What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (83 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I brought home my first 80 this weekend, courtesy of MUD’s own @Qball. The truck needs some work, but the 2 hr drive home was smooth, comfortable and relatively quiet. I am excited to dig in and keep this rig in good shape. Happy to see it in my driveway, for starters.

3FE4D80B-32DE-48CD-98E2-5A78D43C0CC5.jpeg

I brought home my first 80 this weekend, courtesy of MUD’s own @Qball. The truck needs some work, but the 2 hr drive home was smooth, comfortable and relatively quiet. I am excited to dig in and keep this rig in good shape. Happy to see it in my driveway, for starters.

View attachment 2563947
Saw his for sale ad. You got a good one, congrats!

View attachment 2563947
Congrats!

I chuckle at the folks on this forum......

"I drove it two hours home, but it needs some work."
How many other brands and types can do that?
Even when in poor service, not maintained, or some things are broken, these can still find their way home.

Mine had not been maintained hardly at all and had been abused by the PO. I still took it for a 25 mile drive when it started out 150 ft from my house.

Congrats!

Even when in poor service, not maintained, or some things are broken, these can still find their way home.

Mine had not been maintained hardly at all and had been abused by the PO. I still took it for a 25 mile drive when it started out 150 ft from my house.
These will go further with more things "broken" simultaneously than nearly anything else.

The engine runs very efficiently. It fires right up, it stops well, the suspension is very dialed. It has great road manners.

I need to remove the VC and rebuild the knuckles/ replace front axle.

Oil pump seal needs to be replaced.

Besides that the rig is a beast and drives incredibly well.

Big shout to @Qball for also including a plethora of parts with the sale including a new @Delta VS rear panhard bracket, replacement oem birfs, tons of oem hardware and most of a knuckle rebuild kit. This guy took great care of the truck and I'm looking forward to treating it just as well.

Right...either using the CDL, or the VC is welded together. :eek:
But wouldn't the drive flange have to be slopping around everywhere for the splines to make contact with the inside of the spindle? I don't see how that would be possible without snapping the studs for the drive flange.

Congrats!

1991 Honda CRX :flipoff2:

Wait these switches are why my interior lights are so dim? why?

The switch completes the circuit for the lights, so if it's worn out, the high resistance contact means less power to lights.

In my case, one door was causing the lights to be about 20% brightness. No cleaning or fiddlin would help it. Now, I can open one of the other doors, light looks bright, then if I open the new switch door, it goes brighter still. Each door is slightly different.

If anyone is interested I am documenting the entire process of my 1993 FZJ80 engine rebuild, frame restoration, and painting my body. Going to be a TON of videos, mostly of me being an idiot and not knowing what I am doing. Would LOVE for you to subscribe mostly to let me know when I am an idiot and say something wrong or forget an important part. Thanks!

The engine runs very efficiently. It fires right up, it stops well, the suspension is very dialed. It has great road manners.

I need to remove the VC and rebuild the knuckles/ replace front axle.

Oil pump seal needs to be replaced.

Besides that the rig is a beast and drives incredibly well.

Big shout to @Qball for also including a plethora of parts with the sale including a new @Delta VS rear panhard bracket, replacement oem birfs, tons of oem hardware and most of a knuckle rebuild kit. This guy took great care of the truck and I'm looking forward to treating it just as well.
Where in Nor Cal ?

Congrats!

I put 250 on mine first day. I tried that with an 87 Chevrolet pickup after I bought it and a front wheel came off 🤣

Congrats!

I bought mine...it needed things. Immediately drove it from Miami to Ohio in the middle of the winter. The PHH s*** the bed as soon as I got home. 😳

Wait a minute, how do you even wear all the splines off the birf like that? How does that happen? Did the truck drive?
When I bought the truck it was not running but I should have expected something was up since the snap ring and dust cap was sitting in the center console. Since repairing the engine and getting it running it will drive with the center diff locked, without that the passenger axle would just spin in the drive flange sending all power to that one wheel. With the diff locked it would actually put power to the rear and the vehicle could be driven. As to how it happened and stripped the axle and drive flange so bad I have no idea. I already had replacement parts on the way before I started the rebuild but they won't get here till today, were supposed to be here on Saturday.

When I bought the truck it was not running but I should have expected something was up since the snap ring and dust cap was sitting in the center console. Since repairing the engine and getting it running it will drive with the center diff locked, without that the passenger axle would just spin in the drive flange sending all power to that one wheel. With the diff locked it would actually put power to the rear and the vehicle could be driven. As to how it happened and stripped the axle and drive flange so bad I have no idea. I already had replacement parts on the way before I started the rebuild but they won't get here till today, were supposed to be here on Saturday.
Good luck with the repair, man. At least you know about it and can tackle it head on.

If anyone is interested I am documenting the entire process of my 1993 FZJ80 engine rebuild, frame restoration, and painting my body. Going to be a TON of videos, mostly of me being an idiot and not knowing what I am doing. Would LOVE for you to subscribe mostly to let me know when I am an idiot and say something wrong or forget an important part. Thanks!

Cool video. I've subscribed so I can keep up with your progress. Word of caution, that stand looks too small for the job. Be careful..

Found the limits of my daughter's open diff 3FE. A line 2 feet to the right would have taken us right up. But, that kind of wasn't the point.
33" AT3 tires: $980. OME medium lift: Free (salvaged), Redneck motif: Priceless.
20210123_134209.jpg

More pictures, video of the approach and recovery: 10 mile and little moab - https://photos.app.goo.gl/KT827AbuHKZpL5Rt7

Unless you ordered a new spindle, when you tear it down pay close attention to the inner spindle bushing. With that much slop at the far end of the Birfield, it wouldn't surprise me if the spindle bushing is toast as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom