What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oil change, grease everything, check fluids in steering box and differentials, replaced fan belt, and put in a new water pump. Oh and basically took a bath in black gunky stuff! Dash looks great! How do you take the old one off? I would like to make a custom cover for mine to match my old levi's covered seats or maybe leather

@Deni I like the idea of leather, would create a very classy look IMO.

Put weather stripping on my hard doors (purchased from SOR). Looks good, but now I can't close my doors without pushing really hard from the outside. Can't close them from inside the FJ40. Hoping they will compress if I keep the doors closed. Tried adjusting the door striker, but still won't close. I did the passenger side last week and kept the door closed all week, a little better but not an easy close.

I also fixed the emergency flashers and front left turn signal - now I just have to figure on how to get into the truck.

Installed the interior and more importantly the hubcaps. Now I just need to get crackin' on the hood and windshield frame.

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1166.JPG
Finally have the "jar" installed under my hood. Have been without this piece since I bought her in '13. I have reattached the original washer fluid motor at the bottom and it works! Pretty amazing but not getting any fluid out of the nozzle above windshield. So have to figure that out.

View attachment 1498195 View attachment 1498196 View attachment 1498197 Finally have the "jar" installed under my hood. Have been without this piece since I bought her in '13. I have reattached the original washer fluid motor at the bottom and it works! Pretty amazing but not getting any fluid out of the nozzle above windshield. So have to figure that out.

Got same issue with my windshield squirter... if your '78 is like my '82, it has a metal tube in the windshield frame that is probably gummed up!

Cleaned, prepped, and painted the used parts for the water pump replacement and oil cooler installation on my '76 FJ40. I still have five days to finish, including the FJ60 distributor/coil/igniter installation, before my next leg of the FJ40 Cross Country Expedition:

Oil-Cooler-and-Thermostat-Housing.jpg

I remembered at the last minute that the FJ60 lower housing has two holes (locations for the two BVSVs) that I won't be using. Luckily the local Do-It-Best hardware store had a bin of automotive drain plugs, both SAE and metric. I picked up a couple of M16X1.50 plugs and installed them with Permatex high temperature thread sealant.

I started to remove the stock upper housing on the FJ40, and I snapped one of the two bolts even though I was being extra careful. I should be able to remove the remains and salvage the housing.

Last edited:
Like that vision tons more than the plumber's a$$ ;)

I got some stuff done this weekend. More cleaning, painting, assembling parts.

New oem 40 series snorkel tank - sanded, epoxy sealed and painted!

Got some Earls Performance fittings and hose in for the pwr steering deal. Looks like I'll need to get some different fittings, maybe 2 45* angled ones. It's nice the box and pump are close...but almost too close.

Cleaned up and painted a 2F air cleaner, which was in great shape to begin with!

Cleaned and painted a couple horns and wiper motor.

Cleaned and painted carb cooling fan, pedal bucket and pedals.

And...

Mounted new brake booster (city racer dual master), and both clutch and brake masters (fj80 brake master)

Installed some new oem reflectors.

Cleaned and painted ashtray, glovebox and instrument cluster bezel. This is a SEM rattle can oem color...it's close but not exact. It's also old from when I had another previous 40.

And also refreshed the tank straps. Lucky that the cushions were in good and reusable condition.

And ladder bar got primed and painted.

Purged the rust out of my 283...the water passages were pretty clogged...
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Then found some bad news in the main bearings...

image.jpeg

So now it's time to measure the crank and see if the old V8 is salvagable. If machine work is necessary I'll probably just go to a Crate 350. If I can just replace these bearings, the 283 may live on...

Put weather stripping on my hard doors (purchased from SOR). Looks good, but now I can't close my doors without pushing really hard from the outside. Can't close them from inside the FJ40. Hoping they will compress if I keep the doors closed. Tried adjusting the door striker, but still won't close. I did the passenger side last week and kept the door closed all week, a little better but not an easy close.

I also fixed the emergency flashers and front left turn signal - now I just have to figure on how to get into the truck.

Joe

If the doors start binding well before they're closed, You might consider loosening the door hinge plates behind the A pillar for relief. That much pressure can cause the lower door skin to crack where the tracks for the window come out.

Heated leather seats going in this winterleather always lasts. Went joy riding in Simons truck. Only thing that showed us up was a buggy. 50inch tyres quad steer with L28 in it. Some amazing trails with crazy rock climbs. Compliments to Dennis on the lay out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom