What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (79 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not weekend, but 10 days. 3358 miles, home to Moab, wheeling for a week, and Moab back home. Ran Metal Masher, Hells Revenge, 7 Mile Rim, Rusty Nail, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, and poison spider mesa. I now understand why people think the 80 is so underpowered, but I still pulled the Eisenhower at 50mph on 40's, even at the altitude it still moves better than people give it credit for.

As impressed as I am with your trail lineup tick-list, and I'm quite impressed..... im more interested in hearing how you did 50mph on 40s on I70 through the hills. Got a turbo on that thing?

As impressed as I am with your trail lineup tick-list, and I'm quite impressed..... im more interested in hearing how you did 50mph on 40s on I70 through the hills. Got a turbo on that thing?

5.29's make a huge difference, along with the willingness to lock it in 2nd and wind it. The full Eisenhower was done in 2nd at about 4300 rpm. She never got above 204 degrees going up the pass, and has 265k miles on the clock. Most of the I70 ascent was done in 3rd with converter locked between 60 and 65mph. 2nd gear for Vail and the Ike.

5.29's make a huge difference, along with the willingness to lock it in 2nd and wind it. The full Eisenhower was done in 2nd at about 4300 rpm. She never got above 204 degrees going up the pass, and has 265k miles on the clock. Most of the I70 ascent was done in 3rd with converter locked between 60 and 65mph. 2nd gear for Vail and the Ike.

Roger that. Regearing in on the short list after upgrading to 35s.

Got delayed by a day getting her back on the road. I got to use my easy-out kit twice though, so to answer :princess: question last year if I REALLY needed them, finally YES!

New radiator Koyo A1918, blue fan clutch with 15k fluid custom set to 115° on my GE stove, new OEM belts, Aisin waterpump, All new OEM radiator hoses, PHH, that stupid little guy beside the PHH, all new heater hoses bypasding rear heater, front crank seal, oil pump seal with hex heads from PHH.com. New heater control valve, BReeze clamps on pretty puch everything.

Big shout out to NLXTACY, Beno, and Fourrunner (new sweet custom cables) for everything you provided.

A big shout out to my Son (7) for helping me get the crank bolt torqued down to 305 lb.ft. He rotated the crank until I had set thec14mm socket on the flex plate and butted it against the case.

With A/C blowing on max headed up a long hill the max I saw was 186.5°F where before I was 215 on same hill. Ambient was 84°F. Everywhere else it is rock solid between 183-185, spending 90% of the time at 185.

No more leaks! :beer:

Thanks Mud for all your combined knowledge.

20170722_091942.jpg

20170721_094907.jpg

20170721_093113.jpg

20170723_183114.jpg

20170723_183137.jpg

Those actually look really nice. Where did you pick those up from?
I got them on Craigslist. I saw them when I on vacation in Colorado. I was glad he still had them when I got back. Turns out he was only a few miles from me.

@joez Thanks for the radius arms! Gonna make my life a lot easier. It's funny, my bushings are so shot you can barely tell I have a severely bent radius arm. :eek:

After working all day Saturday, the wife and I went into the hills and discovered you can link several of our local trails to cover a lot of distance without touching pavement. She has no sense of direction, but she's been researching maps during the week.

Highlights: first time wheeling on the new 315's and they have smoothed out the ride a lot off road. After wheeling on 265's for almost 3 years, it's nice to be back to a larger tire and the clunker barely seemed to slow down at all, which has me a little baffled. Might be because I just replaced my bent up dinky little bosal y-pipe with another magnaflow at the same time I did tires. Tried out my new Puma compressor and aired from 20 to 35 in less than two minutes per tire, and made the amazing discovery that my wife's jumper cables are perfect for hooking up the Puma (unlike any other jumper cables I've seen, they have a little flat tab that looks like it was meant to hold a small wire).

20170723_141418_resized.jpg
20170723_144907_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom