What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (157 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Agree with @Heckraiser only I think it is a series 2

What gives it away? I’m far.... far away from being an expert on anything, but it sure has me stumped! If I ever see the guy outside I’ll ask, but I’ve been watching it for a few years now, and other than moving a few feet every week..... nothing, as far as activity on it goes....... hmmmnnnn

This is the panhard bracket next to the steering box, (LHD). Problematic with big tires.
Thanks . I'll have to check mine running 35 Nitto Muds .

What gives it away? I’m far.... far away from being an expert on anything, but it sure has me stumped! If I ever see the guy outside I’ll ask, but I’ve been watching it for a few years now, and other than moving a few feet every week..... nothing, as far as activity on it goes....... hmmmnnnn

Because it’s a Land Rover. That’s as far as it can go before breaking down.

Decided to repaint the grill and clean up the front of the truck, including getting a bolt that I snapped a couple of weeks ago out. My headlights internal adjust gears are shot, but I got them out and had a chance to clean up the inner body on the front clip. Need to get some parts together to replace some rusty hose fittings I found. Hoping the grill change comes together. I will post pics when I am done.

P1000739.JPG

P1000740.JPG

P1000741.JPG

Trying to fight my way through some jetlag so decided to fit the dash grab bar I recently got from @landcruiserjunky. I used the excellent write up from @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr especially his measurements. I will button it all up tomorrow.
IMG_20180316_200206.jpg

Also decided to clean out the blower fan while I was in there. Quite disappointed to only find a few pine needles :frown:. Sometimes my cruiser smells like a farm and given I have replaced the carpet, cleaned the evaporator and headliner it is hard to figure out where else it could be coming from.

Installed a factory snorkel!

20180316_155708.jpg
20180316_155716.jpg

If my kid just holding it there counts as installed...

And it's a 70 series one but should work with some massaging unless I stumble across a proper 80 series one.

Trying to fight my way through some jetlag so decided to fit the dash grab bar I recently got from @landcruiserjunky. I used the excellent write up from @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr especially his measurements. I will button it all up tomorrow.View attachment 1655614

Also decided to clean out the blower fan while I was in there. Quite disappointed to only find a few pine needles :frown:. Sometimes my cruiser smells like a farm and given I have replaced the carpet, cleaned the evaporator and headliner it is hard to figure out where else it could be coming from.

I need one of these handles.

Try using soap when you wash your butt.

Trying to fight my way through some jetlag so decided to fit the dash grab bar I recently got from @landcruiserjunky. I used the excellent write up from @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr especially his measurements. I will button it all up tomorrow.View attachment 1655614

I love the grab bar..... another mod on my never ending “to do” list!
Cough......cough......cough..... have you ever thought about washing yourself? “If you throw a turd into a limo.... it’s still a turd”...... might apply here!!! Lol

Below the headlights pieces.

I wasn't aware that it had such a thick layer of chrome on everything. I just sanded and painted. The last pieces blushed on me and the paint ran really easily. I swear paint is much runnier than it used to be. Nobody will ever see it though.

P1000763.JPG

yota grill.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
60 degrees today during the day. Leave work tonight. 1/2” of ice on the windshield. And I took out my scraper last night...

507CEEA7-C389-472B-9CE5-A37082EE7B86.jpeg

60 degrees today during the day. Leave work tonight. 1/2” of ice on the windshield. And I took out my scraper last night...

View attachment 1655742
Never skip scraper day. Mine never leaves the truck unless it's in my hand I and I am using it to either scrape the windshield or hunt down whomever agreed to 6 more weeks of winter. Today was fantastic though. I bet it was 50 degrees on my blacktop and on the roof of the LC while I tossed in the new sunroof. I had to take my sweater off. Sheesh.

Below the headlights pieces.

I wasn't aware that it had such a thick layer of chrome on everything. I just sanded and painted. The last pieces blushed on me and the paint ran really easily. I swear paint is much runnier than it used to be. Nobody will ever see it though.

View attachment 1655738

View attachment 1655745

View attachment 1655746

So, did you spray the entire grill, but are going to tape off the letters, and re-spray another color? Couldn’t you spray your main color, then just paint the letters? I’m not doubting you, you do killer work, I just want to learn the correct way! I’m sick of painting my grill over and over.... lol. Can’t wait to see it finished!

So, did you spray the entire grill, but are going to tape off the letters, and re-spray another color? Couldn’t you spray your main color, then just paint the letters? I’m not doubting you, you do killer work, I just want to learn the correct way! I’m sick of painting my grill over and over.... lol. Can’t wait to see it finished!
I was going to leave the chrome on all of the little pieces and leave the chrome on the upper lip of the grill, but I decided to cancel that plan because the chrome was rough and even after an hour under the buffing wheel, it just wasn't getting better. I think the very top layer got wrecked along with a bunch of places where it got cracked and was peeling.

On to Plan B(not that Plan B), I decided to go with the same graphite color that I used on my wheels for the grate portion of the grill, but everything that was chrome will be black now. The way the grill was made, the best bet for having a factory looking finish for the letters was to prep and prime everything and then add five coats of the gloss white that I want the letters to be in the end. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to cover the letters with tape and then cut around them so that they are covered while I spray the graphite color. Then I have to go back and peel the tape off the part that is currently chrome and then re-tape and spray that black.

What you see there is just the white paint in that area. The grey behind is the high build primer. I will have to wet sand this before I top coat so that it looks even.

Last edited:
For all the new 80 Series owners:

Find yourself someone local that knows a couple of things and hoards 80 Series parts. That way you can call them at 8pm on a Wednesday night to get what you need! (Especially when you didn’t listen when he tell you that your air intake hose is dry and brittle and is going to snap in half when you try to take it off!)

Amirite @FIVEmanTR10? Haha.

View attachment 1654309
I bought a 3”, 3”-3.35” and a peice of 15* bent 3” aluminum all bought from ebay. Of course, i only saved 20 bucks from buying the 3.25” one designed for our intake by cxracing. It looks really nice on their site.

I was going to leave the chrome on all of the little pieces and leave the chrome on the upper lip of the grill, but I decided to cancel that plan because the chrome was rough and even after an hour under the buffing wheel, it just wasn't getting better. I think the very top layer got wrecked along with a bunch of places where it got cracked and was peeling.

On to Plan B(not that Plan B), I decided to go with the same graphite color that I used on my wheels for the grate portion of the grill, but everything that was chrome will be black now. The way the grill was made, the best bet for having a factory looking finish for the letters was to prep and prime everything and then add five coats of the gloss white that I want the letters to be in the end. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to cover the letters with tape and then cut around them so that they are covered while I spray the graphite color. Then I have to go back and peel the tape off the part that is currently chrome and then re-tape and spray that black.

What you see there is just the white paint in that area. The grey behind is the high build primer. I will have to wet sand this before I top coat so that it looks even.

Amazing all the prep to prepare for paint! Doing quality work like you do is what separates the hi quality paint jobs from the “Macco” Jobs. Can’t wait to see it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom