What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Having driven 44 infrequently since climate change hit Las Vegas in April(?), I spent a couple of days going over everything, in anticipation of an upcoming (Sunday) 3-day trip, with my boys.

I cleaned and re-gapped plugs, adjusted the idle mixture (based on the plugs), verified the timing and valve clearances, checked and topped off all fluids, lubed all zerks, topped off the knuckles, checked tire pressures, cleaned and washed my nylons (one nylon = one pre-filter for my snorkel) and verified my air filter is still clean and looks new.

Then, I set up a backpacker tent I bought a couple of years ago and never even set up, due to L5-S1 disc deterioration.

It turns out that tent is big enough for me’an the boys and sets up in less than 5 minutes.

So, I removed my MegaMat bed from 44 and reinstalled my passenger seat.

The boys and I will be living large without having to set up my 6-person tent.

I have no pictures of any of this right now... so, here’s one, I never posted, that I took in a forest somewhere

CFB6B959-D776-4F31-8DE5-445E7D654ACE.jpeg

Let’s be serious - if you want a vehicle that doesn’t squeak and rattle like a covered wagon with square wheels, you might as well sell it now! 😜
I am realistic, besides there is a certain charm to a rattle here and there but there is also a limit.
The latches were getting quite worn so did need some tightening up.
I put new window channel molding in two or three years ago because the glass was flopping around so bad I was afraid they would break.
The channeling took care of the slop and the elimination of the rattling noise was a bonus.

Without my hearing aids my FJ40 is tight. First time I drove it with the hearing aids I thought the roof rack was coming loose, ended up being rattles inside the doors.

In summer of 1963 between my junior and senior year of high school I was working for a paint contractor and we had a job at George Air base in the high desert of southern California.

I was out in the middle of nowhere tooling along in a 62 Chevy PU enjoying the wide open spaces when all of a sudden I heard a loud boom shaking the truck and I thought the bed had fallen off.

One of those jet jockeys had buzzed the truck making me dam near piss my pants.

In summer of 1963 between my junior and senior year of high school I was working for a paint contractor and we had a job at George Air base in the high desert of southern California.

I was out in the middle of nowhere tooling along in a 62 Chevy PU enjoying the wide open spaces when all of a sudden I heard a loud boom shaking the truck and I thought the bed had fallen off.

One of those jet jockeys had buzzed the truck making me dam near piss my pants.

I remember doing geology field work in the mountains of eastern Nevada, would have been the summer of '78 or '79, and hearing this big hiss followed shortly by a huge rumble, and looking up from the mountain side to see a B-52 passing by at nearly eye level. Don't know what they were doing (I thought the whole point of the B-52 was high-altitude bombing) but it made me jump! Not was I was expecting to hear/see in the middle of nowhere.

I remember doing geology field work in the mountains of eastern Nevada, would have been the summer of '78 or '79, and hearing this big hiss followed shortly by a huge rumble, and looking up from the mountain side to see a B-52 passing by at nearly eye level. Don't know what they were doing (I thought the whole point of the B-52 was high-altitude bombing) but it made me jump! Not was I was expecting to hear/see in the middle of nowhere.
Quite a few years ago I was doing some field work in southern Utah's Escalante Desert, taking photos of roads, powerlines, fences, etc. I was kneeling down getting ready to take a photo along Egypt Road and then out of nowhere, a deafening roar from behind me. It was a lone F-111 flying very low to the ground, probably not more than a couple of hundred feet above the deck. Surprised the hell out of me.

Pulled all the slave cylinders a few days ago.

One on the left rear was leaking.

It had a rust looking glaze and the cup had score marks so I cleaned it up and the the wall looked fine so lightly honed it an put new cups in.

The other left rear cylinder looked fine but I redid it with new cups.

The fronts all looked good but I redid them too.

The right rear was the real head scratcher.

Both cylinders were dry and it was hard to get the pistons out.

I thought I was really screwed on those two but once I got them cleaned they looked good too so a light hone and new cups.

I adjusted the brakes and bled them myself with a piece of 2" schedule 40 pipe to hold the brake peddle and a lot of getting up and down.

I didn't get the peddle the way I wanted but it was getting late and I was getting tired so knocked off for the evening.

Was going to have my wife come out and help me bleed the brakes next day but some stuff came up and it wasn't until two days later that we got out to the shop to bleed the brakes.

I was kind of moping for those two day knowing the Toy was not really drive-able.

My wife and I make a good team bleeding brakes as she has helped me bleed brakes on every car we have owned in our 50 years of marriage and a couple years before although she doesn't obediently sit and had me tools and beers like she did when we were first together.

We gave the brakes a good bleeding that it pretty much flushed the system but while I had brake it still didn't have the peddle I wanted.

I sent my sweetheart back to the house thanking her for helping me and I did another round of adjustment.

My Cruiser is a 70 and is all drums so I fine tuned those puppies until I got the peddle where I wanted it.

I felt really good so went in and cleaned up and asked my wife out to dinner.

Ulterior motive was to drive the Toy.

It felt really good having it back on the road again and the brakes worked great and when I checked the drums to see it they were heating up from possible over tightening they felt cool.

Now for the important stuff... Chasing rattles.

Reworked the door handles today and hope it takes care of some of the rattling.

Right there with you. When I tore the front end down for the knuckle overhaul, I noticed one wheel cylinder cup was swollen, and the paint on that corner of the brake shoe was blistered. Nothing wet, but a clear warning shot across the bow.

So when I finished the knuckle overhaul, I opened it up. Looked just like yours. Addressed the same tried and true way. Been working for four decades...on five decade old cylinders! I’m pretty sure they’re OE because the little machine screws on the spring clips are slotted, not crosspoint.

I let the system gravity bleed, but pedal didn’t feel right. Had the missus come out, like she’s patiently done for 4 decades and pump the pedal. Better, but still ‘off’. Get out the floor jack and run adjustments on all 8. Nice and firm now.

Ready for Death Valley. And if not, there’s extra wheel cylinder cups and brake fluid on board!

Quite a few years ago I was doing some field work in southern Utah's Escalante Desert, taking photos of roads, powerlines, fences, etc. I was kneeling down getting ready to take a photo along Egypt Road and then out of nowhere, a deafening roar from behind me. It was a lone F-111 flying very low to the ground, probably not more than a couple of hundred feet above the deck. Surprised the hell out of me.
I have a few memories about jet planes.
Another one was in the early 50's when an aunt and uncle of mine owned a motel on Kellogg Ave. in Wichita Ks. not far from Boeing.
The B52's and 47's landing approach was right over the motel.
They would come in so low and slow that you could count the rivets on the plane's fuselage and see the pilots faces.
They were so big it was amazing they even flew.
I also wondered how the motel got any business with those big noisy things going over head.

Installed my second sniper kit.
I liked knowing what to expect this time.
Everything went smoothly and she is purring like a kitten now. Drove her a couple miles and no issues.
Also replaced the rear locker with stock spider gears. The locker was an auto style which made too much noise for me.

Anyways, tomorrow will be the big test day, where I'm going to get some real miles put on, and get it up to highway speeds. Always a big pucker factor on those drives... :)

Gratuitous pics...

20191116_174130.jpg
20191116_174235.jpg
20191116_174808.jpg

I am out of the loop on a lot of things so rather than make me do research could you explain the rims.
I have noticed them on a few of the rigs on this forum.
Also are those leaves or a dead animal on the right front?

The rims are beadlocks. I can air the tires down to single digit psi and not worry too much about losing a bead.

There’s definitely leaves in the rims. We had a leaf crew come this week and they managed to fill almost all of the rims with leaves...

Took her out on her maiden voyage!

She did real well. Filled up the tank, topped off the oil, discovered a valve cover leak. Will need to sort that out. Leaking in several places.
But overall for the first real test drive it was great.
Also need to do an alignment. She will go wherever I point her with no auto correction back to center.

Obligatory pics...

20191117_172958.jpg
20191117_173025.jpg
20191117_173128.jpg

Got the last of my fall painting done. Less orange peel than when I painted the tub, so I'll call it success. Seems to cut and buff okay at least.

Tons more paint work to do in the spring and summer (doors, hood, hard top, etc), but for now I'm focusing on getting the truck running and driveable. So far I've painted the bare minimum panels needed to get the truck running. I'm so dang excited to finally get to do some assembly!

IMG_20191020_171542491.jpg
IMG_20191117_002531281.jpg
IMG_20191117_002459007.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom