What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (78 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Put the 40 on skates last weekend. Bought some vehicle dollys from Harbor Freight during a sale they had. I think these may be the best things under $100 I've bought for this project yet and I'm kicking myself for not getting a set sooner. If you're like me and working in a 2 car garage that 1 bay needs to be parked in when you're done working, these are great. I can now roll and spin the 40 all around the garage, easily getting to all sides, and when I'm done, push it against the wall so the :princess: can pull her car in.
IMG_4014.JPG

Last night I ordered the Saginaw power steering frame mount kit from @4x4labs. Once that arrives and I get it tacked in place I can finally start working on the front spring outboard and Dana 60 swap. :smokin:

And...

Mounted new brake booster (city racer dual master), and both clutch and brake masters (fj80 brake master)

Installed some new oem reflectors.

Cleaned and painted ashtray, glovebox and instrument cluster bezel. This is a SEM rattle can oem color...it's close but not exact. It's also old from when I had another previous 40.

And also refreshed the tank straps. Lucky that the cushions were in good and reusable condition.

And ladder bar got primed and painted.

Is that a gasket I See between booster and master? If so did it come with booster or did you make it? I need to order a new booster from city racer also. Tried to use my old drum brake booster with disk brake master and won't work. Push rod sticks out way to far.

Put the 40 on skates last weekend. Bought some vehicle dollys from Harbor Freight during a sale they had. I think these may be the best things under $100 I've bought for this project yet and I'm kicking myself for not getting a set sooner. If you're like me and working in a 2 car garage that 1 bay needs to be parked in when you're done working, these are great. I can now roll and spin the 40 all around the garage, easily getting to all sides, and when I'm done, push it against the wall so the :princess: can pull her car in.
View attachment 1500423
I ordered some from O'Reilly's and may be picking them up this afternoon. First use will be under the front OME springs on my '86 FJ60 project vehicle. The rear axle has been installed, and has wheels and tires. With the front of the vehicle on dollies I'll be able to winch it up to the top of my driveway, where it's flat, with my '76 FJ40. That'll get it ready to install the 3FE more safely without having to lift the engine as high as otherwise.

Is that a gasket I See between booster and master? If so did it come with booster or did you make it? I need to order a new booster from city racer also. Tried to use my old drum brake booster with disk brake master and won't work. Push rod sticks out way to far.
I made my own gasket for my ongoing project using rubberized paper sheet gasket material from NAPA. Easy to work with.

Yes is a gasket. Ordered OEM from toyota. I made a rubber one out of that bathtub liner material for b/w the booster and firewall. Likely not needed, but I'm anal...

We have a joke amongst the locals here that parts sold at my shop often end up return and being resold, sometimes more than once, as owners go through the modification processes. One of these is @fjl40. The PO of his truck was my very first retail customer at the shop in May1990. John bought the '73 FJ40 from him in 92 or '93.

Not too long afterwards I ended up building John a very respectable 2F engine and installing an H41 transmission, among other things. Well John has since gone over to the dark side, and is now finishing up a ramjet conversion. @DSB345 bought his re-rebuilt cylinder head, and I just bought back a valve cover I sold him close to 20 years ago.

When John showed up yesterday to deliver the valve cover, he brought some other pieces from the old engine, including one I needed...for myself! Yup, it happens. I had accidentally sold off my 4speed inspection cover, probably during the timeframe in 2001 when I swapped in the current engine.

So today, even though it looked just like any other day, was the day my clutch got covered again for the first time in 17 years!View attachment 1499270
Is that thing important? I found one here on mud- still sitting in the box.

17 yrs w/o one makes it seem superfluous. Do I even need to put it on?

Drove it. Seemed like the appropriate thing to do. One year anniversary today of the warehouse fire. And almost 32 years in the addiction.

IMG_1534.JPG

Picked up the next project. Bouught this one last year and finally got around to picking it up. It's an all original 12 of 78 build "high altitude" one owner. I thought he was the second owner but he explained he bought it new in Jan of 80. My plans are a full nut and bolts resto, but for now I'm going to get it running. Polish up the patina, and enjoy it for a bit before putting it under the knife.

Was a long day at over 13 hours driving time.
Just arrived home.
20170722_205905.jpg

Picked it up in wallowa oregon.
20170722_143209.jpg

Spent the week removing improperly applied epoxy primer that delaminated in my rear wheel wells when I added roll bar gussets. When they say you have to scuff cured DTM epoxy primer before applying additional coats, they really mean it!:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

IMG_2212.JPG

Finally built up some motivation to tackle the disc brake conversion on the rear.

Drained the chocolate milk...so much for the PO saying the rear was serviced when I bought it.

IMG_9649.JPG

Confirmed he did have a Lock Right installed and everything in good order.
IMG_9654.JPG

Cursed a bunch trying to figure out how to remove the c-clips and remove the guts of the locker.

IMG_9674.JPG

Got all of the old drum brake backing plates off to find the passenger side bearings were completely seized from what looks like rust.
IMG_9703.JPG

Which then led me to worry about the condition of the bearing surface on the axle. Short side is in horrid condition. :bang: Not sure how to tackle at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_9704.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom