What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nebula paint is done. Upholstery is done. New foam all around, and I went with the @Cruiser Corps kit but (Purists avert your eyes)... in their '71 and earlier coral color. I didn't re-install the seat back-plates yet. Mine are too beat up. I'll probably look for some replacements in decent shape when I'm done bolting everything else back up. I went with the CC covers because:
  1. I read good things about the quality.
  2. I've always liked the coral seats better than the black or gray OEM options, and CC had no issues mixing and matching. The other cruiser company I called about seat covers (that sells coral covers for the older seats) were not willing to swap colors for me. I suspect they are either importing them from China in large batches or they are just a little too OEM-elite to take my money.
  3. Within the "coral" options I found (in pre-made kits), Cruiser Corps also seemed to be the least orange. They even sent me out a swatch to make sure I liked the color before purchasing.
Some might take the opportunity to argue that the original coral WAS indeed more orange. I don't know, also, I don't care. If my truck is a '74, I already broke the OEM color rules, so technically, it wouldn't matter if I did them pink at this point. I was going to say you can't get more wrong than wrong, but IMO pink really would be an additional degree of wrong.
Cruiser Corps even sold me an extra yard of the vinyl, I am recovering the pad on my Tuffy console to match the seats. You'll have to take an I.O.U. on pics of that (You can just see the unmounted pad on the floor between the seats of the last pic).

I love the contrast personally! When I got my 75 the PO had reupholstered the seats beige so I now have those in my 74 and love the color! Both front and jump seats are that color.

@gericurl

I borrowed your image for scientific reasons, thinking, hey red and green are complimentary colors. I sampled your coral seat in Photoshop to determine a Red Green Blue, and, Hue, Saturation, Value number. Then I went to Paletton - The Color Scheme Designer to find the complimentary color. As it turns out the color of your seats make a balanced pair, an approximate complimentary color, with the 40s body paint.
During my day job I am an Art Director at an ad agency, I appreciate some good color theory more than most. I'll admit I stopped at "I think these colors will look good together." Your validating work isn't doing my ego any favors. LOL.

During my day job I am an Art Director at an ad agency, I appreciate some good color theory more than most. I'll admit I stopped at "I think these colors will look good together." Your validating work isn't doing my ego any favors. LOL.

I think the Utah “arches” plate would go well with the color scheme too - although the retro black plates are pretty cool.

Windshield washer reboot... why I’d go through the aggravation?....... because it bloody well didn’t work! :hmm:

While last week cleaning, painting, and refoaming my heater blower housing, I get to thinking bout that washer fluid bottle full of liquid and decide it can’t be all that much to get it running........ 🤣
  1. Circuit tester in hand determine that pump is trash material... Thanks to @RAGINGMATT I get a functioning unit quickly delivered
  2. Remove bottle, clean it... remove rusty bracket, sand, prime, and paint... almost there
  3. All hooked up, pump works great..... now all I gotta do is attach hose and wash that windshield......... NOPE
  4. There’s a metal tube running inside the windshield... maybe it just needs air compressor clean out.... done
  5. Reattach lines.... ready to squirt........ NOPE - I’ll be damn!
  6. I’ve got plenty of tubing so why not bypass that metal crud filled tube..... took a while but I got it finally
  7. Successful squirting now available :smokin:

Windshield washer reboot... why I’d go through the aggravation?....... because it bloody well didn’t work! :hmm:

While last week cleaning, painting, and refoaming my heater blower housing, I get to thinking bout that washer fluid bottle full of liquid and decide it can’t be all that much to get it running........ 🤣
  1. Circuit tester in hand determine that pump is trash material... Thanks to @RAGINGMATT I get a functioning unit quickly delivered
  2. Remove bottle, clean it... remove rusty bracket, sand, prime, and paint... almost there
  3. All hooked up, pump works great..... now all I gotta do is attach hose and wash that windshield......... NOPE
  4. There’s a metal tube running inside the windshield... maybe it just needs air compressor clean out.... done
  5. Reattach lines.... ready to squirt........ NOPE - I’ll be damn!
  6. I’ve got plenty of tubing so why not bypass that metal crud filled tube..... took a while but I got it finally
  7. Successful squirting now available :smokin:
View attachment 1922511

View attachment 1922507
View attachment 1922510
View attachment 1922508
View attachment 1922524

I need to do that; mine have never worked.

Today I went to investigate why the 40 wasn't starting. I hadn't started a few weeks back after driving just fine two weeks prior. I figured the connector on the idle cutoff solenoid had worked its way loose again.

Open the hood, find the connector from the solenoid wire to harness is good, but the wire was broken. Based on where it broke I figured it had been rubbing on the choke cable, but it seemed too clean. No big deal, stripped the wires and put some connectors on to get things back up and running.

Try to start it again, still nothing. Open up the hood and this time looking for anything else wrong, instead of laser focusing on what I thought was the problem, and I find a much bigger issue. The aftermarket harness I have that includes power to the electronic ignition is cut in multiple places. No power was getting to the cutoff solenoid or the unified ignition. #5 and #6 spark plug wires were cut at the dizzy and at the plug covers. Vacuum advance line from the carb to the dizzy was cut. :mad:

When I found the first wire bundle broken, I figured squirrels or what not. But the spark plug wires and vacuum line are far to cleanly cut to be critters.

Not what I needed to motivate me to clean up the wiring rats nest in the engine bay. The 40 was starting and driving reliably. So insurance claim is in, time to find a shop that can handle the harness work needed to get it back to driving.

Whoa. Any security camera's around? I'd file with the police about vandalism.

I've wondered about ways to lock the hood down to deter thieves but I never considered vandals, might be a good time to come up with something.

Last edited:
Bought a new slave cylinder.

Whoa. Any security camera's around? I'd file with the police about vandalism.

I've wondered about ways to lock the hood down to deter thieves but I never considered vandals, might be a good time to come up with something.

No cameras that I know of have a view of the truck. PD report is filed (mainly to appease insurance.)

I'm trying to think of better ways to secure the hood as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom