What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (123 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Plasti-dip it white

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Plasti-Dip...JS7V6fHoPJ-33Wd8u_s6oKZRqzgUgEwBoCU38QAvD_BwE

Someone crashed their bicycle into my rear bumper and left so there was a huge scratch and chunk of paint came off. Just thought i'd see how LX looks with different colored bumpers like the LC so i gave it a quick rattle can and 2K clearcoat. Not sure how i feel about it?

5 Likes and i'll keep it like this, or i'll take it to the bodyshop and have them respray it to match the truck.

44353734351_15dc8ae983_b.jpg

Last edited:
Greased the driveshaft and u-joints. Took the push bar - damage multiplier off and then put the tow hook and anchor point back on. Definitely needed impact wrench to complete. I've been testing out 3M CR-70 that I had installed on the back windows. Definitely cut down on the cabin heat. About 30 degrees cooler every time I get in now. Also use a cheap sun shield from Walmart with Han and Chewie on it. Didn't want to use a reflective one. Reflective ones caused too much heat and can damage your windshield.

Tiger Patch, shrinks and gets harder once heat from muffler cures it. Its basically fiberglass tape, definitely use gloves when applying to keep the sticky stuff off your hands. I also cleaned off the rust before applying. Got it at AutoZone.

Thanks

IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1807.JPG
Replaced my rusty rear hatch. Needed to repaint the one I found so I had them fill the holes to completely debadge and dechrome it. Might add an old school 60 series "Toyota" badge if the size feels right. Also had the side trim painted. That bronze/gold just doesn't do it for me.

Replaced the tired, old rear ahc springs with the King KTRS-79's. The swap only took about 15min. I was expecting a couple hours. I guess the ahc spacers give just enough droop, to drop the axle where the springs needed a good tug to pull out. Super easy, didnt even get 1 beer down.

Anyway, what a difference! Before the swap, under acceleration the rear would squat and the front would rise quite a bit. It literally felt like riding in a boat taking off from a standstill. Had some vibration from the cv's being at a steep angle and the ahc would level the rear once at speed which felt like a boat planning out. All gone now with the new springs. I left the 30mm coil spacers in due to the ahc lift, bumper/ swingout spare, and drawers. The ride is really nice, and all height and comfort settings work fine. Ahc pressures are looking good, too.

Rear was 8.4 before. Forgot what front was, but here's where it's at now.

Oh! Replaced the broken antenna, too!

20180901_140530.jpg

20180901_141916.jpg

Last edited:
This week I had to reboot my LX's front passenger side axle with both inner and outer boots.
Went with OEM off course.
While I was there you know you better change that front differential seal.
cleaned and re greased the wheel bearing with Mobile 1 syn grease.
And today I went ahead and swapped out them old heater "tee"s with OEM.
Inboard Tee was fine outboard was just starting to get eaten away at the lip of one of the inlet.

Gonna get the parts ready to go the driver side also.
The boot started leaking from my trip to Ocean City MD. Every time I went in and out of the place we where staying I had to drop the AHC to fit into the garage.
Surprise the axle tulip,cage and balls where all in very very mint condition. Didn't show any sign of wear or anything for being the original axle.
Well it seem to be the original. It definitely OEM.

2004 LX470 with 110396 miles

Since I last reported, I
  • fixed the water drip-drip-drip that would land on my wife's feet when she was riding with me (i.e., fixed seal around air filter container),
  • added Thule J-hooks to my factory roof rack to carry my kayak, and
  • got and installed a Trail Tailor mount for a ham radio antenna (it's causing some squeaking that needs addressing).
And today I took my rig off-roading for the first time in Southern California (my first time and its first time, most likely). I wheeled for a few hours at Rohwer Flats outside Santa Clarita with some real cool folks from Trail Crew 4x4. I'm relatively new to trail wheeling, so I felt I took a conservative approach to the day. But I wanted to be sure my rig could do anything that the Heep in our group could do. Mission accomplished!

The trails were a mix of rock, talus, and dirt. Ruts and steep ascents were the (apparent)challenge. In 4-low, with my center lock and ATRAC, I felt like my job was easy. My rig did all the work. It made me wonder what's possible with 33"s, sliders, and a better rear bumper.

My receiver hitch creates a poor departure angle on my stock rig, so I think I banged up my connector outlet a bit, and maybe put a scratch or two on my rear bumper.

Replaced the tired, old rear ahc springs with the King KTRS-79's. The swap only took about 15min. I was expecting a couple hours. I guess the ahc spacers give just enough droop, to drop the axle where the springs needed a good tug to pull out. Super easy, didnt even get 1 beer down.

Anyway, what a difference! Before the swap, under acceleration the rear would squat and the front would rise quite a bit. It literally felt like riding in a boat taking off from a standstill. Had some vibration from the cv's being at a steep angle and the ahc would level the rear once at speed which felt like a boat planning out. All gone now with the new springs. I left the 30mm coil spacers in due to the ahc lift, bumper/ swingout spare, and drawers. The ride is really nice, and all height and comfort settings work fine. Ahc pressures are looking good, too.

Rear was 8.4 before. Forgot what front was, but here's where it's at now.

Oh! Replaced the broken antenna, too!

View attachment 1779808

View attachment 1779811
Those recessed roof rack lights are sweet.

I'm assuming like all you accessories - you custom made it?

Painted and installed my new custom bumper. We had it powder coated but it wasn't close enough to the original color that @reevesci did so I got the correct paint. Now I just have to hook up all the lights and winch. Going to get the correct connectors and wire it so it works off of the OEM controls.

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2450.jpg

IMG_2451.jpg

Changed out the serpentine belt, idler pulleys, AHC fluid flush, new spark plugs, and mounted my fire extinguisher.

Plugs didn't look too bad, but cylinder number #4 showed signs of blowby around the ceramic. I could hear a mild ticking noise when it was under load backing up the driveway, after swapping the plugs, it's gone now. The rubber boot didn't look too bad, but it'll be getting replaced when I get back in country again.

Serpentine belt and pulley's still seemed to be in good condition so I'm keeping them as spares.

I'm pretty sure the AHC fluid has never been changed. I bought 4 qts of Toyota AHC Fluid and I flushed a little over a half gallon out of the system until it ran a nice clear pink.

After seeing a few discussions and after all of the wiring I've been doing installing my 8" sub and amp bypass, it felt like the right thing to do. Mounted it in the rear cargo area where it'll be easy to reach in and grab it if I have it full of gear.

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_8394.JPG

IMG_8397.JPG

Changed out the serpentine belt, idler pulleys, AHC fluid flush, new spark plugs, and mounted my fire extinguisher.

Plugs didn't look too bad, but cylinder number #4 showed signs of blowby around the ceramic. I could hear a mild ticking noise when it was under load backing up the driveway, after swapping the plugs, it's gone now. The rubber boot didn't look too bad, but it'll be getting replaced when I get back in country again.

Serpentine belt and pulley's still seemed to be in good condition so I'm keeping them as spares.

I'm pretty sure the AHC fluid has never been changed. I bought 4 qts of Toyota AHC Fluid and I flushed a little over a half gallon out of the system until it ran a nice clear pink.

After seeing a few discussions and after all of the wiring I've been doing installing my 8" sub and amp bypass, it felt like the right thing to do. Mounted it in the rear cargo area where it'll be easy to reach in and grab it if I have it full of gear.

View attachment 1781660

View attachment 1781661

View attachment 1781662

View attachment 1781663
What fire extinguisher mounting bracket is that, and where can I get one? Looks good!

What fire extinguisher mounting bracket is that, and where can I get one? Looks good!

It is a Drake Extinguisher mount. I'm still anxiously waiting @NLXTACY to start selling the seat mount brackets for the 100's like he has for the 80's. I'd like to have another one at an easy reach when its needed. So, until then, this is what I've got.

Took a 1300 mile road trip, all over Eastern Sierras and Nevada. Even with 250k on the clock the Landcruiser continues to impress me. Did have a check engine light come on, everything was working fine. It disappeared after fueling up with 91 octane, middle of Nevada only has 87 :hillbilly:

hills1.jpeg

Road Trip.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom