What'd you do to your KREWESER today? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

well, I am partial to 4" lifts since the springs tend to sag pretty quickly anyway; I have run Skyjackers for the past 10 years - Skyjacker is a local Louisiana company, too (not that I care for the religious pamphlets in their shipments :rolleyes:) - you might be able to swing a deal if you pick them up yourself :idea: . . . (no personal experience as my 40 lives in Arizona)

plus, if you ever contract the "bigger, better" bug, 35s or 315s will work with a 4" lift ;)

Thanks Claudia I did not know they were a local company.

I started a front disc brake up grade but everything came to a stand still when I pulled the locking hub off . I had axle oil come pouring out. Now I need to order some new seals and wheel bearings. I don't know if I need to rebuild the knuckle as well. I don't won't to spend the money on something that's not worn out.

I have been measuring my cruiser for my build thread. I am going to quantify the improvement in vehicle dimensions etc., starting with static measurements like height, etc.

I thought I remembered a thread where someone had a scale. I would like to measure it myself and get more detailed weights per wheel. Does anyone have such equipment that I could use at some location, or borrow?

Thanks Claudia I did not know they were a local company.

I started a front disc brake up grade but everything came to a stand still when I pulled the locking hub off . I had axle oil come pouring out. Now I need to order some new seals and wheel bearings. I don't know if I need to rebuild the knuckle as well. I don't won't to spend the money on something that's not worn out.

I saw your thread in the 40s forum :cheers: - Kurt is the man for front axle rebuild kits and seals @cruiseroutfitters.com - they sell you what you really need and ship the same day or next :D

the front axle is just a messy job due to all the moly grease involved (by the way, Shout fabric spot cleaner works surprisingly well on removing the stains from clothing during laundry - spray carpet cleaner also gets rid of it, don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:) - but if you keep track of what you took apart, it will be clear how to reassemble it again - just takes time

post up some pics on how it is going . . .

as far as the Marlin inner seals: they have a larger seal area and work well on part-time 4 wheel drives, such as 40s (not so much on full-time rigs like an 80) - but, they contain a metal ring that can break when something happens, as it did when I busted the passenger birf on Golden Spike in Moab a few years ago :rolleyes: (after having run the same trail at least 6 times without a problem; keep in mind, this is a 4.5 out of 6 rated trail for 4-wheeling, and exhausting on rig and driver) - Marlin also sells a rubber wiper gasket where OEM is felt - some on MUD feel it's an improvement; Kurt carries that Marlin rubber gasket, too - I do not have experience with it, just sayin'

Last edited:
Thinks Claudia the parts should be here this Friday. I did not talk to Kurt but the person that I did talk to was very helpful. Thanks for the tip on getting the grease out. I must have gotten some grease on my garden hose because after I cleaned up and showered I went out to water the tomato plants and I had a blob of grease on my new shorts. I used liquid laundry detergent and oxy clean and I let it soak for a little while. I got lucky and it came out.

PS :I did order from cruiseroutfiters

yes, the other guy at cruiseroutfitters (I think his name is Brian) is also very helpful

also, a kitchen spatula works well for getting the moly out of the knuckle :hillbilly: I wouldn't put it back to cooking service afterwards, though

and, you don't need to separate the birf from the inner axle shaft - the trick is to get a needle attachment for your grease gun, point the needle into the birf at every one of the six balls and keep quirting moly in until it pushes out the old stuff (likely a mix of moly and gear oil) - old is typically slightly lighter in color, so you should be able to see when you have filled it up with the darker new moly - go around twice or so - you can do this by clamping the birf into an anvil, helps to have a person hold and rotate the inner shaft while you hold the needle and squirt

looks like a nice birf :cheers:

Simply because no one has touched this thread in months...
Installed aluminum ARB rack over the weekend
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408317035.671505.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

finally, a pic of the new machine :cheers:

you can't make me go there :flipoff2:

Ugh, what didnt I do to the Kreweser today?

Found out the alternator was completely gone on the GX and to replace that means you're literarlly looking at the timing belts. So I ended up replacing the alternator, water pump, tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler bearings, timing belt,spark plugs, accessory belt. Because I had to have the radiator out, it got a good cleaning too.

So there she sets now, 2 days of labor down the drain but 100k miles more worth of service life. I dont know if its a fair trade off yet.

With new real estate of roof rack decided to move the hand tools I keep in back up there, along with spare CV and tie rods
Picked up a middle of the road 42" rifle case with some descent locks on it and I'll put some bolts going through the rack in to the case. Frees up a lot of room inside the vehicle.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410137454.410302.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410137482.725879.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom