What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Definitely the one I wanted, but so very pricey! Got the Hopkins Insight for $80 including the vehicle specific plug, then made use of the abandoned suspension control switch location:

20181230_164502.jpg

1225181627c.jpg

Definitely the one I wanted, but so very pricey! Got the Hopkins Insight for $80 including the vehicle specific plug, then made use of the abandoned suspension control switch location:

View attachment 1870432

View attachment 1870433
To be honest it was your post that made me choose the red arc. It was funny to me how you powdercoated that piece of metal to do your sweet mod to the rear door mentioning your attention to detail. To have that huge brake controller thing right there would kill me. The extra $120 was more than worth basically never having to see the unit .....to me (it came with the vehicle specific plug n play adapter too)

To have that huge brake controller thing right there would kill me. The extra $120 was more than worth basically never having to see the unit

Ahhh, gotcha. Well, compared to a traditional unit the Insight is hardly huge, but the Red Arc is much smaller yet.

Got TC cam tabs installed with new OEM LCA and cam bolts. Alignment as well. Drives great!

IMG_20190104_202047.jpg
MVIMG_20190105_100350.jpg
MVIMG_20190105_100631.jpg

@teejnut where are you getting your alignment done at? Front numbers look good.

Cool. I've heard good things about RPM in Monrovia. I will definitely check them out when I do my rear coil conversion. In terms of the rear wheel alignment, what are the specs for the rear on the GX470? I noticed your rear has -0.4 camber on one side.

Last edited:
Today, I put on a matte black hood decal from Amaesing Decal. Went on pretty easy but I do have a little experience with vinyl wrap. My paint is starting to go on my hood so I figured this might give me a couple years before a repaint.

Very nice! Love how it matches the snorkel, very tasteful.

Cool. I've heard good things about RPM in Monrovia. I will definitely check them out when I do my rear coil conversion. In terms of the rear wheel alignment, what are the specs for the rear on the GX470? I noticed your rear has -0.4 camber on one side.

Don't believe there are specs as it's not adjustable unless you get aftermarket arms. Lifting the rear will cause those numbers to change from stock. The numbers seem minor to me to worry. A bent housing could cause bad numbers in the rear though.

Drove from Baton Rouge to Lafayette to check out the Salvador Dali exhibit in the museum there. Saw a blacked-out rooftop-tented GX... does that count for anything?

... and the SwampGX is at Lexus for the dash replacement

I got a good reminder of the importance of decision-making this morning.

Goldie pulled a 2nd gen TRD Off-road Tacoma and, about a 1000 feet down the road, a new (paper plates) Grand Cherokee Trailhawk out of snowy ditches this morning on my way to work. Both the Tacoma and GC had pretty good tires (BFG KO2 and Duratracs, respectively); it was all pilot error for both. The Tacoma drove off the soft shoulder into the ditch, then bogged itself. Never switched to low or locked the rear (he didn't know how to). The GC jumped a plow bank in the semi-plowed parking pullout and high-centered itself. They tried the locker, but no locker will help when you're suspended without traction...

This was a good reminder to me that any of us can get overconfident even with stout vehicles. Knowing how to use our rigs is also important, and making good decisions is the most important.

Anyone know if there is a "Make Good Decisions" patch I could put on my headliner as a reminder? I feel like that would be a mod that would probably benefit me greatly.

(sorry for the lack of pictures, but snapping photos seems in poor taste while dragging someone out)

*EDIT: A coworker just informed me that the GC doesn't have a locking diff, so I don't know what that driver thought they had done when they said that... Yet another reminder to know your gear.*

Last edited:
Over the New Year's holiday we spent four nights and five days crawling around Death Valley. One GX and one 1996 T4R. During this trip the magic vehicle naming fairy appeared, and Grace was christened. It was cold as hell, some sections of Mengel Pass were ice-over-granite (A-TRAC ate those up), and I was nekkid as a Jay bird in the Saline Valley Hot Springs when two F-15's did a ~150m low-pass overhead. Also, we now have a nice family photo for the holiday update I will never send: mom, dad, baby in front of Barker Ranch entrance gate. Keep it creepy, friends.

IMG_20181229_165035.jpg

Welp, I don't have a picture of it, but I shelled out $5.75/gal in Panamint Springs. Worth every single-digit MPG ;)

I've also been playing with non-intrusive phone mount concepts. Use a RAM Mount clamp device to mount the phone to the hand brake. This is likely neither final nor safe, but it's the sturdiest 'below the fold' method I've found to-date.

Don't forget to bask in the wondrous comfort of the Costco seat covers. Mmmmmmm.

gx470phonebrake.jpg

Nice Kodik tent above, we had one when the kids were younger and even had it in DV on a New Years trip several years ago. Great tent and memories.

Over the New Year's holiday we spent four nights and five days crawling around Death Valley. One GX and one 1996 T4R. During this trip the magic vehicle naming fairy appeared, and Grace was christened. It was cold as hell, some sections of Mengel Pass were ice-over-granite (A-TRAC ate those up), and I was nekkid as a Jay bird in the Saline Valley Hot Springs when two F-15's did a ~150m low-pass overhead. Also, we now have a nice family photo for the holiday update I will never send: mom, dad, baby in front of Barker Ranch entrance gate. Keep it creepy, friends.

View attachment 1873716

We were in DV the weekend after Thanksgiving. We went out to the Racetrack which was a bucket list item for me.

Welp, I don't have a picture of it, but I shelled out $5.75/gal in Panamint Springs. Worth every single-digit MPG ;)

Should have filled up just enough to get to Trona it is much cheaper if you go to the North station not the Shell in Trona.

We also found it was cheaper gas just inside the park before the dunes compared to Panamint Valley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom