What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (20 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I install a Kenwood DDX9702s “Android audio” head unit but sincerely I’m not that impressed (I confess I’m clueless so maybe I’m doing something wrong)

The whole “mirroring” is kind of useless since it captures the resolution on the phone (iPhone fiveS) so the image is kind of grainy and so far I have not figure out a way to change the “scope” of the view (for example I will like to see a more general map when using WASE but for the most part still very “block by block”

I confess I’m spoil because I have been using my 12.2” galaxy pro tablet and WASE shows vivid, sharp and fast to react (like when you take a wrong turn) plus I can make it of any scale I want just like a Ipad by sliding my fingers..

Will see maybe is a “me Bad” problem, but do far is kind of a gimmick

Oh I’m trying to figure out a way to implement Steering controls in hopes of making the unit more useful, but so far not much luck

I had communication issue with my unit as well. I checked the latest firmware on the web and then saw that the unit installed was not running on the latest firmware. I went back to the installers and they updated the firmware (could have done it myslef but it is still under warrantee) - problem solved and the graphics is also better now. The shops buy stock and don't always make sure they have the firmware updated when they sell and install one.

Olive can you please share the info that you got from the forum on replacement of the shaft?
Sure thing, although I don't remember exactly what the search was but it is so easy it won't matter.
1. undo the top nut on the antenna
2. have someone turn the ignition to the "on" position
3. turn the radio "on" this will raise the antenna
4. catch the antenna when it comes out
5. put the new mast in teeth forward until it bottoms out in the hole
6. have said friend turn the ignition to the "off" position. This will draw the antenna back into place.
7. put the nut back on.
*** Beer may or may not affect the time this takes***

Blackstone Labs transmission oil report of a '00 LC A343F tranny after being flushed 6 times. High iron, low viscosity, and steel wear don't sound too hot but I'm not experiencing any negative symptoms and it shifts smooth as butter right now even while towing(knock on wood), plus it has fresh fluid so I'm hoping that will help slow the wear and keep it operating smoothly. It was due for it after 53k. Lesson learned: submerging the tranny will damage it over time...

View attachment 1586512

I recently did a drain & fill 4qts Toyota WS cycled through. I collected a sample to send off to blackstone. It will be interesting to compare the values. Ive got about 25k on the fluid with some moderate towing, 184k on the odo.

My swing out stays in the basement until wheeling time. Like sitting on the tailgate too much.

That's my plan as well for a rear bumper as well. Just need the swingout so I can access the spare on the trail. Other than that, don't need the added complexity of the swingout.

I had communication issue with my unit as well. I checked the latest firmware on the web and then saw that the unit installed was not running on the latest firmware. I went back to the installers and they updated the firmware (could have done it myslef but it is still under warrantee) - problem solved and the graphics is also better now. The shops buy stock and don't always make sure they have the firmware updated when they sell and install one.
Gracias

I had no clue, now I know

Now to look for the sourse for the update, I hope I can use my laptop and the HDMI cable

Thanks

That's my plan as well for a rear bumper as well. Just need the swingout so I can access the spare on the trail. Other than that, don't need the added complexity of the swingout.

Man that would be a pain to do before every trip!

Removed my second swing out to allow for easier access to the back.... looks a little weird. Will take some getting used to.

View attachment 1586284

So stoked to find your rig on here! I was driving home from Eldo and saw your truck parked. Pulled an abrupt U-turn just to come check it out. Keep it up and if you ever need a buddy to go wheeling with, hit me up!

I only make 3-4 major trips per year usually for 1-1.5 weeks at a time. If I lived in an area that had more areas to explore i.e. Colorado, Utah, Arizona, etc. I'd be less inclined to remove the swingout. But, I'm in Austin, TX. Every single piece of land for 500 miles in any direction is privately owned and so, my LX spends 90+% of it's life as a daily driver. I still haven't decided on my rear bumper (BIOR, Slee, Dissent and ARB are the leading candidates). My opinion on removing the swingout might change once I install it.....after all, I am a "convenience enthusiast"

It takes 15 minutes or less from start to finish to install and/or deinstall. I have a tool kit built with correct tools and it is very quick. I could cut off a few minutes if I did not have to carry the swing arm to my basement. Super easy.

Sitting on the tailgate is one of the main reasons I own a Land Cruiser. ;<)

It takes 15 minutes or less from start to finish to install and/or deinstall. I have a tool kit built with correct tools and it is very quick. I could cut off a few minutes if I did not have to carry the swing arm to my basement. Super easy.

Sitting on the tailgate is one of the main reasons I own a Land Cruiser. ;<)

We are cut from the same cloth. The tailgate functionality is the bestest part of a cruiser!

If the G Wag (yes, I said G Wagon), 4Runner, and GX's had actual tailgates like the LC there would be some different conversations going on. Just saying. I was even thinking of starting a tailgate conversion company. Tahoe's could use them as well.

The tailgate is mandatory for myself, my 2 daughters, and my wife.

If the G Wag (yes, I said G Wagon), 4Runner, and GX's had actual tailgates like the LC there would be some different conversations going on. Just saying. I was even thinking of starting a tailgate conversion company. Tahoe's could use them as well.

The tailgate is mandatory for myself, my 2 daughters, and my wife.

Exactly. We looked at GX470s before going the LX route. The deal breaker on the GX for me was the swing-gate. Since it swung out to the starboard side, it made unloading things curbside difficult (wife is an artist and we routinely haul 48-60" canvases around to different galleries) and there was nowhere to sit and chill after mountain biking or hiking. LOVE the fact I can sit on the LX tailgate and the hatch provides cover from the sun or inclement weather.

I still haven't decided on my rear bumper (BIOR, Slee, Dissent and ARB are the leading candidates). My opinion on removing the swingout might change once I install it.....after all, I am a "convenience enthusiast"

Dissent would be my 1st choice- so many well thought out design elements, especially the latch design and very well made.

Changed the fuel filter today, easy 5 minute job. Just need a 10mm, a 14mm box wrench and a 19 box wrench. Tip, open the gas cap to relieve the pressure, and then undo the connectors. I spilled maybe a shot glass worth of fuel. 200K miles, original filter, i'm going to pour water into the old fuel filter and soak it over night then cut it open tomorrow and see what's it like inside. Don't want to cut it open now, spark will ignite something.

Sure thing, although I don't remember exactly what the search was but it is so easy it won't matter.
1. undo the top nut on the antenna
2. have someone turn the ignition to the "on" position
3. turn the radio "on" this will raise the antenna
4. catch the antenna when it comes out
5. put the new mast in teeth forward until it bottoms out in the hole
6. have said friend turn the ignition to the "off" position. This will draw the antenna back into place.
7. put the nut back on.
*** Beer may or may not affect the time this takes***
Thanks Olive.

Gracias

I had no clue, now I know

Now to look for the sourse for the update, I hope I can use my laptop and the HDMI cable

Thanks
I see the last firmware update for your unit was in 2015 Firmware Updates | Car Electronics | Kenwood
So I'm not sure if this is your problem. Perhaps re-install the firmware and see if you still have the problem. If the unit is under warrantee, I suggest you go back to where you had it installed so that they can do it.

Changed the fuel filter today, easy 5 minute job. Just need a 10mm, a 14mm box wrench and a 19 box wrench. Tip, open the gas cap to relieve the pressure, and then undo the connectors. I spilled maybe a shot glass worth of fuel. 200K miles, original filter, i'm going to pour water into the old fuel filter and soak it over night then cut it open tomorrow and see what's it like inside. Don't want to cut it open now, spark will ignite something.

I just left my old filter outside, open (no capped openings for a couple of days and then I cut it open with a hacksaw at the joint and pulled the entire paper media out. It was very gritty. If you use the hacksaw, don’t think you will create sparks. Filter housing is soft enough to be a easy cut.

Thanks for the good info @2001LC .

So it was you in all those useful YouTube videos.

I'll see what I can do about the shaft, there is a lot of play on my flanges so I'll replace these.
I'll possibly replace the worn (DS) driveshaft too. Passenger side still looks good.

Finally decided to tackle the rear sub replacement, i used a $15 amazon sub and it sounds amazing compared to the rattling old one.

37476602304_7bff731429_b.jpg

Also decided to do the spare tire mod, where you raise up the carrier arm an inch to tuck the spare tire underneath. You can't see my spare now unless you bend down, it's hidden away. The 4 bolts holding the carrier were a pain to remove, rusted and seized and you really have no angle to work them out with a breakerbar.

26410396449_dd71138ee7_b.jpg

38186909881_6440a1bcc0_b.jpg

Sorry to just jump in - you replaced the sub in the factory enclosure?
Single sub?
Are you still using factory amp?
I like the license plate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom