What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crossed the Mojave desert in 3 days :)
This 100 series thing is a tank!!!!

lol thought you were gonna get hung up on your belly...btw, you've got a crack in your manifold, that ticking sounds like a sewing machine.

lol thought you were gonna get hung up on your belly...btw, you've got a crack in your manifold, that ticking sounds like a sewing machine.

Yea just touched the cross member :)

I know the manifold is leaking, i was told it doesnt affect the performance and people fix it just because the noise bothers them, it doesnt bother me ,,,

Yea just touched the cross member :)

I know the manifold is leaking, i was told it doesnt affect the performance and people fix it just because the noise bothers them, it doesnt bother me ,,,

Mine is cracked too, i get a tick, but when it warms up the crack closes and you don't hear it. i plan on doing a tour across america in my LC next year, if you've kept a log, please make a thread of cool places you've been, i want to check out some of those. My main stop is black bear pass in CO.

Repacked wheel bearings & greased spindle bearings.
Wasn't done for a long time, no visible wear on bearings.

Used a scale to measure preload, adjusted the nut until preload was between 42 - 67 N (as per FSM).
Fish scale.jpeg

Greased the needle bearings with a "DIY spindle greaser" (PVC tube, end cap and some insulation tape):
DIY spindle grease tool.jpeg

On the left axle (right OK) the groove is a lot wider than it should, is this normal wear for a 400.000 KM / 250.000 Miles Cruiser?
Wide groove.jpeg

This is the groove with the snap ring installed (left/drivers side):
Pulled shaft with m8 bolt, snap ring installed, wide groove.jpeg

As you can see, way too wide. FSM states a maximum of 0.2mm / 0.0008 in of clearance.
For now I added a (non Toyota) snap ring to reduce the clearance.

Last edited:
Went through the car wash with the antenna up...and got to replace the mast. Took all of 5 min with the info on this forum, glad to see I'm not the only person with bad car wash judgement:)

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

Those look shorter than stock. I'd be interested in length from bottom of lower bolt to bottom of stabilizer bar?

i would believe they are in fact shorter. I had to jack the thing up by the lower control arm, remove wheel and use a pry bar to coax the sway bar down enough to get a couple threads with the nut. Then I was able to finish install and torque top nut to 18 ft lbs and the lower to 38 ft lbs.

Made an attic rack using Inter Metro 18" X 48" shelf from The Container Store, as others on Mud have done. Mounted the shelf to the grab rails with 2 hose clamps per side and it is rock solid and perfectly level with the ceiling. Took $30 in parts and about 20 minutes of my time and I'm in love. This is a pretty sweet substrate to hang things from and so I added a 18"x24"x8" basket ($40) suspended by bunjee cord that fits perfectly over the cooler.

Shelf_1.jpg
Shelf_4.jpg

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals.

Xmas Wreath.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is cracked too, i get a tick, but when it warms up the crack closes and you don't hear it. i plan on doing a tour across america in my LC next year, if you've kept a log, please make a thread of cool places you've been, i want to check out some of those. My main stop is black bear pass in CO.

I will do a complete writeup, but many told me black bear pass is closing this year for good! Too many people dying every year ... too bad i couldnt make it

I will do a complete writeup, but many told me black bear pass is closing this year for good! Too many people dying every year ... too bad i couldnt make it

I don't see them closing Black Bear. They've talked about it for years, but never seriously. But, deaths are fairly rare (last one was 2015 and was 100% driver error). I'd rather take my chances on Black Bear than ANY paved road.

This is the groove with the snap ring installed (left/drivers side):
View attachment 1585830

As you can see, way too wide. FSM states a maximum of 0.2mm / 0.0008 in of clearance.
For now I added a (non Toyota) snap ring to reduce the clearance.
That last picture with a rusty looking snap ring on the axle, looks bad. Not just the wide gap, but even more import may be the taper edge of axle outer groove that retains the snap ring. @Trunk Monkey once made mention of filling it square so that one gets a nice sharp 90 degree. Without that good sharp square 90 degree groove snap ring can pop off. But in your case you may not be able to find a snap ring thick enough once filed. The axle brass bushing in back side, may also be so worn the gap has widen to much. Check-out Snowy (in my signature) starting around post #194

New OEM drive shaft are so nice.
This is what new OEM front drive shaft along with new hub flange, cone washers and snap ring looks like.

I don't see them closing Black Bear. They've talked about it for years, but never seriously. But, deaths are fairly rare (last one was 2015 and was 100% driver error). I'd rather take my chances on Black Bear than ANY paved road.

Thats what i was told, and i cant go now anyhow as it is snowing there ,,, but many other exciting destinations are ahead of me anyways :)

Added a psa sticker to my Hundy.

IMG_3048.JPG

Removed my second swing out to allow for easier access to the back.... looks a little weird. Will take some getting used to.

85549E72-446B-41FF-9499-C7CDB9A2DFB5.jpeg

My swing out stays in the basement until wheeling time. Like sitting on the tailgate too much.

Removed my second swing out to allow for easier access to the back.... looks a little weird. Will take some getting used to.

View attachment 1586284

You ever thought about painting the top part of the light a clear red to make it look like an OEM 06-07 LC? I had the same lights you have now but i painted it with a clear red, just gotta tape around it and give it 3 coats. Then get a clear bulb and your turn signals will now be blinking red, and move the reverse light down. I forget where they are located now but all those bulbs are interchangeable in each socket so you can move them around.

36848107394_4c470ad71a_h.jpg

38665300141_42dc0d2010_h.jpg

I doubt that, they wanted to close that road for years but it never happened. I'd be very sad if it did, i've been wanting to go there for a year.

Blackstone Labs transmission oil report of a '00 LC A343F tranny after being flushed 6 times. High iron, low viscosity, and steel wear don't sound too hot but I'm not experiencing any negative symptoms and it shifts smooth as butter right now even while towing(knock on wood), plus it has fresh fluid so I'm hoping that will help slow the wear and keep it operating smoothly. It was due for it after 53k. Lesson learned: submerging the tranny will damage it over time...

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 1.22.29 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom