Builds What's a Parts Guy to Do?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry Charles. Nothing personal against the venerable Toyota diesels (if I was going to have any diesel in my engine bay it would indeed be a beautiful 1HZ).

It's just that a 2F rebuild is in my tax bracket. A diesel conversion is not unfortunately.

;)

I understand ..... All is forgiven. :)
Go with a complete rebuild so you can start from scratch.

All i see are non-OEM hose clamps...:frown:

attachment.php

Bet that'll be remedied in shot order whichever way O goes with this.

...via IH8MUD app

Yeah, issues of that nature will indeed be remedied once the engine goes back in. I have tons of new OEM clamps that I have been collecting for years now.

They will indeed be utilized.

:)

I'd say sell all the 2F parts and use your parts resources to put something in that's more fuel efficient. You're talking long-haul (300k miles). Getting 25+ mpg with a 2H, turbo or not, is far better than getting 15 with a 2F for that many miles. I don't think you should justify a diesel conversion for the fuel savings, but you're talking 20+ years of driving. Fuel cost certainly adds up.

Another question I thought of is do you own all those fancy parts or are they sitting at work, ready for purchase?

Looking forward to whatever you do :D

Yeah, issues of that nature will indeed be remedied once the engine goes back in. I have tons of new OEM clamps that I have been collecting for years now.

They will indeed be utilized.

Lol
You know i'm just jiving .

Good luck on the rebuild bro.
I'm glad that's the way i went too.
Thanks to Jim.

So it's too late for a 350?

Sorry Charles. Nothing personal against the venerable Toyota diesels (if I was going to have any diesel in my engine bay it would indeed be a beautiful 1HZ).

not an powerful mighty 1HD-T you broke my heart my friend ..

About your decision .. you rebuild engine, run a new H55F ( green envy coz of that ) rebuild t-case .. but still have alternator, axles, bearings, cables, connectors etc .. 20ish years old ?

I mean, I know all of us here are very deadly sick .. yeap Cruiser passion, love .. I get that, I have that, but that's not economy or time wise, wife said every single day, I say NO .. but I know she's right.

If money and time it's not an issue .. well do it as many others recommend ..

Since they're your spare parts and you work for a dealer, it makes sense to rebuild the stock motor. I'd prefer a 1HZ/1HD-T, but a rebuilt 2F with all those parts will have some awesome power :D

I say now is the time for 2FE. Put all of those parts and effort into something at least a little more efficient than a 2F.

Normally I think of doing the head only as a band-aid. Make the head new and that puts more pressure on the short block. It's a vicious circle, so nip it in the bud and do both at the same time.

So whats the update on this Lt Dan? Any garage love going on yet?

I almost broke the 'gat' out to come visit you when I initially read the topic of this thread. And while my enthusiastic 'hell yeah' counts for nothing more than a fellow 60 owner expressing his manly emotions, I hope you find as much joy in it as I am currently as a newbie.

Congrats on the decision. . .but plz put me on the list if you decide to change your mind =)

Shane

So whats the update on this Lt Dan? Any garage love going on yet?

:lol: Good one Matt.

Currently in holding pattern--very busy with work and waiting on local cruiser friend to let me borrow his cherrypicker. Hope to pull the entire engine/tranny/xfer next Sunday with a bit of help from a friend.

Then off to the races!

So with 1.5 over pistons and a skinny milled head, what kinda CR are you looking at? Will a stock head-gasket work with those?

How much are the pistons, btw? (they come with rings, pin, etc?)... I might just get a set for a rainy rainy day.

So with 1.5 over pistons and a skinny milled head, what kinda CR are you looking at? Will a stock head-gasket work with those?

How much are the pistons, btw? (they come with rings, pin, etc?)... I might just get a set for a rainy rainy day.

The head is just getting cleaned and a very slight tiny amount taken off the bottom. The stock HG will more than be able to compensate for the difference. Not worried about that part.

Pistons: List: $109.93 each// MUD: $82.45 EACH.

Thank you.

I've got a spare late 2F in the garage that already has .40 over pistons, but I've been fantasizing about doing what you're about to do, using available Toyota pistons.

I'll follow this build and see how yours turns out.

Sorry if I'm creating any performance anxiety. o_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom