What have you been doing with your Toyota? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

07779059-E6A2-41D5-84F7-C7C2707A75D9.jpeg
92121EE3-68CC-4DA3-99A4-292FF23784CA.jpeg
Had error 1 on CD player this weekend. Removed it and opened unit and cleaned laser head with a Q-tip and reinstalled. Radio works great now.

Last edited:
getting safe for Desert and Sand Dune night runs!

Mounted my hi lift on my bull bar. I like this better then the roof rack. Worst idea ever? @JohnnyOshow22 seems to think so. Has that mad max appeal :skull:

321E4D40-81FA-493C-AAA6-37AB493EEE86.jpeg

i thought you were going for the mad max vibe. also probably makes it even harder to see over the nose of the fj cresting hills

i thought you were going for the mad max vibe. also probably makes it even harder to see over the nose of the fj cresting hills
I didn't know people could see out of FJ's in the first place! :popcorn:

Noticed my front passenger wheel bearings where slightly loose the other day when swapping tires. Opened it up, gave my trail gear spindle nut maybe an 8th of a turn and all the play went away.
View attachment 1624982

Locking tab that keys into the spindle and then bolts to the nut to keep the nut from going anywhere. This is very similar to the OEM designed spindle nuts on the rear axle.
View attachment 1624983

Also while I was in there I replaced the allen head bolts the spindle nut comes with, with some smaller button head ones. There have been reports on that on some 80's the drive flange can rub on the tops of the original allen heads. The size that fixes this issue is M3-.5 x 10. Easy fix and now all 4 corners are tight which is good since I have a long road trip coming up.
View attachment 1624985

New button head bolts are even with the end of the spindle. Perfect, easy fix and now all 4 corners are tight which is good since I have a long road trip coming up.
View attachment 1624988

Also noticed the pinstriping from rocks on my rear driveshaft. Close to being taken out more than once for sure. This is why I keep a spare rear driveshaft with me lol
View attachment 1624987

What system is that you have on the front wheel bearings? Is that on a 80?

Yep, my dive shaft looks the same. No idea when i did it.

What system is that you have on the front wheel bearings? Is that on a 80?

Yep, my dive shaft looks the same. No idea when i did it.
Yes is on an 80. That is the trail gear spindle nut. One single thick nut replaces the two oem nuts then instead of the flimsy star washer there is the lock ring that keys into the spindle. Then two little bolts keep the lock ring connected to the nut. Keeps the nut from spinning. It is a similar design to the rear axle spindle nut just not quite as large. Never have to worry about star washer failure again and in the field and don't have a star washer you aren't screwed because everything is reuseable!

Chromoly Spindle Nut Kit (Toyota) - Trail Gear

TG chromoly spindle nut: pics and a story.

I did quite a lot with my 80 this weekend. Over 1900 miles to be exact and what a drive it was. Started off Friday in Bozeman. Loaded up and drove 635 miles to my fiance's house in Loveland Colorado. Took about 9 hours. Saturday we got up and left her place at 4:30. 310 miles later we had crossed the Colorado Rockies, driven some spectacular roads

FB_IMG_1519142853066.jpg

and had to made it to our destination, the tiny Town of Cedaredge. The reason was to get the newest addition to our little family, Eko!

IMG_20180217_145008.jpg

She is an Alaskan Malamute/Australian Shepherd mix who is going to drive her big brother Rocky, who is a great Pyrenees husky mix, insane!
MVIMG_20180218_133218.jpg

Rocky is a wheeling veteran and comes on all of our trips. He has even wheeled the whole rubicon with us and is famous for mauling Onur haha I'm hoping she does as well in the 80 offroad as he does.

We then drove back a different route to Genwood springs Colorado so that I didn't have to deal with the ice shelf road again (while amazing we still have 5 hours to go that day). On this alternate route we accidentally found Profits Cruiser headquarters.

IMG_20180217_105717.jpg

Yes that is one of the extremely rare Mega Cruisers! I turned around and went back to go get the picture lol they are apparently located in Austin CO which is just south of Cedaredge. The ride back to Pollys house was slow as anyone would expect with a new puppy but we made it happen. On Sunday we we're able to relax all day and then go meet with a fellow Cruiser head and friend at one of our favorite breweries in Fort Collins. We talked cruisers for hours and had a great time. Best of all though we were able to take Eko because they're a very dog friendly place.

MVIMG_20180218_165129.jpg

On Monday said goodbye, turned the cruiser north and made the 635 mile drive back to Bozeman through the blizzards happening throughout all of Wyoming. It was a white knuckle ride for sure but the 80 did all of it like a champ!

4 days, 3 of driving, 1 layover and 1900+ miles. I'd say my cruiser needs a break!

Last edited:
Nice country, my daughter lives a few miles east of cedaredge. look at the size of that pups feet

Nice country, my daughter lives a few miles east of cedaredge. look at the size of that pups feet
Only 9 weeks old! She's gunna be big

I’m just jealous. Pulling behind does seem like a better idea then strapping to the roof but ah well I’m committed. I’m not that top heavy
You would say that wouldn't you:rofl:

Sa
How do you like these brake pads?
Sadly I haven't installed any of that yet. Waiting on $$$ to do thorough job. Need to order calipers all around, brake lines, and a rear axle rebuild kit. Also waiting on warmer weather

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom