What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (24 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I swapped carbs. I’ve put about 50,000 miles on this last city racer and something finally gave out. It started losing its idle and I think there’s an internal fuel leak of some sort. The idle set screw wouldn’t control the ramp and it would bog and surge at idle randomly.

I called up a buddy who had one in storage and he let me borrow it til my new replacement comes in to give to him.

It went from a surging 17-12 inches of vacuum to a solid 23 at idle. Not bad for a 331,000 mile stock bottom end motor.

It’s back to normal and running great. I couldn’t be happier to have it be back to racetractor status. I think the Fuji carb is a great and affordable option for a drop on carb for a desmog truck. I’m very Hal to with it.

3A112661-20F9-42ED-A5FB-27FDF724A5B9.png

AE3A1887-CCB0-4B98-90FF-FED0BF2527BA.png

3E923B2D-027B-4491-89A3-A0854A464245.jpeg

97CC6189-E3D3-401D-B75B-7E71740EA789.png

amazin!!! sounds like a truck!!! Can I asked...why did you choose the 1HZ over the R2.8? Any idea on aprox MPGs? Starting to get all my "ducks in a row" for a future Diesel!!!
I personally prefer the larger displacement 6 cylinders over a small 4 cylinder for a vehicle this size, though I have no doubt that the R2.8 would probably be quicker on the road. I don't mind being in the slow lane when driving a landcruiser, but I definitely wanted something with a lot of off-idle torque for when I get off the highway. (that same reasoning played a part in deciding against an LS based swap,... among other reasons)

I also like the idea of keeping it all Toyota if I can, but with WAAAYYY better parts availability than the 2F. Toyota still makes the 1HZ today for global markets (aka everywhere but the US) so it should be easy to find parts for at least the next decade.

All in, if Cummins had made a 6 cylinder R3.8 instead and actually followed through with making it CARB legal, it would have been a much more compelling option for what I want out of my cruiser. ...but then again... I'm one of the few people I know who doesn't like driving an LS landcruiser... so an "interesting" engine was always an option lol.
The Cummins R2.8 is a modern engine, which brings modern efficiency and power, but also modern complexity. The 1HZ on the other hand is pretty much as simple as it gets; everything is mechanical and all it needs to run is fuel, a starter, and an ignition "on" lead to the fuel cut solenoid.
What will be best for your situation is really dependent on what you want out of the swap; if you want a new engine that is ready to go out of the box and will be trouble free for quite a while, the R2.8 seems like a great option. But if you like building something yourself (or with good friends in my case), and like the idea of searching through parts diagrams to find obscure OEM part numbers for random engine parts to piece your project together, the 1HZ may be worth considering.

Ballpark estimates for MPG of a naturally aspirated 1HZ swapped FJ60 seem to be around 23-26. I won't know where mine ends up for a few more weeks though. Gearing and how fast you drive will play a big role as well. Mine has the stock 3.70:1 differential gears and 33.5" tires so I'm right at the edge of wanting to re-gear to 4.10:1 gears. I'm hoping the new 5 speed trans and 4:1 transfer case gears, (which have a 10% reduction in the high-range gearing), will help to offset that somewhat.

I personally prefer the larger displacement 6 cylinders over a small 4 cylinder for a vehicle this size, though I have no doubt that the R2.8 would probably be quicker on the road. I don't mind being in the slow lane when driving a landcruiser, but I definitely wanted something with a lot of off-idle torque for when I get off the highway. (that same reasoning played a part in deciding against an LS based swap,... among other reasons)

I also like the idea of keeping it all Toyota if I can, but with WAAAYYY better parts availability than the 2F. Toyota still makes the 1HZ today for global markets (aka everywhere but the US) so it should be easy to find parts for at least the next decade.

All in, if Cummins had made a 6 cylinder R3.8 instead and actually followed through with making it CARB legal, it would have been a much more compelling option for what I want out of my cruiser. ...but then again... I'm one of the few people I know who doesn't like driving an LS landcruiser... so an "interesting" engine was always an option lol.
The Cummins R2.8 is a modern engine, which brings modern efficiency and power, but also modern complexity. The 1HZ on the other hand is pretty much as simple as it gets; everything is mechanical and all it needs to run is fuel, a starter, and an ignition "on" lead to the fuel cut solenoid.
What will be best for your situation is really dependent on what you want out of the swap; if you want a new engine that is ready to go out of the box and will be trouble free for quite a while, the R2.8 seems like a great option. But if you like building something yourself (or with good friends in my case), and like the idea of searching through parts diagrams to find obscure OEM part numbers for random engine parts to piece your project together, the 1HZ may be worth considering.

Ballpark estimates for MPG of a naturally aspirated 1HZ swapped FJ60 seem to be around 23-26. I won't know where mine ends up for a few more weeks though. Gearing and how fast you drive will play a big role as well. Mine has the stock 3.70:1 differential gears and 33.5" tires so I'm right at the edge of wanting to re-gear to 4.10:1 gears. I'm hoping the new 5 speed trans and 4:1 transfer case gears, (which have a 10% reduction in the high-range gearing), will help to offset that somewhat.
This is fabulous...and i ALMOST understand all of it. :rofl: When you start talking about gearing...ya lose me. I love the idea of simple. I may be mkn an assumption but easier is often less money....the MPG seems aprox the same how aboutprice/installed?? Am I wrong to think the 1HZ would be cheaper overall?

This is fabulous...and i ALMOST understand all of it. :rofl: When you start talking about gearing...ya lose me. I love the idea of simple. I may be mkn an assumption but easier is often less money....the MPG seems aprox the same how aboutprice/installed?? Am I wrong to think the 1HZ would be cheaper overall?
They would probably work out to be about the same cost wise. A used 1HZ is cheaper than an R2.8, but you will need to spend some time and money on refreshing it. (injection pump and injector rebuild at a minimum) You'll also need to buy a lot of random fittings and accessory parts that the R2.8 might come with. There is also the unknown of buying a used engine to consider with the 1HZ route. (..my engine is 2 years older than I am....)
Labor costs for the install can vary depending on how much experience the shop has with these swaps, but one way or another its going to be expensive if someone else is building it for you.
I originally planned on doing the swap myself, but because of an upcoming move out of state I've ended up commissioning a friend with a lot of experience with 1HZ swaps to help me expedite the project. I did all the work to get the engine ready and collected as many of the miscellaneous parts that I could think of so that we would have a headstart when we pulled the 2F and started the swap.

As with any engine swap... its either going to take a lot of work and time, or its going to be expensive.

I got the timing plate back on and the cam back in. New water pump and thermostat on. I also disassembled the smog pump and repacked all the needle bearings with grease, the difference it made is wild. Lifters, pushrods and rocker arms will go back on tonight and then I’ll start putting all the new hoses and OEM clamps on it. Finished off with a new mishimoto radiator and 3FE fan clutch.

A3BFF29E-4507-4FBF-A2E8-92F8A5071FAF.jpeg

98FD8121-57AC-47F1-B747-1C4298F6A2FE.jpeg

Last weekend I drove my 60 to the Oregon coast to pick up a transmission, transfer case, flywheels, carb, and manifold from @Guster. A couple of buddies were able to tag along and we turned it into a great 24-hour trip. We camped at Nehalem Bay State Park, grabbed beers from DeGarde in Tillamook, picked up the parts, rolled over 300,000 miles on 101, and picked up my new mountain bike from REI Portland. We got home in time for me to try out the bike on some trails near my house.

View attachment 2666817

View attachment 2666818
That is one small chainring. Nice looking bike.

Should have got pics, but tried the wheels from my 2011 4runner on the 60. Clearance looked good.

Got a seat cushion. I kinda like it. Gives some extra height. My right knee has nothing to lean against like my left knee on the door. Definitely an improvement albeit goofy. $15 at Costco. Maybe I’ll install in under the cover to prevent sliding. My head touches the ceiling, had to raise the steering wheel, and the e-brake feels like it’s in the basement. Comfortable though. Just an experiment.

43FE3E1D-D35F-45B3-BCCD-56F8A1E62D80.jpeg

Finally got my new radio installed with the bracket from @ChaserFJ60 Big improvement over what I had. I used the spacers the bracket came with and spaced the DIN sleeve forward. My dash cap isn’t glued down so it needed some extra.

12C4A282-E493-42EB-B279-E8EE6956816C.jpeg

68ED4FBC-56B7-442E-81D2-72D84B5680E2.jpeg

The aftermath

AD6902FB-D077-4E14-B1C7-BBC660A4A9CE.jpeg

Note the foam removed from the back side of the dash. I had to get creative with a razor blade in a few spots. Had to put washers on the rear bolts to give more tilt to the bracket. I think my dash pad is warped along the lower opening. #texasheat

Still gotta figure out where to place the microphone. Nice to have Bluetooth in the Cruiser.

Cheers :beer:

No pics but also replaced my taillight gaskets after I installed the new hood insulator. Got the reproduction gaskets from CityRacer and they were top notch. Very pleased as my originals were starting to allow moisture penetration. Highly recommend for anyone in need.

Got a seat cushion. I kinda like it. Gives some extra height. My right knee has nothing to lean against like my left knee on the door. Definitely an improvement albeit goofy. $15 at Costco. Maybe I’ll install in under the cover to prevent sliding. My head touches the ceiling, had to raise the steering wheel, and the e-brake feels like it’s in the basement. Comfortable though. Just an experiment.

View attachment 2669747

Finally got my new radio installed with the bracket from @ChaserFJ60 Big improvement over what I had. I used the spacers the bracket came with and spaced the DIN sleeve forward. My dash cap isn’t glued down so it needed some extra.

View attachment 2669745

View attachment 2669744

The aftermath

View attachment 2669746

Note the foam removed from the back side of the dash. I had to get creative with a razor blade in a few spots. Had to put washers on the rear bolts to give more tilt to the bracket. I think my dash pad is warped along the lower opening. #texasheat

Still gotta figure out where to place the microphone. Nice to have Bluetooth in the Cruiser.

Cheers :beer:
I installed new foam bottom from SOR. It raised me up a good 3 inches or more. I love not having to use the sun visor as often, but I have a better view of the 60's corners now. I was surprised at how much difference a new cushion made.

After the monsoon we had last week, I finally did the 4Runner wiper upgrade. Supposed to rain again Wednesday so we will see what a difference it makes.
It was stupid easy. Like it took more time to fill the gas tank than to swap the arms.
C9A4CB6B-4816-41DC-B17D-AB9FFAF6492D.jpeg

Also had planned on replacing the rear exhaust but someone forgot to order the exhaust pipe cushions. So that is being delayed until next weekend.
5327518A-CCF0-4384-9E8A-135802F91F59.jpeg

After the monsoon we had last week, I finally did the 4Runner wiper upgrade. Supposed to rain again Wednesday so we will see what a difference it makes.
It was stupid easy. Like it took more time to fill the gas tank than to swap the arms.
View attachment 2670649

Also had planned on replacing the rear exhaust but someone forgot to order the exhaust pipe cushions. So that is being delayed until next weekend.
View attachment 2670650
I have one on order as well!
Great job

I installed new foam bottom from SOR. It raised me up a good 3 inches or more. I love not having to use the sun visor as often, but I have a better view of the 60's corners now. I was surprised at how much difference a new cushion made.
hvn this done on my trip to Kellys.... very much hoping itll help with lower back support!!!

View attachment 2670649

View attachment 2670650
where did you order the wiper arms? part #? ty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom