What is needed to replace f with 2f in '72 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've scoured threads here and on Pirate and can't determine the answer to the following question in absolute:

Will a (pre 1979) 2F replace an F engine in a 1972 fj40 without modifying the 3 speed transmission?

Does it share the same transmission bolt patterns, engine mount location. I am aware of the differences relating to the location of accessories, etc.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done this and what is involved.:wrench:

Thanks!

Yes, bolt the 3 speed bel housing onto the 2F block, install the three finger clutch onto the crank and you’re set.

Hey I am doing exactly the same thing! For me I am at the point that I have something screwed up with the motor mounts used, the engine is in and mounted bt but something is screwed up because I dont have the clutch slave cly holes on the drivers side. I also moved from the three speed clutch to the four so as you know it a different arm and pivot bolt right. Any chace I could see a couple of photos showing your 2f mounts? Thx. j

85BA7A1E-1973-4DDD-A757-5105FBE85D42.jpeg

31AC204E-C861-45DA-B87A-2F6B5C78F28A.jpeg

EB359013-63F8-4818-8C96-36F64C5E4016.jpeg

C723A2AE-0D25-4F90-A8BF-BE5A75DD5F30.jpeg

the clutch works on either side you may have to extend the line .you can move the arm to the other side by mounting the pivot ball .the hole should already be there for it

You MUST separate the 3 speed from 4 speed components, especially the pivot bolt! Stash the parts away that you don't want to use. Also, check the clutch disc orientation, and write "engine" on one side and "transmission" on the other in magic marker. Do this well in advance of assembly time!

I seem to recall having to drill the motor mount bracket holes out for larger bolts.

The 2F manifold studs & bolts are larger. You can run a 1/2” bit through the bolted together intake/exhaust to open them up, or I’ve heard that Spector has stepped studs.

@JaffyTruck :

The stock location for the 4 speed slave cylinder is on the passenger side.

It moved to that side in the 1975 model year.
Prior to that, it was still on the driver side, even with the H42 in the USA.

:beer:

in 1974 i got 2 74 wrecks that were 3 speeds and both had diafram clutches and cast forks .thats when i had the chevy fly wheels drilled and tapped to fit the toyota clutch made the v8 conversion real simple 'maybey i have done to many but the f to 2f is a bolt in operation using stock toyota parts its hard to give a step by step depending on what 2 f parts you keep .i always used all the f parts on the 2f making it simple and easy .i usually keep the 2 f waterpump and fan along with the charging system a simple upgrade .nuff said

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom