When it rains, it pours... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
So in preparation for my extended road trip, I have been a busy little bee taking care of all the little things that add up over time.
Today I decided to change my alternator to the shiny new rebuilt one that's been sitting in my garage for a few months. However it seems as if the logic plug is glued into the housing. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to get it to move. It was soaked in WD40, cleaned, locking tab broke off, used small channel locks to try to rock the housing to free it up. All to no avail. I guess the old one stays until I can get a pigtail and cut the old one off.

Has anyone else had this happen??

OK fine. I might as well change the belts while I'm in there. My hand hit the fan blade and the water pump turned and made a squeal like a muffled baby's cry. I also noticed a very very slight amount of play if I rock the fan at 12 and 6 o'clock. New water pump on order.

Never easy....is it!

alt conn.jpg

The OEM connector is 90980-11349 and the splices to populate it are 82998-12440 x 3.

What is pictured above is an aftermarket replacement. I do not know the source for that.

So I threw a code 26. I started pulling the plugs to check on them, and found oil on the top of one of them, possibly unrelated. Regardless, valve gasket job.

While in there, I noticed a vbelt was chewed up and needs replacing.

Then I noticed a couple small green beads of coolant coming from the radiator top, so new radiator sitting in a box outside.

Did I mention it's still snowing outside?

So in preparation for my extended road trip, I have been a busy little bee taking care of all the little things that add up over time.
Today I decided to change my alternator to the shiny new rebuilt one that's been sitting in my garage for a few months. However it seems as if the logic plug is glued into the housing. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to get it to move. It was soaked in WD40, cleaned, locking tab broke off, used small channel locks to try to rock the housing to free it up. All to no avail. I guess the old one stays until I can get a pigtail and cut the old one off.

Has anyone else had this happen??

OK fine. I might as well change the belts while I'm in there. My hand hit the fan blade and the water pump turned and made a squeal like a muffled baby's cry. I also noticed a very very slight amount of play if I rock the fan at 12 and 6 o'clock. New water pump on order.

Do you miss your 3FE?

The OEM connector is 90980-11349 and the splices to populate it are 82998-12440 x 3.

What is pictured above is an aftermarket replacement. I do not know the source for that.
I've always loved you Dan.

Do you miss your 3FE?
Sort of, but it's really not a fair comparison. I have 25 years of experience with the 3FE and only 3 with the 1FZ. I'm still learning.
They're both bitches in their own special way.

On a positive note, the plugs all look fantastic and are very even.

Did you know this off the top of your head or did you have to look it up?

If you have to ask, you don't really know Cdan, move on civilian.

:lol:

I don't have ready catalog access since I hung up my cleats. On the other hand my memory is the longest thing I own....:)

I don't have ready catalog access since I hung up my cleats. On the other hand my memory is the longest thing I own....:)

This might be one of the most ridiculously insane part number recollections you've thrown out. I mean, how many of those could you have possibly sold over the years?

It's one thing to know the part number for a radiator or alternator or something but for a repair plug and splice? Insane!

I did 4 years as a Subaru Parts Manager in the mid 1980s. The hood for an '86 BRAT was 757220002. :meh:

I don't do names well however. People should have part numbers instead. :doh:

I understand the part number thing better than peoples names. @jonheld watch out because the next thing you do is pull the engine becuae one of the sensors isn't coming out easily. Rabbit hole, rabbit hole, rabbit hole.

I prefer removing the radiator cap and driving a new truck under it......:)

I understand the part number thing better than peoples names. @jonheld watch out because the next thing you do is pull the engine becuae one of the sensors isn't coming out easily. Rabbit hole, rabbit hole, rabbit hole.
This isn't a "rabbit hole". It's like the title says, when it rains, it pours.
In any case, I'm glad I discovered these things in my driveway rather than somewhere in Kansas on I70.

Onur got me new plugs for my fuel injectors when i did my head gasket they were a little trick to install but new plugs are so nice. I really should replace a bunch of them suck as the distributer and alt one you just broke.

Is the alt that it is stuck in something that you want or will it be trashed?
Because if you dont care about it once i get the new plug and new alt i would just start cracking apart the plug and removing the wires on at a time. You should be able to do it with out damaging the wires or metal pieces on the end of each wire. You might not damage the alt side of it or it might get damaged. If you care about it then i am sure someone will tell you how to remove it properly. Then just install the new OEM plug and new Alt.

I did 4 years as a Subaru Parts Manager in the mid 1980s. The hood for an '86 BRAT was 757220002. :meh:

I don't do names well however. People should have part numbers instead. :doh:

I guess this makes sense. I still remember customer's numbers from when I was in the cell phone biz back in 1994-1998. I can't remember their names but I'll see them and say "Hey, 319-350-xxxx!" And they look at me like I'm rain man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom