What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (82 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FINALLY got my 92 from sketchy to safe. Ordered the 555 Tie Rod ends from @cruiseroutfit and finally have solid steering! The old ball joint of the pitman arm was scary. Cleaned them up and painted them with some heavy rattle can so the don't rust right away. So far since buying this heavily neglected 3fe FJ80 I have re-sealed the rear axle, new drums, shoes, hardware kit, and wheel cylinders. New LSPV, and flushed the brakes.

Window latch on rear sliders, and new marker light lens, window switch on drivers door and replaced missing plate on passengers door. New lift struts on the rear tailgate, and new bulbs in various lights. Replaced the EFI Relay and did an oil change. Also swapped out the old beat down pro-comp wheels for a set of Bridgstones on FK Ethos Orc-909 wheels.

Next up is a new steering stabilizer and re-seal on the front axle inner but I'm planning to just do both sides.
IMG_5483.JPG

Did they fit on the ARB without any modifying of the tab ? Debating upgrading if so and using the Lp6's on my wife's truck....
They do not fit bolted directly to the tab without tilting them way forward. I fabbed some brackets that bolt to the tab and move the mounting point over and forward of the cross bar. LP6 would be a direct fit.

Im testing out the rear cone bumps up front, it turns out they are exactly 1" taller than the stock units.
Here is a pic before test drive with just vehicle weight on them.
And yes I will be rounding off, trimming off that edge lip that's sticking out... so no need to make comments about it.
Screenshot_20200118-193613.png

Here is after test drive articulated & dropping off a 2 foot ledge a couple times. Its not much different is it?
Screenshot_20200118-191333.png

Now, I am thinking about moving a set of rear cone bumps out to the rear frame bumps. :hmm:
I forgot to measure the crushed height of them so I will need to do that.
Now this is a guess, but they look to be 4.5" which is approx the same as 2" ext bumps.
Who knows??? Stay tuned...
20200118_161334.jpg

Im looking for 2 sets of OEM rear bumpstop cones. If you have any PM me back thanks...​

This weekend I did some great mall crawling. In the Costco parking lot, a man asked me for a jump while I was loading groceries. He said I "looked the most prepared." I jumped him using a portable jump battery and he was on his way in a jiffy.

I had a unique experience this weekend. I went wheeling with 2 other diesel 80s. We had fun, wheeling on trails with snow covering ice.

My rig on 315s looks so small next to the other 80s on 37s. Even the FJ Cruiser had full 35" Trepadors! But, in the end, I was the only one that didn't get stuck at all.
OSz18PNh.jpg

TbMHbjqh.jpg

Here are a few videos, since you can't see how slick it was in photos.

Longer (6 minute) video of a VX Sahara climbing with limited slips front and rear... winching required

2 more short clips

Cool! Where was this?

I love the comment in the last clip where he says “that wasn’t very exciting “ as you made it through with no wheelspin :). Lockers make it so much easier on the truck. No need to pound it to make it through obstacles.

Cool! Where was this?

I love the comment in the last clip where he says “that wasn’t very exciting “ as you made it through with no wheelspin :). Lockers make it so much easier on the truck. No need to pound it to make it through obstacles.

You mean lockers and my amazing driving skill! Haha. We were up near Antrim NH and then Henniker.

This guy parked next to me at Smith Rock - someone from the forum?? New Hampshire plates, 95-97 locked with swingout on stock rear bumper. Enjoy your visit to Oregon!

1579537012676.png

Before we got to go for a fun family hike I had to replace the high pressure power steering hose. At some point it (before my ownership) it was replaced however they didn't secure it correctly in the bracket, instead the bracket was zip tied into place. As you can imagine this didn't work in the long run - the U part of the hose sat too low and rubbed against the bottom engine cover and wore a pinhole, spraying fluid everywhere. I never noticed this before since its usually pretty dirty in that area, also its usually covered by the bottom cover.

1579537260385.png

1579537358060.png

1579537404003.png

So it all started 10 days ago I got a phone call on the line my young G. I. Son "Daddy do you love me?" Yes, what do you need?

Look, I am 7 hours waiting in the hospital for head CAT scans and the food here sucks, I am OK, can you bring some food?

Me - WTF what happened ?? - He was on foot patrol on our side of the border fence and got hit in the head by sling stone from the Palestinian side.

aa2.jpeg

This weekend I decided to visit him, he went back to his unit and was stationed on an outpost in the Palestinian territory, Israel is a very intense place you drive 20 miles and you go from the New Jersey type of environment to Fallujah Iraq.
I bought all the unit McRoyal Berger and french fries and the big Mc Donalds ice cream. It's good the LC is big enough to hold so many MC D meals.

27e0549c-8b54-4ad4-a01e-30da728a409b.jpg

aa5.jpeg

When I arrived to the place I waited for my son come back from foot patrol

aa4.jpg

Yes, there are woman fighters in the IDF

aa1.jpg

Props to your son for taking one on the noggin. Stone age weaponry will still do some damage. I have a client who's son recently finished up his stint with the Israeli army.

Hopefully he was wearing his brain bucket when he got hit with the rock. If not, it will reinforce the importance of doing so.
He was without a helmet it was on our side of the fence if he was with a helmet nothing would happen

He was very proud of himself, he is a medic so he treated himself and he put the field dressing that was removed only by the doctor in the E. R. That ask him who did the excellent filed treatment

He was without a helmet it was on our side of the fence if he was with a helmet nothing would happen

He was very proud of himself, he is a medic so he treated himself and he put the field dressing that was removed only by the doctor in the E. R. That ask him who did the excellent filed treatment

Stitches are like a badge of honor and a future conversation topic. How many did he get from his encounter with the rock? Glad to see it was only surface damage and he is OK!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom