from NAPA Auto also under their MAXDrive brand for about $30 extra.)

Thoughts?
I feel your pain... Even at employee cost I paid a little over $400 for one.
I was going to go with aftermarket or rebuilt ones but these ones lasted 200k miles, so wth.

Good luck, would love to know how they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom