Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not my Cruiser, but the battery was originally in my 80.

DieHard Platinum Group 34/78DT date code 8-14.

Just pulled it out of my wife's Subaru Outback, where it's been since May 2015. Hasn't quit yet, but it's getting sluggish. Amazed it lasted this long. Replaced with Costco interstate.

My DieHard platinum went 11 years. Then I bought an O`reillys that only lasted 2 years. Talk about disappointing!

New Loncky (Amazon)leather steering wheel cover! I didn’t have access to my steering wheel puller, so I left it on the truck. Not a perfect install by me, but happy for the price (<$60). The color match was great!

E9404C48-FCE7-455C-B03C-02A1BFACEF65.jpeg

New Loncky (Amazon)leather steering wheel cover! I didn’t have access to my steering wheel puller, so I left it on the truck. Not a perfect install by me, but happy for the price (<$60). The color match was great!

View attachment 2974351
Looks great! Got a link?

View attachment 2974351

That looks great! I need to do the same. How long was the stitching time?

@medtro, Probably 2.5 hours to get all the double sided tape in place, watch a video, and stitch it. It was easy; really no leather to punch through, but the hands do get tired. Could have been faster off the truck. But, without a puller, my steering wheel wouldn’t budge, and it wasn’t worth a hernia😁. Pulling the wheel adds a few steps, and maybe time to the equation, but it’s a wash whether it’s worth it.

Last edited:

View attachment 2974351
looks great Pitch.

Getting the FJ40 ready for Cruise Moab 2022.

So far I've (almost) rotated the tires, done both knuckles and repacked the wheel bearings - oil change is next on the list for tomorrow and then I'll be (almost) ready to Cruise Moab!

The driver knuckle had a broken drive pin, so I drilled the knuckle to install two new oversize pins.

I was pleased to see that the wheel bearings were in great shape and the Marlin HD axle seals did their job - no evidence of diff oil in either knuckle after 10 years. The Stay-Lube Moly I used ten years ago looked like it was fresh out of the tube.

The (almost) is due to the one-inch long nail I found in a tire. It hadn't leaked down since my last trip and I almost didn't see it. I finished the passenger knuckle and was rolling the tire over to put it on and saw a suspiciously shiny spot. It went flat as soon as I pulled the nail out.

I was planning on leaving for Moab on Thursday afternoon, but now I need to take the tire down to Discount Tire and see if they can patch it. I'll also get a fresh set of tire plugs just in case.

Drilling new drive pin holes in the driver's side knuckle.
7D_42269.JPG

I bought this drive pin drilling template back when I had broken drive pins on my original small FJ40 knuckles. It worked just fine on large FJ62 knuckle.
7D_42270-Small.jpg

Ten year old Stay-Lube Moly grease looked exactly like it does in a new fresh tube - no diff oil contamination.
7D_42271-Small.jpg

Repacked the birfs & knuckles with Stay-Lube Moly like last time, and the wheel bearings with Oreilly's house brand disc brake wheel bearing grease.
7D_42274-Small.jpg

Things were going too well for Cruise Moab prep this year I suppose - spotted this nail in the last tire in the rotation. I hope Discount Tire can fix it on Thursday or they have a replacement KM3 in stock.
7D_42275-Small.jpg

One-inch-long nail right in the meaty part - should be patchable. Strange thing is it hadn't leaked down since my last trip out. Leaked down pretty fast when I pulled the nail tho :rofl:
7D_42277-Small.jpg

What sold you on the Spartan locker? I'm planning for my re-gear and TC gears and am torn on if I want to go with an electronic vs. ARB lockers while I'm in there.
we have the OEM electric lockers in the '97 LX450, and ARB lockers in the '93 80 - you are welcome to a discussion about the comparison between both

New shoes for the 45. They are kenda klever 33x9.50x15 and came out exactly as I wanted. They measure 31.3 at 30psi and ride much better than the 18 year old bfg’s or the 25+ year old tires on split rims. Sprayed the fj40 wheels with some slightly darker paint than the original split rims and cleaned up the hub caps.
6A72F710-C6C1-420A-AACD-2A9D204E6B2B.jpeg
35B6490A-AE2E-4AC6-9FDB-929662F8150D.jpeg
1776E301-AB73-4C02-AA69-725E2B064695.jpeg

Pulled out a palm/banana plant with the LC. I had just taken the weighted blanket off as I was repositioning the strap.

tree after.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom