What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (56 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The STT Pros had horrible wear characteristics on my truck. I had alignment checked a few times, played with different tire pressures but they were horrible. They were well balanced, and shocks were in good condition. Won't ever buy those tires again. They're a good looking tire but the wear characteristics make them incredibly loud and rough long before you would normally replace them. Then if you try to sell them, you can't get a decent price because of how they have worn. Waste of money IMO.

I've had my Toyo MT's for more miles than I did the STT Pro and the wear has been very even without any change to alignment, tire pressure habits etc. Confirmed to me that the STT Pro just doesn't wear well.

Box Rocket, I agree with everything you said. My ST Pro's have 20k on them and they are shot. Noisy to the point I can't have a conversation driving down the road, cupped at ~5k miles and feel like I'm driving on ripple strips at low speed. I tried everything you mentioned and nothing worked. The sad part is 50% of the miles were off road / dirt road. I loved them when new but the excitement wore off quick once they cupped. I even used the chalk method to get the pressure correct. I am currently running them at 42 psi. My next set will be Nitto Trail Grappler MT.

Today’s work.

Goof off
Sticker remover in the drill
Steam iron for clothes.

The old Land Cruiser sign came off pretty easily considering what I’ve read. I guess the cold helped to keep the glue brittle. I highly recommend using the steam to remove the stickers and small 4wheel drive decal. It took seconds. I used the beige/brown Sticker remover that can be purchased on Amazon to remove the remaining glue adhesive.
I used goof off And a paint auto body prep spray cleaner to remove the remaining Glue.

I’m still using the 3M trizact system.

To start the land cruiser emblem, I used a very small screwdriver at the top of the old emblem to Pry it from the panel and spray goof off in behind it. This seemed to help me to get to a point where I was able to use a small prybar running east to west to remove the rest of the emblem. I think if I had just started with the steam it would’ve been much easier and less scratches caused by a pry bar.

11CCDAF7-65D1-4264-9C1D-0D5B834E0F51.jpeg
C6AA7180-36AB-4866-8546-B576E09C8806.jpeg
B070BF2E-404C-4B42-90CA-4D71702B70F9.jpeg
79FC2948-041A-446F-8CBE-E110D3CE5F61.jpeg
D28561E4-ED03-46B6-93B6-8751FAD5853C.jpeg

Fabricobbling a carling switch panel for under the dash.

7ED53F80-3501-481E-A975-AADA0AD3515D.jpeg
F2C322E4-E53C-4CEC-B780-BF264205095E.jpeg
5009F18D-DD94-4D17-A3C5-BCFB956E659D.jpeg
834EF8DC-D369-43B4-9DE7-0A30DD3349E5.jpeg

I'm ruminating on the best location for a backup camera, I already have wiring in the lower gate but the location of the swing out 35" tire blocks the easy spot up by the license plate. Two candidates circled. The license plate is easier in terms of routing but doesn't see the passenger corner, which is crucial for safe reversing. The bumper itself is a little tougher to get to, but has a clean line of sight.

Thinking about using the convenient bumper hole behind the NWTI logo if I can find a simple bracket to work:

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

I'm ruminating on the best location for a backup camera, I already have wiring in the lower gate but the location of the swing out 35" tire blocks the easy spot up by the license plate. Two candidates circled. The license plate is easier in terms of routing but doesn't see the passenger corner, which is crucial for safe reversing. The bumper itself is a little tougher to get to, but has a clean line of sight.

Thinking about using the convenient bumper hole behind the NWTI logo if I can find a simple bracket to work:

View attachment 2148458

View attachment 2148459
Why not put it put it on the swing out? I simple bracket could be made to hang it there even with the angle. Here’s how I mounted mine to keep it more centered.
2AB06716-FC37-42F1-9D16-B835475F1C25.png

I like your install, but on my truck the tire hangs down below the plane of the swing out and projects fairly far back as it’s a 315— eyeballing it, the camera would be blocked if it’s anywhere below the license plate or to the right. I could put the camera on a projection rearward from the swing arm which would be 6-8” long to give it clear view? I guess that’s why I’m leaning toward the lower bumper mount. What do you think about a fairly flush bracket in the lower circled location?

new pic from the shed at work. I installed the 50mm slinky stage 1 suspension kit and swapped my arb winch bar for the slee shortbus a little while ago now. @AutoCraft Aus came through for me with this, on a friday arvo he overnighted a part from Geelong, Vic to a rural area in the northernmost part of the greater Sydney basin in NSW so I could finish it and get to work on the Monday. legend, thank you pal. Some postie bloke came running down the driveway with it the next afternoon lol. so I still have box of a all new oem bushes to go in and need to decide what route to go with for castor correction and then I'll be getting the proper differences between the old suspension and the new slinky kit. also got to polish the paint, touch up a couple of spots and stick the new flare seals in, and then buy a winch.

as far as the slinky kit goes I'm really happy so far. actually the suspension flexes so much further now, it tore apart the old rubber suspension bushes when I stretched it out the first time. and the new brakes and swivel hub rebuild since the last pic too. The Terrain tamer slotted/drilled discs are SOOOO much better than the standard ones. I also fitted the glass depo headlights and the depo corner lights. I was very happy to see that these depo lights have the proper pattern on them for the RHD cruisers.

Still looking at different aussie fabricators for sliders. so far I haven't found the look I want. I know they mostly all do the same job but if i'm doing it i'd like to be 100% happy with it.
BDAx18F.jpg

*edit. Not that I need any of this, it's amazing how quickly other parts of your life get in the way of actually enjoying the cruiser in places that require sliders. there's not many rocks to slide over in the bunnings car park....

Last edited:
I replaced my 3fe intake tubes this weekend... I am glad I did. seems the rubber was breaking down and starting vacuum leaks. it runs better. also I think the tubes were becoming more egg shaped rather than cylindrical. I feel like that could cause it to run like crap. I recommend replacing those tubes if yours are old. I purchased the parts from toyotapartsdeal and they are genuine toyota parts which I am happy with.

308 or lapua?
definitely not 308 shoulder angle is pretty steep to be 308 hard to tell in picture but looks like 6.5 creedmoor , scope looks same like one i have M5xi 3-15x50 and bullet looks to be hornady hard to tell in picture may be hornady ELD

Looks beefy...don't see these on his website. Must be a secret menu item... :hmm:
I think he did a preliminary run of a handful of links. Actually just got off the phone with him and he's looking at maybe doing another run based on the feedback from those that picked up a set.

definitely not 308 shoulder angle is pretty steep to be 308 hard to tell in picture but looks like 6.5 creedmoor , scope looks same like one i have M5xi 3-15x50 and bullet looks to be hornady hard to tell in picture may be hornady ELD
Forgot about the 6.5 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom