What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (115 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Made some valve caps  way too much fun

20190421_135658.jpg
20190421_145211.jpg
20190421_142719.jpg

Found a bunch of cracks around my steering box so I removed it and plated the frame. Also tightened a loose wheel bearing and replaced all the TRE’s. Check your frame for cracks! Installed a bowfin cruisers roof rack too.
View attachment 1958686View attachment 1958692View attachment 1958693View attachment 1958694
I wonder if the cracking frame and panhard bracket is more common on certain years. I have wheeled my rig really hard and put a lot of off-road miles on my 91 with 35's and I have no cracks on mine. I was kind of surprised when I checked mine and it was all intact. I even got into a head on collision with a Dodge 2500 and both of our front drivers wheels hit each other really hard. It bent the axle and broke the steering on the Dodge lol. But it didn't hurt the old toyota

This is what I did when I went all in on my 80 being a 2 seater. I found some on Amazon. First set they shipped they had forgot to thread.

Competition Harness Eye Bolt size:7/16 Set Of 4pcs for race HARNESS RACING SEAT BELTS Amazon product ASIN B01A6U3W9O

When I removed my rear belts I just cut the belt from the mounting tab on the floor and bolted the tab back up on the pillar, same idea now I have an oem tie down.
15558919732531043714461890599181.jpg

c
When I removed my rear belts I just cut the belt from the mounting tab on the floor and bolted the tab back up on the pillar, same idea now I have an oem tie down.View attachment 1958723
That's kinda one way. He won't be able to go back to a seat belt since it's been cut up.

H
This is what I did when I went all in on my 80 being a 2 seater. I found some on Amazon. First set they shipped they had forgot to thread.

Competition Harness Eye Bolt size:7/16 Set Of 4pcs for race HARNESS RACING SEAT BELTS Amazon product ASIN B01A6U3W9O

How do you like them? I removed the third row seats in my FJ80 including the seatbelts and I’m intrigued by these as a more functional use of that screw

I wonder if the cracking frame and panhard bracket is more common on certain years. I have wheeled my rig really hard and put a lot of off-road miles on my 91 with 35's and I have no cracks on mine. I was kind of surprised when I checked mine and it was all intact. I even got into a head on collision with a Dodge 2500 and both of our front drivers wheels hit each other really hard. It bent the axle and broke the steering on the Dodge lol. But it didn't hurt the old toyota
Mine is a 92 but it’s also RHD, that puts more stress on the area because the panhard connects in the same area.

How do you like them? I removed the third row seats in my FJ80 including the seatbelts and I’m intrigued by these as a more functional use of that screw
Fire extinguisher mount

IMG_20190313_080723.jpg

Mine is a 92 but it’s also RHD, that puts more stress on the area because the panhard connects in the same area.
Steering box and panhard mount are paired regardless of which side drive your rig is. LHD rigs have the steering box mount and panhard mount on the left side. RHD rigs have the steering box mount and panhard mount on the right side.

Found a bunch of cracks around my steering box so I removed it and plated the frame. Also tightened a loose wheel bearing and replaced all the TRE’s. Check your frame for cracks! Installed a bowfin cruisers roof rack too.
View attachment 1958686View attachment 1958692View attachment 1958693View attachment 1958694
I went after a wheel bearing on mine and found my panhard bar bracket under the steering box was cracked. Ended up spending the afternoon welding it together!

I haven't done overhead stick welding for 35 years......and it shows......

Still didn't get to the wheel bearing.

Don;t judge me on my welding......I don't weld for a living, but I frequently inspect those that do, so I know just how crappy it really is!

Last edited:
What mount is that? I have the same fire extinguisher.

Thanks,

Zona
Its the one I sell on my etsy page

$50 and 6 weeks later, I received my dual voltage monitor from SolidKit Australia. Will be nice to keep track of volts while camping instead of breaking out my voltmeter all the time.

View attachment 1957345
IF THERES A NEXT TIME CHECK OUTSTEDILIGHTS.COM THEY SHIP IN DAYS

Wow that's a ridiculously clean engine! I have a lot of work to get there... did you disassemble it piece by piece and clean/paint as you went?
we cannot live where we do, AND have an engine bay that clean trust me Ive tried.

I’m doing a lot of mods right now but yesterday afternoon got new elocker actuators installed anyone know the part number on those delightful little 10mm mounting bolts for rear I rounded one a bit and would like to replace and cannot find part no.
DC5B4ECE-B54A-4956-A4C6-36889B6DB3BF.jpeg
2B668A0C-8913-40BC-A441-9CE6E3F61753.jpeg
F715C82F-ED2E-48B3-A033-2B5F6B392CBA.jpeg
5A2629DE-4AC0-4D73-9220-F9268C4D9800.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom