What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (72 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went to Bee Canyon Truck Trail in Idyllwild with a good friend for some light off-roading.

anNPCzsJTga9jHJrIpHWaA.jpg

Wait, you can still buy those? How much?

Yep, not too pricey either.

Cluster lense: 83134-60100
Cluster trim: 55411-60110

These were a bit more. My driver belt is frayed and was going to send it off to safety restore but then discovered these were available still so, ya know, for safety:
4B6A1847-6AE3-43E0-AEE5-51609B72F4AB.jpeg

These were a bit more. My driver belt is frayed and was going to send it off to safety restore but then discovered these were available still so, ya know, for safety:
View attachment 2189402
Yeah, that's not bad at all, thanks! Even those belts are reasonable.

Changed the oil... Mobil 1 5W30, oil filter... Mobil 1.... air filter.... Purolator... old one looked clean, but figured just good preventative maintenance... lubricated the driveline

Removed the stock factory roof rack.

Removed the end caps from the front bumper.

Next up will be diagnosing why my front passenger seat only moves one of the worm gears for the seat track.

View attachment 2189402

Are those seat belt parts a simple swap out for pass and driver? Belt is frayed and doesn’t wind back up with alacrity.

Tried to do the Delta Systems rear pan-hard correction in my garage on the floor but couldn't get everything to line up. Went to Desert Toy Shop to have this and a few other things done. I asked them to look into front end thumps. They found a loose shock nut and motor mounts that got tweaked in the accident 7 years ago!

Even smoother now and 4 of 5 thump/groan/rattles are gone!

Also Fourrunner heavy, new battery cables installed, starter and multiple grounds. Cleaned up my battery posts, still working on adding buses for accessories.

Also took another pass at the floppy mirror. Tried to use the Wit's End solution, but previous attempts had weakened the metal on the post so it just came apart. Ended up using a 3/16" (aka #10) 4" bolt with a toggle anchor. Snipped the ends off the toggle for clearance. And the toggle gave me room to run the wires through the original post. Filed and sanded the ends of the post, also added heat shrink to the threads below the toggle to mitigate abrasion.

Shaky mirror: bottom screw sleeve had broken. Using JB Weld "Water" stick as it adheres to plastic better than others. Had a bamboo skewer piece in the thread slot for 10 minutes, the removed it carefully and threaded the screw in and out a few times to make threads in the JB Weld. Let it cure over night and installed.

So far so good but only 50 miles on it with the mirror changes.

20200113_124300.jpg

20200113_124304.jpg

20200119_113852.jpg

20200119_113921.jpg

20200119_113945.jpg

awesome..still debating to upgrade mine..,..still trying to find excuse to take the plunge
My rig is pretty built and I will say that it is one of the best mods I have done. I didn’t realize how bad my 4” lifted 80 drove until after I installed mine. Blew me away. I realized how much I had gotten used to a darty, poor ride.

Last two weekends* spent under the truck.
  • gave away the last bit of holiday birf soup and replaced all seals, gaskets, hardware, bearings and races for the front end.
  • replaced the starter with a 2KW Denso
  • repaired badly corroded (green copper powder) Neutral Safety Switch Connector
  • made new nitrile inner fender guards
  • replaced master cylinder,
  • replaced all brake hoses (stainless frame to axle and OEM axle to caliper)
  • replaced all pads, rotors and rebuilt the calipers
  • full brake fluid flush
  • replaced steering stabilizer with new OME one
  • then, to celebrate, I replaced the steering shaft to firewall seal (sat in my parts bin for 3 years)
This weekend, I am thinking about removing the rear 3rd to install the Aussie locker sitting in the bin. I already bought all 4 sizes of thrust washers, OEM 3rd member gasket and rear axle gaskets and seals. No excuses!

*Full disclosure: I spent weeknights prepping and cleaning parts. also some wrenching

Are those seat belt parts a simple swap out for pass and driver? Belt is frayed and doesn’t wind back up with alacrity.

Won’t be installing them until the engine rebuild is wrapped up in a few weeks and I strip the interior. I’m assuming it just requires removing the trim and unbolting the old hardware to replace with the new.

I’ll have the whole interior gutted for floor sound dampening, new carpet, and a bunch of new trim so that should make swapping the belts even easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom