What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (96 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drove in and out of the 29th Annual Rubithon via Cadillac. Absolutely elated about the performance of 5.3L/4L60E combo versus the 5.7L/700R4. A few 'maiden voyage' glitches, but nothing a few minutes of tweaking didn't fix. The engine is the big difference, and I highly recommend it for any "fence sitters" debating the issue. :clap:

picked up a set of these:

IMG_1007.JPG

8.25r16 just about the perfect size for stock fendered truck.

I didn't get them here but if you want some now is your chance:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-25R16XZL-8Ply-New-Michelin-Tires-Military-Surplus-/252967029776?epid=0&hash=item3ae6028c10:g:QjIAAOSwxu5ZLtu2&_trkparms=pageci%3A29c9b0c3-6b32-11e7-9fd8-74dbd18082e3%7Cparentrq%3A5254f27715d0aa1301fac955ffe347fe%7Ciid%3A1

And had a custom skinny set of these made up:

IMG_1010.JPG

Fortunately I have a very good relationship with the local tire guys and they let me come into the shop and torture them with this project.

IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1077.JPG

And once we have them all installed I gave a ride to the tire princess in my trailer
IMG_1080.JPG

Great day!

We have a joke amongst the locals here that parts sold at my shop often end up return and being resold, sometimes more than once, as owners go through the modification processes. One of these is @fjl40. The PO of his truck was my very first retail customer at the shop in May1990. John bought the '73 FJ40 from him in 92 or '93.

Not too long afterwards I ended up building John a very respectable 2F engine and installing an H41 transmission, among other things. Well John has since gone over to the dark side, and is now finishing up a ramjet conversion. @DSB345 bought his re-rebuilt cylinder head, and I just bought back a valve cover I sold him close to 20 years ago.

When John showed up yesterday to deliver the valve cover, he brought some other pieces from the old engine, including one I needed...for myself! Yup, it happens. I had accidentally sold off my 4speed inspection cover, probably during the timeframe in 2001 when I swapped in the current engine.

So today, even though it looked just like any other day, was the day my clutch got covered again for the first time in 17 years!
IMG_1533.JPG

Are those rare? I have one sitting in my garage on the shelf. I have no clue where it came from been there 10+ years now haha

Trying to decide where to put my gauges.

I like them where the ashtray goes but they are a bit far. I also really like the radio blockoff plate. ill prob go with ashtray now i can always swap it over if its an issue haha. The mouting plate will be be touched up to round the corners and not sure of paint color. Either black or grey.

@Morse_FJ40 very sharp looking setup! I have the same 4 plus carrier, is that a Yeti 45?

@Morse_FJ40 very sharp looking setup! I have the same 4 plus carrier, is that a Yeti 45?

Not a 4plus, but very similar build but with spindles. Yes it's a 45, I wished I would of made the basket 2 inches deeper to fit the tundra 50. The 50 is quite a bit taller... oh well.

Not a 4plus, but very similar build but with spindles. Yes it's a 45, I wished I would of made the basket 2 inches deeper to fit the tundra 50. The 50 is quite a bit taller... oh well.

I made the tire carrier arm about 4" too tall... but I have room underneath the tire for a backup light.

Got a axle, hub and front wheel cyls. from @65swb45 (Marks Off Road) rear wheel cyls. and axle bearings from @cruiseroutfit cruiser outfitters and some stuff from the powder coater.
DSCN1141.JPG
One in the middle is from Mark, always good stuff. Hub was no different.
DSCN1137.JPG

Always like opening boxes filled with parts.
DSCN1146.JPG
Gotta show off some of the stainless lines from @Cruiser Corps , put the rotten rubber line back on it just so I can keep trash out the system.
DSCN1140.JPG
Wont be putting the rest on till it comes back from paint.

Saw this 40 parked across the street from the hotel I was staying at in Point Loma, San Diego. I waited around for the owner to come back, but no luck connecting to talk about it. I may need a 40 of my own so I stop obsessing over everyone else's I come across!
IMG_6282.JPG

IMG_6284.JPG

IMG_6287.JPG

IMG_6285.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom