What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (29 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started refreshing my front grill today with some Turtle Wax Aluminum polish and some fine steel wool. I figured it couldn't hurt...

Here's a pic "in progress"

View attachment 1405483

Here is a "before" close up of the top edge...

View attachment 1405484

Here is an "after" shot. I was really surprised to get a mirror like finish on the plastic.

View attachment 1405485

It takes a little bit of elbow grease, but I am very happy with the results so far...
Looks great. That should be worth about 15 horsepower. LOL. I painted mine black because I am lazy and don't want to polish.

Began the tear down to replace my heater core. Geez what an ordeal only got about 70% there. Had to stop
Before the BFH and a Sawzall were put to use.

On Saturday, went two tracking in the melting snow and mud to find out which boat launches on the Manistee River were open so we could slide a boat in.

IMG_6967_zpsw84fb1do.jpg

Sunday morning was blue bird sky and the deer were happy with the warmer weather. Probably saw over 100 moving throughout the day.

IMG_6968_zpsknzmzrue.jpg

Ended up sliding across a lawn and into the river at a Buddy’s house and towed it up a set of wood stairs about 5 hours later. Beautiful day.

IMG_6979_zpskykvo59s.jpg

Met @wardharris and got a great set of tires, thanks Ward! :cheers: Also the wheels showed up today we well. Off to the powder coaters soon.
33019413225_b0f0b027d9_b.jpg

On Thursday I completed the Saginaw power steering install using the kit from George.

Had to also replace the hydraulic hose that runs from the back of the pump down to the gear box. Hope I don't have to eventually put new seals in the gear box.

Sad to put a non-Toyota part on, but thought I'd try a $55 pump vs a $500 one.

Finally finished up the gauge pod install. Top to bottom: voltmeter for house battery/alternator, outside air temp( per the wife), and a real water temp gauge
DSCF1396.JPG

Discovered my secondary idle circuit valve was leaking gas at an alarming rate. Gutted the valve and sealed it back up with a bolt and some JB weld.
@blbuck12 how hard was this to do? Mine leaks ever so slightly and figuring since I am going to have to take the carb off soon to work on the secondary diaphragm I may as well gut that little sucker while Im at it!

Hardest part was researching what the damn thing was and what to do with it! It's pretty easy job, here are the steps I took to gut and plug it. 1) push lever arm pin out and remove lever (hammer and a nail) 2) cut brass bushing and valve stem flat with housing (grinder makes super quick work of this) 3) Use a small drill bit to drill out opposite sides of the brass bushing and remove contents. (try not to drill the aluminum) 4) tap and plug the hole

Here's a good explanation of the issue. Newly rebuilt carb leak - 86FJ60 leaking fuel at Carb - fj60 Secondary Slow Cut

Hardest part was researching what the damn thing was and what to do with it! It's pretty easy job, here are the steps I took to gut and plug it. 1) push lever arm pin out and remove lever (hammer and a nail) 2) cut brass bushing and valve stem flat with housing (grinder makes super quick work of this) 3) Use a small drill bit to drill out opposite sides of the brass bushing and remove contents. (try not to drill the aluminum) 4) tap and plug the hole

Here's a good explanation of the issue. Newly rebuilt carb leak - 86FJ60 leaking fuel at Carb - fj60 Secondary Slow Cut
Yeah I have one of the threads on how to do it "Watched" somewhere in the mix just haven't gotten around to it and it was a good month or two after I rebuilt my carb and top end that I noticed the leak. Luckily mine isn't bad, just leaks occasionally (or at least that I know of).

Plan to do small write-up?
I should probably take a few pics, although it is pretty straight forward stuff. Maybe this weekend, if I can get inspired.

How do you find the angle of the pods? Our 60's have a very steep a pillar

Haven't spent a bunch of time behind the wheel since the install, but it seems fine. You definitely have to look over.

I finally got around to fixing the leaky seal between my trans and transfer case. I made good progress today, got it out and cleaned em up.
2 cans of engine degreaser and a steam cleaner

I do not envy you *shudder*. Nasty job for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom