What are you guys using for radiator overflow cans? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So this might be a dumb questions but why do i need an overflow can? My truck did not come with one and seems to be holding its temp fine. The overflow tube goes down under the frame and just vents/drips there. Is this really bad? I just ordered my FSM's so I'm sure this will be answered in that but how much coolant is supposed to be put in when doing a change?
When it's a hundred and ten and you do a lot of stop and start in a day, you can loose alot of coolant. Good idea to have one.

This is my temporary eco-friendly (recycling) fix. :D
DSCN0410.jpg

Done

Put one in from Baxter auto in Portland. 7.99 for the reservoir and 2.00 for the hose. About 1/2 hour and 4 beers later . Wallah!
reservoir.jpg
mount.jpg

Well sure enough I had to fawk with it!. I installed the overflow jug. I noticed the rad cap was releasing the antifreeze at too low of a pressure. (I didn't measure it , it just seemed to come out when it wasn't very hot) any hoo. I got a new 13 lb. Stant rad. cap. well now I have a lower hose leak with a big bulge. It found the next weakest spot!. I'm gonna replace all the hoses today and hope my little piggie stops there. The next thing would be the radiator and or heater core then maybe the head gasket. I hope it stops!

So this might be a dumb questions but why do i need an overflow can?

Dogs and I *think* cats (and other assorted wildlife) like to drink antifreeze. It will kill them. Reason enough for me...

I use my stocker.

There was a great thread on here about using Nalgene bottles. I am surprised it has not turned up yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom