What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (23 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got all three of these guys working!

1642081893462.png

I did my cleanest oil change ever and only used two paper towels for the whole thing :clap:

1642086463477.png

Next up is the 200's oil change and I know I'll need a whole roll of paper towels for that one... The 200 really makes me appreciate the simplicity of the 100.

I did my cleanest oil change ever and only used two paper towels for the whole thing :clap:

View attachment 2892281

Next up is the 200's oil change and I know I'll need a whole roll of paper towels for that one... The 200 really makes me appreciate the simplicity of the 100.
On your 200 did you make the switch to the metal oil filter housing? I just ordered a metal version, not arrived yet.

On your 200 did you make the switch to the metal oil filter housing? I just ordered a metal version, not arrived yet.
Still using the plastic housing. I am contemplating doing the spin on filter conversion.

The video shows a vehicle with a cartridge-type paper filter being convert to a spin-on type.

I'm old enough to remember converting 283 Chevy Purolator P141 paper cartridge filters to use the more modern spinons sometime around 1969.

Here we go again.

1642087031718.png

Added a 10.1" Android head unit to replace the aging pioneer unit. Also added backup camera (inside upper rear hatch). Backup camera, cell phone integration, Bluetooth connectivity, navigation and Android apps make the experience so much better!

20220112_204619.jpg
20220112_205027.jpg

The final pieces to the puzzle turned up on a Friday of all days, so I dare say this weekend I'll be fitting this 80 spare tire carrier that I found dumped in the forest. I lifted the stock mount up 60mm to clear a 35" spare and relocated bolt holes from 6 to 5 stud, tacked a reinforcment plate over the rusted sections, I'm a carpenter not a welder 🤣

MVIMG_20220114_154914.jpg

Changed lights from worn out and cracked Hellas to Lightforce HDX2's

Also rewired the old switching for the light bar as it was anything but safe...

Then I went on to fit a new fairlead as the Warn one that came with the winch two years ago was corroded beyond recognition...
Let's hope the powder coated version is better, otherwise I'll send it in for Cerakote.

Also fell for the temptation and ordered the Redarc BCDC12225D, SBI212 and relay for the winch. Received the Gentex mirror with outside temp sensor.
It's like christmas for the car at the moment!

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0738.JPG

Last edited:
In order to get this fixed:
Thanks to anyone who posted. Dug into this over xmas break. Flanges, c-clip and splines were just fine. Drained the diff oil and found:

View attachment 2886481

Pulled the cv's out and then the diff to find broken ring:

View attachment 2886476

And broken main(?) pinion:

View attachment 2886477

Working on options but seem to be running into some supply chain shortages... Who knew?? ;);)

Cheers!
rjones

I decided to pull the pin and get it all done! All the children tightly tucked in heading to gearing school:

All_Geared_Up.JPG

Differentials to the diff shop and then Transfer Case to Valley Hybrids for the regear low. I got to meet George (@orangefj45 - he was great) and Roark and he even pulled the transfer case apart to give me tour of its innards while I was there. They had so many old Cruisers there it was mind blowing... I'm sure they're numb to it but I was in awe! Snapped a pic with permission:

Land_Cruiser_Heaven.JPG

Cheers!

rjones

Last edited:
Early bird at Discount Tire got the tires road force balanced, steering wheel has been a little shaky at 80+mph.
1744804D-DF96-4CD6-8A0A-DAFB3B58FE60.jpeg

Didn’t know they charge $0 for rebalancing if you got the tires from them (win!) :cheers:

First jab at alignment yesterday, steering is off-centered to the left and is tracking a little to the right (have to constantly turn to the left to keep it straight) but definitely better than how it was on our recent road trip. They will be guaranteeing the work and has scheduled for a re-alignment on 1/17.
Showed them this:
ABB75A3C-1184-4584-A751-5BB32F36CEE3.jpeg

Yes I have to admit I geeked out a little bit on this.

Last edited:
Early bird at Discount Tire got the tires road force balanced, steering wheel has been a little shaky at 80+mph. View attachment 2894143
Didn’t know they charge $0 for rebalancing if you got the tires from them (win!) :cheers:

First jab at alignment yesterday, steering is off-centered to the left and is tracking a little to the right (have to constantly turn to the left to keep it straight) but definitely better than how it was on our recent road trip. They will be guaranteeing the work and has scheduled for a re-alignment on 1/17.
Showed them this:
View attachment 2894153
Yes I have to admit I geeked out a little bit on this.
I've been fighting this for a couple month. Had to replace the VGRS system and I'm still off center from time to time. Some times its left and some times its right.

In order to get this fixed:

I decided to pull the pin and get it all done! All the children tightly tucked in heading to gearing school:

View attachment 2894009

Differentials to the diff shop and then Transfer Case to Valley Hybrids for the regear low. I got to meet George (@orangefj45 - he was great) and Roark and he even pulled the transfer case apart to give me tour of its innards while I was there. They had so many old Cruisers there it was mind blowing... I'm sure they're numb to it but I was in awe! Snapped a pic with permission:

View attachment 2894021

Cheers!

rjones
Thanks for coming by and for bringing your Tcase to us for the rehear!
No, I don’t get numb to all the cool rigs we get to work on. Love my job!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Wouldn't recommend doing this to a cruiser in good condition, this one has had really bad rear end damage with pretty bad panel work and paint, I've found rust in the roof, so I was happy to cut and weld wherever was necessary.

Fossil fuel cars will be banned before we know it, so I'm not stressing over minor details, just enjoying using the vehicle.

I know there are HDJ101 tail gates to suit these swing out carriers, but they're too expensive if you can find them at all. With some spacers in the right spots you can make it work with the regular 100 series gates

IMG_20220116_120039.jpg

MVIMG_20220116_120214.jpg

Last edited:
I've been fighting this for a couple month. Had to replace the VGRS system and I'm still off center from time to time. Some times its left and some times its right.
I really hope it’s not the vgrs. Have you serviced your front end suspension already (upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, steering rack bushings, upper and lower arm bushings)?

I was planning to do these with the radiator in a week or two, but it was starting to seep a bit so no more stalling. Thankfully I had the parts sitting at the house ready to go.

NewTsBench.JPG

Someone was obviously in here at some point "fixing" the leak. For whatever reason they decided to add even more junctions and used worm drive clamps.

OldTs.JPG

Took me about an hour, I put a garden kneeler on the core support and kneeled on that. It worked pretty well and I was able to reach all the clamps with long reach hose clamp pliers.

NewTsInstalled.JPG

Topped off and bled with Toyota Red, it was definitely down a bit.

CoolantBleed.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom